“We can smile today because we have Josh Allen”

JohnNord

I’ve been avoiding a lot of Bills coverage because the last thing I want to do is to relive the disappointment from Sunday.  But I came across this quote from Brandon Beane:

We can smile today because we have Josh Allen.

This really connected with me.  As bad as the loss feels in the moment, the larger view is Sunday cemented what many in this forum already believed - Josh Allen is an elite level quarterback.   The sample size is there - he’s not a one-year wonder taking advantage of a weak schedule.  There isn’t going to be a regression like Matthew Fairburn theorized last summer.  He certainly isn’t a product of Brian Daboll.

Buffalo has a legitimate franchise QB who is arguably one of the 2 best in the NFL and could get even better.  What happens when your team has an elite level QB?  Everything falls into place.  You contend every single season.  There is no “window” when you have a top QB.  

It seems like something changed with Josh in the playoffs this season just as it did during the start of the 2020 season.  As the moment and competition got higher so did his level of play.  

I think 2022 will be Josh Allen’s best year yet.  I’ve never been one for overly optimistic takes but I’m pretty sure that this team is set up for success for no other reason than #17.

Go Bills

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I've been smiling since we drafted him...

Me to.  From the very beginning the kid seemed different to all the previous QB's going back to Kelly. When I first saw Kelly play and he struggled his first couple of years in Buffalo, you could still see the combination of passion and talent. The same is true with Allen. We waited over 20 years to get the guy and we got him.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I've been smiling since we drafted him...

Same but because of the bias against him from members of the media, there was a lot of talk of Allen being a “one year wonder” or a good - not great quarterback.  I think he showed exactly what kind of QB he is on Sunday.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Same but because of the bias against him from members of the media, there was a lot of talk of Allen being a “one year wonder” or a good - not great quarterback.  I think he showed exactly what kind of QB he is on Sunday.  

Really?  Thats not what your alt said back in 2018 lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

When he plays his best football in the playoffs (multiple games) nstead of melting down under pressure... that is a sign that he is a mentally elite QB. And that is the most important reason he won't regress. Of course he will still have a bad game from time to time, but I think he will be more consistent next year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've watched the NFL for decades.  Quarterbacks like Josh Allen win Super Bowls. They don't NOT win Super Bowls.

And don't give me Marino.  First, he was a great passer - but he's not Josh Allen. He couldn't create like Allen, and he certainly couldn't run like Allen.  And those Miami teams were always poorly constructed. 

Beyond all that, they couldn't get by the Buffalo Bills.  People rarely talk about that when they cite the Marino quote about how he always thought he'd get back to the big game.  We won't have that kind of competition on the division for at least a few years, and I'd wager for a lot longer than that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

When he plays his best football in the playoffs (multiple games) nstead of melting down under pressure... that is a sign that he is a mentally elite QB. And that is the most important reason he won't regress. Of course he will still have a bad game from time to time, but I think he will be more consistent next year.

I see him getting close to 40tds (passing) and 5000 yards next season. He will be the MVP and we will likely go 14-3. More focused and no loses to teams like Jacksonville. He's a little more than elite. He's a generational superstar. That's why last Sunday hurt so bad.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he really kicked it up a notch in that Tampa game and has been full steam ahead, striking a great balance of using talent and being patient when he needs to be.  Highway robbery that he wasn't voted in.  Ridiculous.

Edited by cgang
  • Agree 1

yes, the only saving grace in this disaster

we have the best QB in the entire league going forward ...yes thats right.....#1.....mahomes is #2, he has better weapons.

but i'm not ready to smile...it's still hurts too much....in fact, i'm still furious/pissed at the coaching.

it's gonna be awhile....probably til the draft

30 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I see him getting close to 40tds (passing) and 5000 yards next season. He will be the MVP and we will likely go 14-3. More focused and no loses to teams like Jacksonville. He's a little more than elite. He's a generational superstar. That's why last Sunday hurt so bad.

If you're familiar with the concept of anti-fragile, it means people or things that get better the more pain or adversity you put them in. They are literally the opposite of fragile. Adversity makes them stronger. That's Allen since day one. 

God help the rest of the NFL next season. We may be looking at an all-time great year. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Omg, that thread is incredible, and I only made it six pages in. Thank you so much. 

It's astounding.

I swear, one of my biggest pet peeves in sports is NFL Draft Day, when some fans check a few mocks a week ahead of time and think they know more than scouts & GM's who do this 24x7. 

There couldn't be more of a stark refutation of that mentality than some of the conclusive statements made about Allen on that thread.  And I've only read a few.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Success said:

I've watched the NFL for decades.  Quarterbacks like Josh Allen win Super Bowls. They don't NOT win Super Bowls.

And don't give me Marino.  First, he was a great passer - but he's not Josh Allen. He couldn't create like Allen, and he certainly couldn't run like Allen.  And those Miami teams were always poorly constructed. 

Beyond all that, they couldn't get by the Buffalo Bills.  People rarely talk about that when they cite the Marino quote about how he always thought he'd get back to the big game.  We won't have that kind of competition on the division for at least a few years, and I'd wager for a lot longer than that.

I somewhat agree with you- but as it stands now, we can't get by the Kansas City Chiefs.  They are a talented well coached team with talent at all levels and have their own superstar QB to boot.  

2 minutes ago, saundena said:

I somewhat agree with you- but as it stands now, we can't get by the Kansas City Chiefs.  They are a talented well coached team with talent at all levels and have their own superstar QB to boot.  

Last year they blew us out, at their place.  This year, they needed a total breakdown w/ a few seconds left, at their place.

Let's get them at our place next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Success said:

It's astounding.

I swear, one of my biggest pet peeves in sports is NFL Draft Day, when some fans check a few mocks a week ahead of time and think they know more than scouts & GM's who do this 24x7. 

There couldn't be more of a stark refutation of that mentality than some of the conclusive statements made about Allen on that thread.  And I've only read a few.

I mean, the Browns, Jets, and Broncos front office all do this 24x7 and they were wrong too. Let's face it, even the Bills were kind of wrong. If they had any idea, they would have traded up to #1. If the Bills were so smart, they would have just drafted Mahomes the year earlier when he was on the board. The reality of the situation is that you do what you can based on measurables, interviews, game tape and gut. Josh Allen became a better pro than he was at any other point in his career.

He clearly had the right mental makeup to get there, and I think a lot of that was coaching too. He was pretty bad his first two years in the league overall, despite the flashes of athleticism. What happened in year 3 - nothing like that has ever happened before. He took a really big jump in year 4 too with his judgement, touch, and protecting himself and the football, but that year 3 jump is something coaches and GMs will unpack forever.

Edited by BullBuchanan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.