Who is the best pass rusher we can get or available via trade

Fred Slacks

To me this is the biggest offseason question.  There are talented CB's in the draft.  I am sure we can move money and cap to get needed FA's.  But a DE difference maker is what we need.  A game wrecking dude.  Honestly I would trade 2 #1 picks to get one.  At this point I am tired of watching our D-line not get it done.

Side note Gronk s a FA.  Wouldn't hurt adding him as much of a tool as he is.  Great blocker and red zone threat.

• Like (+1) 2

It would be nice, but I can't see anyone being willing to part with an elite pass rusher.  They're almost as hard to find as QBs.  As far as FAs are concerned,  the Bills just don't have the cap room unless they're willing to seriously impact their ability to sign FAs in future years. 

Realistically,  I think they sign a late career veteran to a relatively inexpensive one year deal as a situational pass rusher and hope that one or more of Rousseau, Basham  and Epenesa turn the corner in their development.   If not,  then you go after a higher tier FA in 2023,  when the Bills are projected to have a lot more room to work with.  

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

To me this is the biggest offseason question.  There are talented CB's in the draft.  I am sure we can move money and cap to get needed FA's.  But a DE difference maker is what we need.  A game wrecking dude.  Honestly I would trade 2 #1 picks to get one.  At this point I am tired of watching our D-line not get it done.

Side note Gronk s a FA.  Wouldn't hurt adding him as much of a tool as he is.  Great blocker and red zone threat.

We just invested a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks in the DE position. I think the team should put faith in the development of the current players. They have all flashed. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Fred Slacks said:

Chandler Jones 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Would have to look at an aging (not necessarily old) one from a rebuilding team who knows it. Khalil Mack is really all I can see fitting the bill. I’d love TJ Watt, but I don’t think Pitt thinks they are too far away from competing even without Ben. 

I agree,  but I think the most likely outcome here is that they'll try to bring Hughes back on a one year deal. 

• Vomit 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

We need someone on defense, besides the secondary, that teams have to need to game plan for. We need either a lineman or linebacker that can change a game. We haven't had that since Mario Williams was here.

Please point out when an edge rusher "changed a game."

They don't and it's why blowing two first round picks on one would be foolish.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Would have to look at an aging (not necessarily old) one from a rebuilding team who knows it. Khalil Mack is really all I can see fitting the bill. I’d love TJ Watt, but I don’t think Pitt thinks they are too far away from competing even without Ben. 

Mack's cap number ($17.8 million next year, which doesn't include the bonus: https://overthecap.com/player/khalil-mack/2944/) is a problem unless the Bills do a serious restructure of the contract. I suppose much of it could be converted to bonus given that the Bills aren't on the hook for the Bears' bonus. 

But why would the Bears trade him? He's an elite player and they want to win next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

To be honest, I think a defensive focus is the wrong approach. They arguably have the best player in the league at QB.  If it were me,  I'd put the majority of my resources into supporting him with more speed and playmakers at the skill positions and improved line play,  and aim to have a top 10-15 defense rather than trying to be #1.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Mack's cap number ($17.8 million next year, which doesn't include the bonus: https://overthecap.com/player/khalil-mack/2944/) is a problem unless the Bills do a serious restructure of the contract. I suppose much of it could be converted to bonus given that the Bills aren't on the hook for the Bears' bonus. 

But why would the Bears trade him? He's an elite player and they want to win next season. 

I’m sure they want to win next season, but I’m thinking any competent executive will view that roster as not yet ready to compete. And Mack is on the wrong side of 30. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him moved in the off season.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m sure they want to win next season, but I’m thinking any competent executive will view that roster as not yet ready to compete. And Mack is on the wrong side of 30. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him moved in the off season.  

If Rodgers isn't in GB, that division is open for the taking. It's bad, although I'd say the Vikings would be a moderate favorite. Let's see what happens with Rodgers first. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Here’s 3 after 30 seconds of thinking…

Brandon Graham won the Eagles a super bowl with a strip sack of Brady.

Von Miller won the Broncos a Super Bowl with 5 yard lob Peyton Manning as a QB.

Justin Tuck wrecked the perfect season for the Patriots, by shift to inside and becoming unblockable .

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We just invested a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks in the DE position. I think the team should put faith in the development of the current players. They have all flashed. 

plus even if they sent 2 No.1s for some all world pass rusher, they don't have the cap space to pay the guy $25m per... is what it is.. I see most of this roster coming back , with expensive expendables replaced by low cost draft choices.   That's about all Beane can do.   Heck, I'd go into next year with this exact roster and be pretty darn happy.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.