Beane anticipates Cole Beasley being back next season

YoloinOhio

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He talked about his production still being on par with previous seasons even though there were a lot of mouths to feed so to speak. Doesn’t mean anything definitive obviously but interesting nonetheless 

One key thing he said that isn't part of those quotes...

Mentioned he hasn't sat down and discussed where Cole is at yet. I believe they anticipate that talk to go well, however one of any number of topics they discuss could make that change in a hurry. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

This is true but consider this... he repeated the same 82 catches as last year but instead had 693 years compared to 967 the year prior, he was down to 8.5 YPC the lowest of his career. He is still sure handed with a 73% catch rate, but he had 0 broken tackles this year. 

Like I said, I love the guy, but at 32 years old this year and going to be 33 next year, I don't see him getting any more spry unless he was playing injured which is a possibility.  I actually think Diggs was playing hurt this year but that's a different topic. 

I like him, but his age and athletic slide is real. His contract isn't bad but I think if he's back it is on a restructure because we can save a lot of money moving on and we have no cap space. 

Release him and watch Belichick snap him up for noodle arm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Better be a restructure then.  I love Beasley but unless he was playing injured he's lost too much athleticism. Yards after catch really really lacked.

Actually, it was his Yards Before Catch that were way down in 2021 compared to 2019 & 2020.

Yards Before Catch Per Reception

2019 6.7

2020 7.5

2021 4.7

Yards After Catch Per Reception

2019 4.9

2020 4.3

2021 3.7

Uh oh, he used the "he's still under contract" reference. That guarantees he's gone. I like Cole and will always appreciate his clutch 1st down catches but age is slowing him down. Not to mention all the vax distractions. I think McK takes his slot spot. And both Sanders & Cole will be gone. We'll likely draft another wr.

11 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

Actually, it was his Yards Before Catch that were way down in 2021 compared to 2019 & 2020.

Yards Before Catch Per Reception

2019 6.7

2020 7.5

2021 4.7

Yards After Catch Per Reception

2019 4.9

2020 4.3

2021 3.7

This is not surprising. I recall several downfield throws to Beasley last season but hardly any from this year.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Better be a restructure then.  I love Beasley but unless he was playing injured he's lost too much athleticism. Yards after catch really really lacked.

Still, his vertical jump is miles ahead of yours...🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

24 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cole did have 82 catches and clearly Josh has a comfortability with him in key spots…I’d expect him to be asked to restructure rather then just be released as it isn’t easy to replace that kind of production but I highly suspect the Bills will add a speed receiver through

free agency or the draft 

With Sanders and McKenzie hitting FA and the questions around Beasley and his contract, it will be interesting to see how Beane deals with the WR depth this off season.

Here are the WR targets this season:

Diggs 164

Beasley 112

Sanders 72

Davis 63

McKenzie 26

Kumerow 6

I won't be surprised if they let Sanders and McKenzie walk, restructure both Diggs and Beasley to create cap space, and then they add one WR in the draft and a FA WR on a one year 'Prove It' deal.

I will be mildly surprised if Beasley is cut unless he chooses to not re-do his deal to help with the cap.

• Like (+1) 2

There were really only two receivers who helped make a difference stat wise against the Chiefs, Gabe Davis and Beasley.  

People just say "Just replace Beasley with McKenzie",  it's a different skill set, they both play the game differently, what McKenzie can do well, Beasley can't, what Beasley can do well, McKenzie can't.   They both have their value, but I'd be willing to bet you that the league still values Beasley more so than McKenzie.  I would love to keep both if they could both be had for $3-4 Million a piece, not sure if we can swing that but if we were to have one, it would be a tough choice.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

A lot depends on what McKenzie does.  If Daboll leaves and brings McKenzie with him, keeping Beasley becomes more important.

Why would McKenzie leave?  He loves Daboll and he'll always be pissed about being benched for a tiny thing like fumbling a kickoff without being touched.  

29 minutes ago, Magox said:

There were really only two receivers who helped make a difference stat wise against the Chiefs, Gabe Davis and Beasley.  

People just say "Just replace Beasley with McKenzie",  it's a different skill set, they both play the game differently, what McKenzie can do well, Beasley can't, what Beasley can do well, McKenzie can't.   They both have their value, but I'd be willing to bet you that the league still values Beasley more so than McKenzie.  I would love to keep both if they could both be had for $3-4 Million a piece, not sure if we can swing that but if we were to have one, it would be a tough choice.

Beasley has been our Kelce, the guy the QB goes to to move the chains. He's been very valuable for that and did his job very well.  But it could be the Bills are thinking that our Kelce should be a tight end, not a slot receiver.  It could be they look at Knox and think he's ready for that role.  Of course Knox did drop a short pass early in the Chiefs game...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Back in 2019, I was a big fan of Cole Beasley when he signed here. We got two great years out of him and I deeply respected him for his decision to not get vaccinated, but he was terrible this year, flat out. We need a huge upgrade in the slot. Dump Cole, bring in Christian Kirk and draft a talented player in the draft on top of that..

Josh needs better weapons than this. I tip my hat to Beane for signing him in the first place, but the only way Cole should be in a Bills uniform next year is if he takes a 50% pay cut and we keep him on as our 4th WR.

If he's back next year it's obviously not going to be under his current contract/cap hit.

And I'm still not sold on the idea that McKenzie is some sort of cheaper, drop in replacement because of one great game in 3+ years in Buffalo. Still think he will follow Daboll wherever he goes anyway.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Back in 2019, I was a big fan of Cole Beasley when he signed here. We got two great years out of him and I deeply respected him for his decision to not get vaccinated, but he was terrible this year, flat out. We need a huge upgrade in the slot. Dump Cole, bring in Christian Kirk and draft a talented player in the draft on top of that..

Josh needs better weapons than this. I tip my hat to Beane for signing him in the first place, but the only way Cole should be in a Bills uniform next year is if he takes a 50% pay cut and we keep him on as our 4th WR.

82 catches us terrible, lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.