Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They went 44.... Is the FG good from 57???? 

It could have been. Kickers today hit 50 plus regularly. Cincy kicker had two 50 plus in the divisional round. KC kick - 49 yards-had plenty of leg and height. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

I posted yesterday, but the mighty Belichick basically did the same in the 2018 AFCCG.  KC had more time - 38 seconds - but only 1 timeout, and they went from their own 31 to New England's 20 in 18 seconds.  2 passes, just like against us.

And BB didn't squib it, either.

13 seconds is like a minute+ for KC.  And it would have been for Allen if the situation was reversed.  It was terrible, but not that crazy.

29 minutes ago, cv05 said:

I guess the question is - how often do the Chiefs gain 40 yards in 2 plays? if you told me 1 in 10 I wouldn't disagree

26 minutes ago, ngbills said:

But would need to be adjusted for not caring at all about giving up 10 yards or having any pass rush or a running play. 

2018 AFCG, 48 yards in 2 plays (16 seconds) to tie the game and send it to overtime....

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think in the moment I just threw my hands up as if this stuff happens.  Shockingly calm.  Yesterday I was frustrated.  Today I am actually more pissed off.  That should of been Josh Allen's legendary cummupance moment.  The world should be talking about him outplaying Mahomes.  Quite frankly at that point he was leading in passing TD's and yardage.  When you score a go ahead TD with 13 seconds it should basically be an automatic that you just won the game for your team.  He got jobbed big time.  

As much as I try to convince myself we will be good for a long time and compete for a long time with Allen (which I fully believe), this year specifically the path to the Super Bowl as well as a Super Bowl victory is arguably the easiest remaining opponents in recent memory.  This really would have been our best shot that I can ever recall.  That I believe is why I am pissed.

Don't misinterpret my post as wanting to clean house and fire McDermott.  I don't want that.  I am just pissed and need time to digest.  I really want the continuity.  Keep the core players and staff.  Upgrade where it's been blatantly obvious to all (Defensive pass rush, CB, maybe LB).

I am not that hard on Edmunds as everyone else either.  I think he is doing what he is coached to do.  Yes I believe he is limited in his coverage recognition.  Hopefully that develops more.  I wouldn't get rid of him though. I think a game breaking DE changes the look for the entire defense.

Still disappointed.  I haven't been able to watch the game agin yet.

• Like (+1) 5

Not a chance, and quite frankly this is now the 2nd year in a row where the Bills have lost critical games in the final seconds due to an absurd lack of awareness when it comes to situation football.

Just not sure after the Hail Murray crap how this team could find an even worse way to lose a game in the final seconds considering what was on the line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cv05 said:

I had never been a huge fan (attributed team success to Allen, and McDermott more just getting in the way).

This seems to be a particularly popular opinion these days.  Josh does everything and coach McDermott just gets in the way.

I have a question about this.  Was the same true of Coach McDermott's role in 2017 when Tyrod Taylor took us to the playoffs?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I have been using this as a coping mechanism. In the modern NFL 30 second, 25 second, 21 second FG drives with timeouts in pocket have become routine.  So…maybe 13 is not so bad after all. Then I think through it some more and become even more disgusted at what happened and I want heads to roll within the organization. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

I posted yesterday, but the mighty Belichick basically did the same in the 2018 AFCCG.  KC had more time - 38 seconds - but only 1 timeout, and they went from their own 31 to New England's 20 in 18 seconds.  2 passes, just like against us.

And BB didn't squib it, either.

13 seconds is like a minute+ for KC.  And it would have been for Allen if the situation was reversed.  It was terrible, but not that crazy.

They kicked it to the five and the return took 7 seconds. the next play, a pass to the rb because they actually covered people went for 21 yards and took 9 seconds and kc used their timeout. 

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This seems to be a particularly popular opinion these days.  Josh does everything and coach McDermott just gets in the way.

I have a question about this.  Was the same true of Coach McDermott's role in 2017 when Tyrod Taylor took us to the playoffs?

McD has brought a great system , "process" to this team and even in the Tyrod era set us up to at least fight for a playoff spot. By the same token he also had some strange idea that Nathan Peterman was a viable QB and started him vs San Diego for 5 Ints which almost killed our hopes that year. Fast forward to 2021 and yes Allen is the star of the team and McDs role has been reduced to more of a manager. That being said he caused us to lose on Sunday and ruined one the greatest performances by QB ever in the playoffs by not doing his job in the last 13 secs. McD needs to evolve a bit more and learn from this incredibly awful teachable moment and finish the job next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

2018 AFCG, 48 yards in 2 plays (16 seconds) to tie the game and send it to overtime....

Completely different. Starting from the fact it took 16 seconds. First play took 9 so I doubt KC is thinking field goal with only 4 seconds left. 

The plays were completely different. Not here throw and run really quick with no one around you. Here do the same thing again. Once incompletion and its basically game no FG territory but Bills didnt even get close to the KC players. It is completely and utterly inexcusable, insane, atrocious and any other word to say how terrible a decision it was. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, cv05 said:

That specific kick probably was unfortunately. They have an awesome kicker...

Yes, yes, yes!  Butker was going to attempt a FG if they got within 60 yards, maybe a yard or two beyond that.  That was why I was anything but comfortable after the last Davis TD.  I went back to the play-by-play and forget that the Chiefs got the ball with 37 seconds left in the first half with three time outs and Butker doinked a 50 yarder off the upright.  That was after two Mahones incompletions.  To think that the Chiefs couldn't pick up 30ish yards from the 25 in two plays was fanciful, especially playing a defense to prevent a Hail Mary.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ngbills said:

Completely different. Starting from the fact it took 16 seconds. First play took 9 so I doubt KC is thinking field goal with only 4 seconds left. 

The plays were completely different. Not here throw and run really quick with no one around you. Here do the same thing again. Once incompletion and its basically game no FG territory but Bills didnt even get close to the KC players. It is completely and utterly inexcusable, insane, atrocious and any other word to say how terrible a decision it was. 

You can name all the differences you want. Here is the only thing that matters: NE gave up almost 50 yards in 2 plays at the end of the AFCCG they were leading by a field goal.

And the truth is the end of the game Sunday could have transpired exactly the same was as it did in the NE/KC game and you would be on here today whining and demanding...

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Under reacting if anything

It's not so much just the kick, but the defense that was played after.

I don't think fans realize how epically bad that stuff was.  Like firing bad IMO.

The kick is part of it.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Looking forward to all of the: "tHaT's DiFfErEnT! 🤪  " replies to this 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.