Beane anticipates Cole Beasley being back next season

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

8.5ypc is very terrible. He pretty much catches the ball and then gets dropped like a sack of potatoes. Wouldn’t you rather we have a home run threat in the slot? Someone that can take it to the house every time?

Go ahead tell us whom 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, bouds said:

Famous last words, he said the same about FredX.

Fred Jackson? He was gone 3 years before Beane got here. 

they aren’t his “last words” - it’s what he anticipates. No one said he declared anything based on what he knows today. It’s too early to do that about a lot of things. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He talked about his production still being on par with previous seasons even though there were a lot of mouths to feed so to speak. Doesn’t mean anything definitive obviously but interesting nonetheless 

I thought that whole section of the press conference about Beasley was kind of weird, to be honest.

He said he hadn't spoken to Beasley himself to know what was on his mind, like he was bracing to be hit with some information Beasley put out there on social media. 

He started off with "he can still play, he'll continue to play in this league" and then later said "he's still under contract as far as I know, we expect him back next season"

He sounded like he was making excuses, either for Beasley, or from the Bills *to* Beasley, or both - "we had more WR" "we ran more of these plays that use McKenzie" "Isaiah really helped us in the running game" 

The bottom line is that he said he expects Beasley back and he defended Beasley's production, but he didn't sound enthused.

Edit: and when else has Beane said something like "I would expect to see him back, he's under contract"?    Now I'm reading the tea leaves here, but I'm kind of thinking Beasley has had several gripe sessions with Beane during the season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Christian Kirk, perhaps? A receiver in the draft? I’m not against keeping Cole at a cut price, but it’s fairly obvious to me at this point that his career is winding down. Dude almost dropped 4ypc off of his average.

Russell Gage.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I can't see him being back under the current contract...he saves $6 million on the cap if cut and I would much rather see MacKenzie be signed for $3-4 million and have an extra $2-3 million for something else.

Bills have zero players at 2-3 million a year who aren't on rookie contracts.

Who is going to contribute as FA at 2-3 million?

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

8.5ypc is very terrible. He pretty much catches the ball and then gets dropped like a sack of potatoes. Wouldn’t you rather we have a home run threat in the slot? Someone that can take it to the house every time?

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Christian Kirk, perhaps? A receiver in the draft? I’m not against keeping Cole at a cut price, but it’s fairly obvious to me at this point that his career is winding down. Dude almost dropped 4ypc off of his average.

No slot receiver can take it to the house every time.

Beasley YAC:  3.7, Kirk YAC: 3.0

82 catches for nearly 700 yards and catching 73% of his targets is not "very terrible", but that hot take is...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He needs to be replaced before you let him go...I assume for no bigger spend ...

That’ll be tough.  He’s due a $500k roster bonus on 3/20 and I don’t expect the Bills to be going crazy in the first wave of free agency.

The new money due to him in 2022 is $6.07M.  That’s certainly not egregious for a starting slot WR.  But I wonder why he wasn’t on the field more in the KC game.  He only played 30 of 64 offensive snaps.  Diggs played 54, Davis 53, McKenzie 17, Sanders 16 and Kumerow 3.  Knox played 63!  I know Beasley still ranks 3rd among WRs - and 4th among receiving targets - in snap count, but it seems like he should have had more usage in such an important game.  It makes me think that the team sees him in decline and that they were limiting his snaps.  That makes it more likely that they’ll move on from him this off-season. 

This is a big nothing burger. What else is Beane going to say?

I think it is 50/50 Cole comes back. Might really depend on if they are able to retain McKenzie. And that depends on if they will pay McKenzie's market value and if they will plan to commit to a offensive gamelan that will utilize him more than just a 4th string gadget receiver.

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’ll be tough.  He’s due a $500k roster bonus on 3/20 and I don’t expect the Bills to be going crazy in the first wave of free agency.

The new money due to him in 2022 is $6.07M.  That’s certainly not egregious for a starting slot WR.  But I wonder why he wasn’t on the field more in the KC game.  He only played 30 of 64 offensive snaps.  Diggs played 54, Davis 53, McKenzie 17, Sanders 16 and Kumerow 3.  Knox played 63!  I know Beasley still ranks 3rd among WRs - and 4th among receiving targets - in snap count, but it seems like he should have had more usage in such an important game.  It makes me think that the team sees him in decline and that they were limiting his snaps.  That makes it more likely that they’ll move on from him this off-season. 

I think that might be reading into the tea leaves a bit much.  Beasley has had an average of 61% of the snaps, but excluding the two outliers (eg 1st game when we played a ton of 4 and 5 wr sets, and when he got hurt), he plays between 30% and 87% of the snaps.  The 47% of the snaps he played were on the low end, but I think his usage has varied on an opponent-specific basis, and it's more than the 39% of the snaps he played against KC Week 5.

If KC's DBs are allowed to be "sticky" in their press man coverage, I think Beasley has a tougher time separating from them, than the bigger, stronger guys.  He also is not an effective blocker, unlike the similar-size McKenzie who has shown he can level a guy.

But it's the type of coverage and the need for blocking that drove usage, hence Knox and the best-blocking WR (Davis) saw the most snaps along with Diggs, and the rest of the guys rotated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills have zero players at 2-3 million a year who aren't on rookie contracts.

Who is going to contribute as FA at 2-3 million?

I could be wrong, but I think the guy you're talking to meant "put the 2-3M above what you need to re-up McKenzie, towards signing someone else, not that we'd sign someone else as a FA for $2-3M.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.