Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No pop up kickoff still pisses me off.  Forcing them to burn 4-5 seconds would've changed everything. Then braindead could've run his prevent defense. 

Yeah that was definitely a mistake, that ball needed to be inside the 10. If they didn't return it they would have had farther to go and probably not enough time score. The defense was still to lose, not pressing Kelce at the line is egregious.

• Agree 2

I still can't get over the non-explanation from McDermott-- blaming execution. Nope, the players were put in a situation where the events that occurred were made possible. There is no accountability. I have to assume it was a Frazier/McDermott decison, which would explain why Frazier still has a job. Not upgrading the DC will keep a weak, play- not- to- lose coaching philosophy in place.

• Agree 1

No i don't believe so ! You only have a small window to make things happen as far asa championship goes & you have to have your ducks in a row to win one & even though that game wouldn't have put the Bills in the SB it would have been the next step & they would have gotten past the KC thing .

Maybe this game showed them that they weren't quite ready & they will learn & feed off of those mistakes in the coming year to give them the drive to put them over the top . Just a few changes in that game & i believe the Bills could have been in the SB unless of course the Bengals could have or would have done to Josh wha they did to KC .

Mistakes took another game away from the Bills this year but they didn't take away a SB because none of us know what would have happened if the Bills would have played the Bengals but being at home i for sure would have given the home team a huge boost !!  

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I still believe… convinced actually… that if the Bills were up by less than 3 points, they would’ve played those 13 seconds differently and with more urgency.

I agree. So many hindsights. Knowing how things unfolded should have went for 2. If we failed our chances of losing increase but I agree the defensive formations pre snap would not have been as absurd as they were. 

Sorry if already mentioned in this thread...

No doubt McD ***** the bed n those 13 seconds.... but I've been watching some of the Brady retirement Super Bowls on NFL Network, and absolutely nothing is more heinous than Seattle in the Malcolm Butler game. Nothing. Falcons meltdown isn't far behind. I still believe McD will get the job done.

Edited by Rico

On 2/5/2022 at 12:31 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

No pop up kickoff still pisses me off.  Forcing them to burn 4-5 seconds would've changed everything. Then braindead could've run his prevent defense. 

Here's the thing with the pop off kickoff.. I've practiced this a hundred times in football practice over the years

You're getting two kinds

A super super high pop-up that is caught at the 20-25.. which you can fair catch and no time is killed 

Or a hi pop up , it goes to like the 10 yard line... Week five of the regular season the other team will just catch it and return it 

With 13 seconds left in a playoff game.. the returner let's it go over his head and it bounces into the end zone.. and they get it at the 25 with no time off

I've actually simulated this live in football practices and went over this in my head a thousand times over the last two weeks.. these are the two most likely scenarios

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Rams have more talent without question, but Josh Allen>Stafford and not even close.…. Again, people still underestimate how much he has carried this team. 

I agree w/ that - but I think the Rams would be favored because of overall balance, and just having a better record.

I hope McD and Frazier watch that 13 seconds sequence repeatedly.  To win you play strong and aggressive.  That soft defense which they love to play does not work against a good and fast offense that the Chiefs have,   Those two failed because they went back to their old coaching playbook.  NFL is evolving and it is now for the bold.   

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I hope McD and Frazier watch that 13 seconds sequence repeatedly.  To win you play strong and aggressive.  That soft defense which they love to play does not work against a good and fast offense that the Chiefs have,   Those two failed because they went back to their old coaching playbook.  NFL is evolving and it is now for the bold.   

To that point, when facing top offenses I’d rather the defense get beat taking more chances with calculated blitzes, than sitting back rushing four down after down. Players like Hill are going to get theirs anyway even when playing conservative. We’ve seen time after time that a good QB can work through a disguised secondary before the 4 man rush gets home. Frazier’s defense only works against a top offense if we’ve got a monster DL - quick, fast, and strong - unfortunately we don’t have that. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:39 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yeah that was definitely a mistake, that ball needed to be inside the 10. If they didn't return it they would have had farther to go and probably not enough time score. The defense was still to lose, not pressing Kelce at the line is egregious.

What's absolutely nuts is Bass has successfully performed that exact pop up to the 10 yard line probably 15x this season. And maybe the return guy (Hardman) panics and calls a fair catch.  Obviously Sean's defensive scheme was a disgrace on those last 2 plays, but as SVP said on espn that night, "I'd give up a 20 yard return to shave off 5 seconds all day". Pure stupidity by Clappy.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What's absolutely nuts is Bass has successfully performed that exact pop up to the 10 yard line probably 15x this season. And maybe the return guy (Hardman) panics and calls a fair catch.  Obviously Sean's defensive scheme was a disgrace on those last 2 plays, but as SVP said on espn that night, "I'd give up a 20 yard return to shave off 5 seconds all day". Pure stupidity by Clappy.

The defense was a disgrace most of that night, not just the last 13 seconds of regulation. They gave up 552 yards of offense and 7.6 yards per play. They gave up the go ahead TD to Hill inside of two minutes and the losing TD in OT like they weren’t even on the field.

I do think people are focusing too much on those 13 seconds and should actually look at it as just a piece of how horrible they were overall, especially when you see how the Bengals less touted defense did in the subsequent game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know if that second half was more about the Bengal defense, or Mahomes losing whatever magic he had for the 9 quarters prior. He looked like a completely different player and wasn’t throwing to receivers that were actually open. It’s like he was afraid and gun-shy all of a sudden. Go back and look at the play towards the end of the game where he was running around like a blindfolded squirrel. There were receivers open in the endzone, small window, but nothing he hasn’t attempted before. I do think their failure to score before halftime was some sort of psychological turning point. And then that first INT to the big lineman cemented his downfall. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.