Bills should pay close attention to whoever the Raiders and Broncos hire as new HC

FilthyBeast

Reason I say this is the obvious chess match at play here. Just like the Bills, these organizations understand they have to build a team that can compete with and beat the Chiefs in the coming years. And for both the stakes are infinitely higher since the Chiefs are a divisional opponent they will see twice a year. So it's not surprising that neither have pulled the trigger yet and doing their due diligence on the next leader of their team. Will it be fresh faces or retreads. Defensive or offensive minded.

Miami is also in a similar situation knowing they have to deal with Allen and the Bills twice a year and have lost 6 straight to them. And overall it's somewhat surprising the first domino has not fallen yet with so many jobs open right now.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Reason I say this is the obvious chess match at play here. Just like the Bills, these organizations understand they have to build a team that can compete with and beat the Chiefs in the coming years. And for both the stakes are infinitely higher since the Chiefs are a divisional opponent they will see twice a year. So it's not surprising that neither have pulled the trigger yet and doing their due diligence on the next leader of their team. Will it be fresh faces or retreads. Defensive or offensive minded.

Miami is also in a similar situation knowing they have to deal with Allen and the Bills twice a year and have lost 6 straight to them. And overall it's somewhat surprising the first domino has not fallen yet with so many jobs open right now.

Really hate the term 'retread', such a derogatory way to describe someone looking to get another chance. Are we retreads when we seek a 2nd job in the same industry or just someone with practical experience?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm going out on a limb and say whoever the Raiders and Broncos hire for HC is the absolute last thing on the Bills mind. Or not on their mind at all

Obviously improving their own team is first priority, but I can guarantee they will have some degree of interest in what these teams do and what the philosophy behind it says.

The Chiefs are the gold standard for the entire league and it's simply an arms race league wide to keep up, but more so in the the AFC West and conference as a whole.

20 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Defensive or offensive minded.

HC should be offensive minded in every situation.

Having a defense guy as the HC is flat out the wrong way to go.

Why? B/C if the offensive genius in the house is plucked away to a HC job, you have to start over--which might well be the Bills this season.

If the offensive guy is your HC, he'll never be plucked away.

And offense is WAY more important than defense in the modern NFL.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

HC should be offensive minded in every situation.

Having a defense guy as the HC is flat out the wrong way to go.

Why? B/C if the offensive genius in the house is plucked away to a HC job, you have to start over--which might well be the Bills this season.

If the offensive guy is your HC, he'll never be plucked away.

And offense is WAY more important than defense in the modern NFL.

I've started to think that as well in recent years.

I used to believe in the 'defense wins championships' mantra but it's simply a different league now which is why the patriots evolved over time as well in that their first string of titles in the early 2000's were on the backs of the defense with Brady simply being great in clutch moments, to a team that was all about offense in Brady later on during the last string of titles in the mid/late 2010's. Even Brady's title with TB last year was an outlier considering it was in fact the defense that won that game against the Chiefs.

But I think with the rise of a true superpower like the Chiefs, first and foremost you need to think offensively which is why the Bills should also continue to build the oline and add Allen another weapon. Then compliment your defense with one key difference maker like the Chiefs have in Chris Jones who was still a problem for the Bills last week, albeit much less of one compared to last year.

Somehow, I don't see any HC turning Carr, Bridgewater/Lock, or Tua into facsimiles of Mahomes or Allen.   Miami is the only one of the three teams likely to make significant improve the near future, and that's because they have a massive amount of cap space and a treasure trove of draft picks.

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Somehow, I don't see any HC turning Carr, Bridgewater/Lock, or Tua into facsimiles of Mahomes or Allen.   Miami is the only one of the three teams likely to make significant improve the near future, and that's because they have a massive amount of cap space and a treasure trove of draft picks.

How much do you think Miami can improve with Tua as QB, a brand new head coach, and likely a new defensive scheme? 

Just now, BTB said:

Beane and McD need to build a team with one goal in mind…best AFC record and the #1 seed.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

That’s why they tried this year…they kept the team together and some of their decisions didn’t work out.  I think we see a little bit of a shakeup this season.  Nothing crazy but a lot of the veterans that were kept from last season probably won’t be back 

17 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

How much do you think Miami can improve with Tua as QB, a brand new head coach, and likely a new defensive scheme? 

I think that they have a significantly better chance to add more talent than either Las Vegas or Denver.  Whether they can actually do that is TBD. 

Edited by SoTier

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's 7 in a row but who's counting. 14-4 in the last 18

Edited by Starr Almighty
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've started to think that as well in recent years.

I used to believe in the 'defense wins championships' mantra but it's simply a different league now which is why the patriots evolved over time as well in that their first string of titles in the early 2000's were on the backs of the defense with Brady simply being great in clutch moments, to a team that was all about offense in Brady later on during the last string of titles in the mid/late 2010's. Even Brady's title with TB last year was an outlier considering it was in fact the defense that won that game against the Chiefs.

But I think with the rise of a true superpower like the Chiefs, first and foremost you need to think offensively which is why the Bills should also continue to build the oline and add Allen another weapon. Then compliment your defense with one key difference maker like the Chiefs have in Chris Jones who was still a problem for the Bills last week, albeit much less of one compared to last year.

Defenses still win Super Bowls. The Bucs defense rag-dolled the chefs O last year and ZkC's defense won the Super Bowl for KC the year before. I don't know why fans try to peddle this BS all the time. Go back to all the Super Bowl winners and you'll find a very good defense. The truth of the matter is you need balance. Balance is what wins Super Bowls. That's why the Bills lost to the chefs, not a good enough defense that completely choked in executing. The Bills D leaders are two safeties which is fine but we need more leaders. We need players in the front seven. Everybody in the front seven (but maybe Ed Oliver) choked in that game vs. the chefs. Oliver made a couple plays but we need more than one guy or perhaps someone better than Oliver.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.