Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

Yes. We are truly overreacting.

13 seconds is still a big deal though, but I think this will not haunt us. I mean, I already moved on myself AFTER seeing how Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs had a nuclear meltdown against Joe Burrow's Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC Title game.

I'm happy that I'm not a Kansas City Chiefs fan. Holy crap. They have TONS of questions this Summer about the defense. I honestly think their DC has to be fired immediately, no questions asked. And the personnel on defense has to be changed up.

Truth is Mahomes Magic has weaknesses.

What a bunch of frauds. They gave us their best punch, but got cocky and ran out of gas against Cincinnati. The Bengals studied our mistakes from the Divisional game and capitalized on that.

And our defense WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH to beat Mahomes. Simply put, our defense collapsed. We didn't have a power running game. That flaw showed up, too.

GM Beane really has to strengthen our defense with hard hitters, discipline, and SPEED. The Bengals did just that. Why can't us? The Bengals got roughly 4 sacks, 2 picks, 2 tackles for loss, near sacks and near interceptions. That got into Mahomes' head; mind games. Mahomes had plenty of time in the pocket and he doubted everything.

The path to the Superbowl no longer goes through Kansas City. Let's face it...next year's Buffalo Bills (without major injuries) will crush Mahomes anyway. This doesn't mean that we're dismissing the Chiefs. No way. We're not dismissing anyone. It's just Mahomes is weak now. Their nuclear melt down was a huge hit to his legacy and their fan base's spirit.

The path now goes through Cincinnati and Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow is undefeated in close games or something like that since college (correct me if I'm wrong). He's probably the new Tom Brady. Also, The Bengals defense is damn good.

13 seconds. So what?

Kansas City Chiefs cannot live theirs down. I don't want to be them. This nuclear meltdown will be talked a lot ad nauseam. This is going to haunt them for a long time.

- Atlanta Falcons never recovered from their nuclear meltdown against Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

- Houston Oilers never recovered from our 1993 playoff comeback.

- The Tennessee Titans never recovered from the inches short from winning the Super Bowl against Kurt Warner's Rams.

- Seattle Seahawks has not recovered from QB Russell Wilson's fatal interception at the Super Bowl against Tom Brady and the Patriots.

We ACTUALLY recovered from Wide Right because we made 3 straight SB appearances after that. We circle the effin' wagons. We just didn't recover from Music City Miracle, and benching Doug Flutie for Rob Johnson, until 2019. That's a long damn recovery.

We're here now. I'm happy we did not go through a playoff nuclear melt down.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Yes. We are truly overreacting.

13 seconds is still a big deal though, but I think this will not haunt us. I mean, I already moved on myself AFTER seeing how Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs had a nuclear meltdown against Joe Burrow's Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC Title game.

I'm happy that I'm not a Kansas City Chiefs fan. Holy crap. They have TONS of questions this Summer about the defense. I honestly think their DC has to be fired immediately, no questions asked. And the personnel on defense has to be changed up.

Truth is Mahomes Magic has weaknesses.

What a bunch of frauds. They gave us their best punch, but got cocky and ran out of gas against Cincinnati. The Bengals studied our mistakes from the Divisional game and capitalized on that.

And our defense WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH to beat Mahomes. Simply put, our defense collapsed. We didn't have a power running game. That flaw showed up, too.

GM Beane really has to strengthen our defense with hard hitters, discipline, and SPEED. The Bengals did just that. Why can't us? The Bengals got roughly 4 sacks, 2 picks, 2 tackles for loss, near sacks and near interceptions. That got into Mahomes' head; mind games. Mahomes had plenty of time in the pocket and he doubted everything.

The path to the Superbowl no longer goes through Kansas City. Let's face it...next year's Buffalo Bills (without major injuries) will crush Mahomes anyway. This doesn't mean that we're dismissing the Chiefs. No way. We're not dismissing anyone. It's just Mahomes is weak now. Their nuclear melt down was a huge hit to his legacy and their fan base's spirit.

The path now goes through Cincinnati and Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow is undefeated in close games or something like that since college (correct me if I'm wrong). He's probably the new Tom Brady. Also, The Bengals defense is damn good.

13 seconds. So what?

Kansas City Chiefs cannot live theirs down. I don't want to be them. This nuclear meltdown will be talked a lot ad nauseam. This is going to haunt them for a long time.

- Atlanta Falcons never recovered from their nuclear meltdown against Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

- Houston Oilers never recovered from our 1993 playoff comeback.

- The Tennessee Titans never recovered from the inches short from winning the Super Bowl against Kurt Warner's Rams.

- Seattle Seahawks has not recovered from QB Russell Wilson's fatal interception at the Super Bowl against Tom Brady and the Patriots.

We ACTUALLY recovered from Wide Right because we made 3 straight SB appearances after that. We circle the effin' wagons. We just didn't recover from Music City Miracle, and benching Doug Flutie for Rob Johnson, until 2019. That's a long damn recovery.

We're here now. I'm happy we did not go through a playoff nuclear melt down.

This team is different than the other playoff Buffalo Bills teams. There was no self “victimization” on any level that was out there by this team post game and that big. Josh Allen post game comments show a lot about him and I think that when we meet KC next year in playoffs that we crush them. Don’t even think it’s gonna be close. I think we’ll be way more aggressive on D as well. 

The overreactions to this loss are understandable but aren’t accurate. The reactions are in large part because of the relationship and love this fan base has with Buffalo Bills.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:17 PM, Bermuda Triangle said:

Well, the defense sucked for the first 59:47 of the game as well.

Why did the offense wait so long to attack downfield when Mathieu went out?  

While the defense wasn’t at their best in this game two facts remain. The score was tied at halftime, and the Bills had the lead with just 13 seconds to go. You can always pick apart other moments in the game, but these are the most important points. 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

This team is different than the other playoff Buffalo Bills teams. There was no self “victimization” on any level that was out there by this team post game and that big. Josh Allen post game comments show a lot about him and I think that when we meet KC next year in playoffs that we crush them. Don’t even think it’s gonna be close. I think we’ll be way more aggressive on D as well. 

The overreactions to this loss are understandable but aren’t accurate. The reactions are in large part because of the relationship and love this fan base has with Buffalo Bills.

I already stated this. Why are you repeating what I wrote?

So you agree with me. Thanks.

A nuclear meltdown in the playoffs is 10,000x worse than 13 Seconds.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

It was a heartbreaking loss to say the least but overall a will played game. I think had the Chiefs not had any time outs it would have been far worse. I also think it would have been far worse to have lost on a fluke play like the "Music City Miracle". The team played well and the defensive play calling and defensive play in the end cost the Bills the game. It really just came down to who had the ball last. The will to win for both quarterbacks was off the charts and I would like to think had Allen had the ball in his hands in over time the Bills would have one. I don't think that any fan should feel ashamed of this one and I personally feel nothing but pride for the way they played. It simply didn't go the Bills way this time and they will live to fight another day.  

53 minutes ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

It was a heartbreaking loss to say the least but overall a will played game. I think had the Chiefs not had any time outs it would have been far worse. I also think it would have been far worse to have lost on a fluke play like the "Music City Miracle". The team played well and the defensive play calling and defensive play in the end cost the Bills the game. It really just came down to who had the ball last. The will to win for both quarterbacks was off the charts and I would like to think had Allen had the ball in his hands in over time the Bills would have one. I don't think that any fan should feel ashamed of this one and I personally feel nothing but pride for the way they played. It simply didn't go the Bills way this time and they will live to fight another day.  

The MCM was a comedy of errors that started when Rob Johnson was named the starter, sh!t the bed and still a # of coaching and play calling blunders.  Add to that it was a forward lateral (will forever be convinced) and let's face it was a Wildcard Playoff game.    

This was supposedly the SB matchup between the two best teams that was lost because of coaching blunders one after another in the final 13 seconds.  

Sorry this was worst way to lose.

BTW just listening to Bill Simmons and he called the Cincy Squib kick at the end of the half vs. KC as an FU to the Bills.....

Edited by Billsfan1972

every single thing that happened after the heroic TD w 13 on the clock was disgusting.

the kick was either a coaching brain fart, or the order just didn't get through to the kicker, hard to tell which is worse.

the d we lined up in was a joke, and we got slashed right away.  the fact that they called TO's, and showed that line up, and then lined up in it again shows our coaches (frazier, perhaps McD, can't be certain who made it happen) just suck bad when the chips are down.  

the coaching staff put the players in a position to fail and got what they asked for.  

while there is zero chance mcd gets the boot, and it seems like a declining chance we will be rid of frazier, if we don't get to the super bowl next year (barring allen injury or the like) i suspect mcd's seat gets very warm.

Fans are not overreacting to the loss.  The kickoff deep is defensible.  The miscommunication on the play is not.  Neither are the defensive play calls on the last two plays before the tying FG.  Inexcusable.  And that’s not even getting into the defense the entire game.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Fans are not overreacting to the loss.  The kickoff deep is defensible.  The miscommunication on the play is not.  Neither are the defensive play calls on the last two plays before the tying FG.  Inexcusable.  And that’s not even getting into the defense the entire game.

In terms of the overall defensive game plan, it seems rather rudimentary, so perhaps I am simply missing something, but why didn't we have a spy on Mahomes as it appears the Bengals did? Whenever we got pressure on Mahomes, which was fairly often, his running killed us. Now, his decision making appears to have been erratic after the debacle at the end of the half vs. Cincy, nonetheless, spinning around like a chicken was much more evident in the AFCCG and I suspect a dedicated spy that helped eliminate long runs was part of that.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/27/2022 at 4:56 AM, cv05 said:
  • Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds? 

Without the slightest bit of doubt. 

Recency bias

Fallacy of composition

Negativity bias

Loss aversion

All logical fallacies that tie into this overreaction.

Doesn't mean we should ignore it, of course. It was bad. But yeah, we're overreacting.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Our 13 seconds was an unmitigated disaster of coaching. Most other horrific Buffalo sports moments are based On a player not executing. This is all on coaching and is a stain that may not be gone until the fabric it’s on is cut out.

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Without the slightest bit of doubt. 

Recency bias

Fallacy of composition

Negativity bias

Loss aversion

All logical fallacies that tie into this overreaction.

Doesn't mean we should ignore it, of course. It was bad. But yeah, we're overreacting.

No, we’re not.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I already stated this. Why are you repeating what I wrote?

So you agree with me. Thanks.

A nuclear meltdown in the playoffs is 10,000x worse than 13 Seconds.

I quoted you because it’s the stance I’ve had as well and wanted to add more of my take on it as well. My bad if it’s just supposed to quote posts we disagree with. 

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I've said all week the game was lost on the kickoff. Either a pop (preferred) or squib would've done the job forcing a hail mary into fg range.  I love how McD, Farwell and Bass are all under the cone of silence. We're just going to have to navigate around a good HC who struggles with in game decisions. 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:11 AM, Coffeesforclosers said:

52-17 in SB 27 will always be the single most indefensible, mind numbing, ridiculous loss in Franchise history.

Nah, the Cowboys were just the better team.  We knew it going in.  They just ran up the score after the outcome was already certain.

The losses where you know the Biils should've won and you honestly believe the Bills were the better team are the ones that sting more.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I finally for the first time watched the 13 seconds in it's entirety.  Watching live I couldn't take the suspense and walked out of the room for the Kelsey play hoping to hear cheers rather than "f***!". My take is that McDermott was completely out coached. Same as everyone else has concluded. They were playing to not give up a 30+ yard completion while failing to realize how terrible the defensive alignment was from the snap. We literally conceded 20 yards on each play at the snap. There was nothing our players could have done post snap to prevent a 20 yard gain by either Kelsey or Hill.

As to the OP's question, this is a big deal because of the Bills incompetence here on back to back plays. The 5% chance of the Chiefs winning was supposed to come by penalty on a 35 yard pass play, a hail mary catch or Tyreek Hill just being Tyreek Hill and taking a 5 yard pass for a 70 yard TD. If either of those three scenarios happened it would still be as heart breaking but not as humiliating as the fact that the coaches put the players in a position to lose two straight plays. Somehow they didn't learn their lesson after the Hill play and gave a free 15 yards to Kelce on the next one before he even catches the ball.

The 2021 Bills defense feasted on below average QB's and below average offenses all year. They ate it them up so well they finished as both the #1 yardage and scoring defense. But that came back to bite them in the butt. No doubt the terrible defensive formations they were in during the 13 seconds likely would have prevented the Jets, Panthers or Texans from crossing midfield. But the Chiefs and Andy Ried? Come on.

• Agree 3

I just rewatched it and the defense underperformed the entire game.

We had no answer for Tyreek Hill and our defense was extremely predictable.

I know that we aren't a blitzing team, but they made no effort to disguise their front and I saw no D-line stunts or anything beyond a simple 4-man rush that over-pursued on the edge and had no inside counter.

Our defense needs fresh blood in the front-7 and the coaching staff.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.