Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I know I'm probably in the major minority here, and probably proof that meds work, but the game left me feeling upset but not like I have in the past. 

I was over it an hour later and went on with my life. 

And for anyone that wants to say "I'm not a real Bills Fan" so be it.   Much more difficult things in my life I have to deal with compared to a football game. 

Same here, brother. I am fine and looking forward to a bright future with this team. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I think everyone feels that way..the problem is that the Bills are what distracts us from those bigger issues and brings us all together for a common goal. The coaches tore that away from us in 13 seconds.

No, they did not.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, I think we covered that. As you said, we can agree to disagree. Cheers

You really don't see the difference between the Chiefs' players making spectacular plays despite NE covering them well and the Chiefs' players making routine catches because the Bills didn't cover them at all?

In the Pats game it took the Chiefs 16 seconds to run those two plays because the Patriots made it difficult for them. If we had done the same thing, they would have run out of time. Not to mention that the Bills' coaching staff should have been extra prepared for this moment specifically because the Chiefs had already done this against the Patriots.

I don't think so because the philosophy is surprising.  Kicking through the end zone and play 15 yards off the line.    The coaching staff has provided no reasonable explanation that most would be willing to accept if they explain why they did what they did.  They played the sidline and gave them the seam when they had timeouts.  It makes no sense.  They say execuction.....that could be players, could be more organizational (call to squib not getting to the kickoff team), we just dont know.  My read on it is they know they effed up from a playcalling stand point but dont want to throw anyone under the bus.

10 minutes ago, MPT said:

You really don't see the difference between the Chiefs' players making spectacular plays despite NE covering them well and the Chiefs' players making routine catches because the Bills didn't cover them at all?

In the Pats game it took the Chiefs 16 seconds to run those two plays because the Patriots made it difficult for them. If we had done the same thing, they would have run out of time. Not to mention that the Bills' coaching staff should have been extra prepared for this moment specifically because the Chiefs had already done this against the Patriots.

I think it's a bit far fetched to say that based on a 3 second differential, really splitting hairs at that point, different matchup, and even in that matchup, the Chiefs lost, so that example is bad because it came down to a flip of the coin that went NE's way. Were Chiefs fans saying that was the worst thing in their history? There were 59 other minutes in the game people are dismissing that could have affected and avoided the last 13 seconds. Truly. All of this focus on McD and the last 13 seconds is just to keep sports talk radio in the area alive. Truly. 

• Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, MPT said:

Hell, you don't have to go back to the Patriots game.  Chiefs did it to us in the FIRST HALF OF THIS GAME!  Got the ball with 37 seconds left in the first half and three timeouts and comfortably moved down the field until Mahones threw two incompletions and Butker doinked a 50 yard FG off the upright.  Maybe a squib or a pooch at the end of the first half was in order!

18 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Hell, you don't have to go back to the Patriots game.  Chiefs did it to us in the FIRST HALF OF THIS GAME!  Got the ball with 37 seconds left in the first half and three timeouts and comfortably moved down the field until Mahones threw two incompletions and Butker doinked a 50 yard FG off the upright.  Maybe a squib or a pooch at the end of the first half was in order!

13 seconds to tie the game and 37 seconds to end a half are night and day. 

I'll just say this... for the vast majority of BILLS fans to be convinced that we won the game when Allen hit Davis with 13 seconds left - despite being a fan base that has learned to EXPECT disappointment over the years - that in itself proves that it was a miracle by KC and should have never happened.

• Like (+1) 1

They would have been better off holding Hill and Kelce right from the snap. Sure its defensive holding and a 5 yard penalty. Chiefs have 1st down at the 30 but those precious seconds would tick off putting the Chiefs in desperation mode at that point.

This was the best game the Bills (or anyone) has ever played as far as I'm concerned. We had the perfect game the week before, but the pats no-showed, and we had the greatest comeback of all-time but the Oilers got complacent and it cost them.

The Chiefs fought us tooth and nail and had the game gone on an hour longer, i doubt it would have been more than a 1 score game.

I wanted them to win more than anything, but I haven't had that much fun watching football in over 15 years. I'd consider myself lucky if I got to see another game that good in my lifetime - even if it's another loss.

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They would have been better off holding Hill and Kelce right from the snap. Sure its defensive holding and a 5 yard penalty. Chiefs have 1st down at the 30 but those precious seconds would tick off putting the Chiefs in desperation mode at that point.

They were discussing this the other day on the radio.  Apparently there is a rule that you can do that ONCE, but if you do it a second time it's a 15 yarder and the clock is reset to adjust for lost time! 

Never heard of that.

We still could have done it once!  Combine that with not screwing up the kick and there's your ball game.

Game would have ended most likely on a failed Hail Mary pass.

Josh Allen played the two best games, back to back in his life...and he's home watching the playoffs.  13 seconds will live in infamy. 

Thanks coaches for not having any clue on how to get the clock to show 0:00.  For having no foresight on the proper kickoff and for scheming the defense as if they were protecting the end zone, not for a FG. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They were discussing this the other day on the radio.  Apparently there is a rule that you can do that ONCE, but if you do it a second time it's a 15 yarder and the clock is reset to adjust for lost time! 

Never heard of that.

We still could have done it once!  Combine that with not screwing up the kick and there's your ball game.

Game would have ended most likely on a failed Hail Mary pass.

Once was all we would have needed. It would have made their timeouts meaningless and it put them in a hail mary position from the 30. Cardinals game aside I doubt the Bills lose in that situation. Can Mahomes even reach the end zone from 70 yards out.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.  Massive over reaction.  Things like:

• Fire McD - So stupid its barely worth mentioning.
  • Fire Beane - Even dumber.
  • Fire Farwell - Also dumb, we had one of the best ST units in the NFL this year.
  • Do whatever it takes to get an elite DE - Our defensive pressure was not why we lost to KC, we got plenty of pressure on Mahomes but he was just on another level Sunday (like Allen) where it didn't matter, he was too elusive.  We had the same amount of Sacks as KC did, and yet they have three high end pass rushers on their team.  
    • And we were 5th in the NFL in defensive pressure and 10th in sacks.  So its foolish to now kill the cap and invest more draft assets again into the same position we just used 3 picks on in the first 2 rounds the last 2 years.  Let the young guys play and use those draft picks and whatever cap space we having on bolstering weaker areas like OL, CB Depth, and DT.  If our young guys are not getting the job done this year, then we know it may need to be addressed again the following offseason.
    • But you have to allow your guys time to develop, this instant gratification nonsense that fans have is ridiculous.  

The most ridiculous are the cries to fire McD, Beane, or Farwell.  As if making our team worse somehow makes us better just to satisfy some blood lust for someones head after the loss is ridiculous concept.   Hard to take anyone serious who feels like they are the weak link here.  Some fans just have this "I need blood" mentality when something doesn't go right, but all that does is LOWER our odds in 2022 to make another run because its VERY hard to find guys on the level of McD and Beane and much more likely to be not only a downgrade, but a significant one.  

Not to mention, we are already likely losing Daboll and Frazier, to have a full staff turnover right now would be beyond stupid.  

Yes, there seems there was a mistake made, not clear where, but a call for a squib quick was made and it didn't get to Bass.  But the players know Bass wasn't in the huddle and warming up, they should make sure he knows the call when he enters the game.  And I assure you that will be forever the case from here on out by both the coaches and teammates.  

But to blow up the staff that built us QUICKLY into a perennial SB contender over it is just absurd.  And to now over react

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.