“We can smile today because we have Josh Allen”

JohnNord

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I mean, the Browns, Jets, and Broncos front office all do this 24x7 and they were wrong too. Let's face it, even the Bills were kind of wrong. If they had any idea, they would have traded up to #1. If the Bills were so smart, they would have just drafted Mahomes the year earlier when he was on the board. The reality of the situation is that you do what you can based on measurables, interviews, game tape and gut. Josh Allen became a better pro than he was at any other point in his career.

He clearly had the right mental makeup to get there, and I think a lot of that was coaching too. He was pretty bad his first two years in the league overall, despite the flashes of athleticism. What happened in year 3 - nothing like that has ever happened before. He took a really big jump in year 4 too with his judgement, touch, and protecting himself and the football, but that year 3 jump is something coaches and GMs will unpack forever.

Everything you say is correct.  But the 24x7 guys still know infinitely more than the draft experts among the fanbase.

We see it every single draft weekend.  Immediate pronouncements that the Bills blew it w/ a pick, and that "I had this guy much later in my mock."  

Most fans just check a few draft boards and watch some youtube.  We're not scouts.  My attitude on draft day is to hope for a certain pick - but as soon as the pick is made, I'm all in & trust the decision-makers, unless they have a terrible track record.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Everything you say is correct.  But the 24x7 guys still know infinitely more than the draft experts among the fanbase.

We see it every single draft weekend.  Immediate pronouncements that the Bills blew it w/ a pick, and that "I had this guy much later in my mock."  

Most fans just check a few draft boards and watch some youtube.  We're not scouts.  My attitude on draft day is to hope for a certain pick - but as soon as the pick is made, I'm all in & trust the decision-makers, unless they have a terrible track record.

Sure, but isn't part of being a fan is playing the armchair coach/GM role?

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What happened in year 3 - nothing like that has ever happened before. He took a really big jump in year 4 too with his judgement, touch, and protecting himself and the football, but that year 3 jump is something coaches and GMs will unpack forever.

It was the most massive step up in a single season by any QB in the history of the NFL.

Nobody has ever seen anything like it and I'm still not convinced there is even a close 2nd.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

It was the most massive step up in a single season by any QB in the history of the NFL.

Nobody has ever seen anything like it and I'm still not convinced there is even a close 2nd.

I was an all-time Allen detractor when he was drafted through most of year two - though I did like some of the things he did there. By the time year 3 was half over - if you were still hating the kid you were clueless. He still needed to be better, and then he did that this year. Now, I don't think he needs to be any better, but he still could be.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Success said:

It's astounding.

I swear, one of my biggest pet peeves in sports is NFL Draft Day, when some fans check a few mocks a week ahead of time and think they know more than scouts & GM's who do this 24x7. 

There couldn't be more of a stark refutation of that mentality than some of the conclusive statements made about Allen on that thread.  And I've only read a few.

Dude, it’s part of being a fan. Of course we aren’t qualified to question a GM, coach, scout, player, etc. about football. None of us do any real scouting. 

Sorry, these takes are sort of a pet peeve of mine. OK cool. I guess I’ll just sit here all apathetic towards everything. Why even join a message board if your believe the “you don’t know more than the coach route”?

I didn’t like Vlad Ducasse but he’s better at football than I am. Not to mention McBeane brought him in. So I guess I won’t question it, or have an opinion. We aren’t building bridges. Sports fandom is a relative hobby with no real life consequences. Let people have their fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Dude, it’s part of being a fan. Of course we aren’t qualified to question a GM, coach, scout, player, etc. about football. None of us do any real scouting. 

Sorry, these takes are sort of a pet peeve of mine. OK cool. I guess I’ll just sit here all apathetic towards everything. Why even join a message board if your believe the “you don’t know more than the coach route”?

I didn’t like Vlad Ducasse but he’s better at football than I am. Not to mention McBeane brought him in. So I guess I won’t question it, or have an opinion. We aren’t building bridges. Sports fandom is a relative hobby with no real life consequences. Let people have their fun. 

And to your point, if you followed just about all of the draft “experts” they all had the same negative prognosis for Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

Glad I was shown to be pleased with the Allen pick right in the first few pages!

Some of those takes are hilariously bad.

You can see the origin of the irrational Allen hate on that thread. Man!

And who is this poster: LEBills because he got it EXACTLY right.  Bean needs to hire this guy and put him on the Bills staff.

Posted April 26, 2018

YESSSSSS!!!!

To all those that are disappointed. You will be very pleasantly surprised. He will burst into the scene like Cam Newton did when he came out of the gate and surprised everyone with how well he could throw.

His accuracy is going to be improved with the work he has done on his footwork and mechanics. 

Besides that, he is a great kid and a great leader. He was Wyoming this year and had to shoulder more responsibility than any other QB this year. 

I know many many of you are disappointed, but I am so excited. I’m normally a guy that would write off a QB with Allen’s stats. But he is different. The stats don’t match the ability. Now I hope we can all embrace him as he leads us into the future!

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You can see the origin of the irrational Allen hate on that thread. Man!

And who is this poster: LEBills because he got it EXACTLY right.  Bean needs to hire this guy and put him on the Bills staff.

Posted April 26, 2018

YESSSSSS!!!!

To all those that are disappointed. You will be very pleasantly surprised. He will burst into the scene like Cam Newton did when he came out of the gate and surprised everyone with how well he could throw.

His accuracy is going to be improved with the work he has done on his footwork and mechanics. 

Besides that, he is a great kid and a great leader. He was Wyoming this year and had to shoulder more responsibility than any other QB this year. 

I know many many of you are disappointed, but I am so excited. I’m normally a guy that would write off a QB with Allen’s stats. But he is different. The stats don’t match the ability. Now I hope we can all embrace him as he leads us into the future!

GO BILLS!!!

The hate was no less "rational" than the praise. There are QBs drafted every year, and often early int he first round. All the guys that draft them think they're going to be "the one". It's up the the players to go out there and do it. Some of the 1rst round guys flame out of the league in 3 years and some of the day 3 guys turn into Tom Brady and Russell Wilson.

There's a certain element of it that's really just luck.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, Process said:

Omg, that thread is incredible, and I only made it six pages in. Thank you so much. 

Your reaction made me want to re-read. It’s downright hilarious. Each one was more absurd than the next take. Someone on page 1 said he was going to be a HoFer… I can’t tell if it was sarcasm or a Ruthian called shot. 

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

And to your point, if you followed just about all of the draft “experts” they all had the same negative prognosis for Allen.  

Here is a wild concept. Nathan Peterman is a better QB than every poster on this board…

Shut it all down!

I am still critical of Allen some weeks. I don’t know that anybody “got it wrong” about Allen. The dude is an absolute unicorn. His trajectory defies basically anything anybody else has ever done in pro football. He’s had moments and even stretches where he was very bad. Other teams are going to replicate Allen in the next few years, and it’s going to set franchises back years and years. They’ll end up sticking with a guy who was never very good, through a bunch of bad play. Only to come out the other side with a really bad QB.

2 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

Your reaction made me want to re-read. It’s downright hilarious. Each one was more absurd than the next take. Someone on page 1 said he was going to be a HoFer… I can’t tell if it was sarcasm or a Ruthian called shot. 

At some point I am going to go though all 107 pages, the first few were amazing and it probably only gets better

31 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The hate was no less "rational" than the praise. There are QBs drafted every year, and often early int he first round. All the guys that draft them think they're going to be "the one". It's up the the players to go out there and do it. Some of the 1rst round guys flame out of the league in 3 years and some of the day 3 guys turn into Tom Brady and Russell Wilson.

There's a certain element of it that's really just luck.

I disagree. I'm a huge college football fan and I remember watching several of Allen's Wyoming games on late night ESPN. And I saw things that I had never seen before from a QB.  I remember thinking wouldn't it be cool if the Bills drafted this kid. 

Over the last 10 years there have only been two college QB's I had seen multiple times who I was confident would be great in the NFL: Josh Allen & Joe Burrow.  You could just see that each guy had the it factor.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mango said:

I wouldn't want to deny fans their fun, or opinions.  But I'll never not be annoyed by the hot takes on draft day.  Especially when posters ridicule those who disagree w/ them.  

I mean, that thread is a "wrong Josh" festival.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

It's astounding.

I swear, one of my biggest pet peeves in sports is NFL Draft Day, when some fans check a few mocks a week ahead of time and think they know more than scouts & GM's who do this 24x7. 

There couldn't be more of a stark refutation of that mentality than some of the conclusive statements made about Allen on that thread.  And I've only read a few.

That happens in a lot of things, not just in sports.  People often think they know more than they do.  They hear things on the news or from their friends and think it's correct and move forward with it as fact.  The saying "I know just enough to be dangerous" is a riff off of this type of thinking.  

That said, that thread is golden!  There are so many posts, I can't remember if I commented.  Haha

• Like (+1) 2

Well if there's one thing we know as Bills fans, it's really hard to find an elite QB even if you tank and have a high pick.   There are some years college football doesn't produce a single franchise QB.   It takes a long time and some luck to get one, but once you do then you're in the hunt every year.

Not only did we a get a franchise guy, we have one of the most unique and fun to watch qb's to ever play the position.  And he doesn't have that d*ckhead air about him like Rogers, Baker, Cutler etc.  He's cool, loves Buffalo and we love him back.  So we get 10 years of expecting to win our division, and one of these years we'll get a trophy with this kid.  There's just no doubt in my mind.

Too bad he wasn't covering Kelce or we'd be playing Sunday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Look at it this way: Put Josh on the Chiefs and Mahomes with the Bills.  Who wins more?  I think the Chiefs would do better and the Bills would slip a bit.  Give Josh Hill and Kelce and CEH and Hardman, and that O line, and it's a terribly scary thing to contemplate.  OTOH I don't think Mahomes could get as much, let alone more, out of the Bills compared to what Josh does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.