Chiefs have a TON of UFA's heading into next year and only 21m in cap space...they could have some issues

Big Turk

Just now, Billl said:

Who do you think lined up across from Diggs yesterday and erased him?  It was the same guy who lined up against him in the AFCCG last year and shut him out.  Sneed held Diggs without a catch until his concussion.  Fenton came in and Diggs caught passes on the first 2 plays.

Sneed is absolutely our #1.  Spagnuolo would absolutely say as much.  The fact that Spags moves him all over is a testament to his skill set.  Mathieu’s role is critical in this defense, and I think Spags is preparing to put Sneed in that spot next year and let Mathieu walk.  He’s the best CB we’ve had in Kansas City since Dale Carter.

They erased Diggs by doubling him every single 3rd down. Again that isn't an opinion. That is a fact. They doubled Diggs on every third down. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sunday. 

I just said that Sneed moved to the slot when Mathieu was injured.  That happened in the first series.  He covered Diggs for 7-8 plays.  They had to change the game plan after that.  It wasn’t Sneed getting Safety help on Diggs.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

I just said that Sneed moved to the slot when Mathieu was injured.  That happened in the first series.  He covered Diggs for 7-8 plays.  They had to change the game plan after that.  It wasn’t Sneed getting Safety help on Diggs.

So your contention is that he'd have stayed on the boundary the whole game otherwise? Despite the fact that is diametrically opposite to what they did most of the season? 

I mean fine if that is your argument. I think it is a weird hill to die on. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

So your contention is that he'd have stayed on the boundary the whole game otherwise? Despite the fact that is diametrically opposite to what they did most of the season? 

I mean fine if that is your argument. I think it is a weird hill to die on. 

I don’t know.  He does a little bit of everything, and that’s what Spags likes in a DB.  I do know that he lined up opposite Diggs on the boundary every play before Mathieu’s injury, and he mostly followed Diggs around the field in the AFCCG last year.  

I guess I don’t understand the rationale behind saying a guy can’t be your #1 CB unless he plays at the boundary a certain percentage of the time.  It’s like saying Kupp isn’t a #1 WR because he lines up in the slot.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t know.  He does a little bit of everything, and that’s what Spags likes in a DB.  I do know that he lined up opposite Diggs on the boundary every play before Mathieu’s injury, and he mostly followed Diggs around the field in the AFCCG last year.  

I guess I don’t understand the rationale behind saying a guy can’t be your #1 CB unless he plays at the boundary a certain percentage of the time.  It’s like saying Kupp isn’t a #1 WR because he lines up in the slot.

As I explained I think offense is different because they dictate where the ball is going. So they can move their guys around. If Kansas City played LAR and Sneed followed Kupp and went wide when he did then played nickel when Kupp went in the slot I wouldn't have any issue with that. But the overwhelming majority of #1 receivers line up wide. To be a true #1 corner you have to show me you can play outside on the boundary at times on an island and hold up. 

I like Sneed. Think he is a very good player and was an excellent draft pick. I don't think he is a #1 corner cos I think he is okay on the boundary but really where he excels is in the nickel.

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As I explained I think offense is different because they dictate where the ball is going. So they can move their guys around. If Kansas City played LAR and Sneed followed Kupp and went wide when he did then played nickel when Kupp went in the slot I wouldn't have any issue with that. But the overwhelming majority of #1 receivers line up wide. To be a true #1 corner you have to show me you can play outside on the boundary at times on an island and hold up. 

I like Sneed. Think he is a very good player and was an excellent draft pick. I don't think he is a #1 corner cos I think he is okay on the boundary but really where he excels is in the nickel.

So then is Tre your #1?  He’s primarily a zone CB, so anything that’s true about Sneed not dictating who he covers would apply moreso to White, right?

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

So then is Tre your #1?  He’s primarily a zone CB, so anything that’s true about Sneed not dictating who he covers would apply moreso to White, right?

Tre is a #1 corner. He plays outside and against teams with particularly dominant #1s he travels. You don't have to play man  to be a #1. You do have to play on the boundary in space. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tre is a #1 corner. He plays outside and against teams with particularly dominant #1s he travels. You don't have to play man  to be a #1. You do have to play on the boundary in space. 

I really hope to see them get another CB opposite of Tre. One of the better ones if available somehow, or an up and coming one. Drafting one is fine, but I'd prefer one via trade or F/A if at all possible. Wallace is decent, but we need better. 

I haven't looked at any F/A CB list or possible trade targets or anything yet, so just spit balling here

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So that whole part about the offense dictating where the ball goes applies to Sneed when he doesn’t shadow a specific WR but it doesn’t apply to White even though he plays primarily zone and I certainly didn’t see him travel with Hill last year.  I think I see how this works.  I’ll just agree to disagree.

Edited by Billl

24 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I really hope to see them get another CB opposite of Tre. One of the better ones if available somehow, or an up and coming one. Drafting one is fine, but I'd prefer one via trade or F/A if at all possible. Wallace is decent, but we need better. 

I haven't looked at any F/A CB list or possible trade targets or anything yet, so just spit balling here

The guys at cover 1 were blowing up my Twitter feed this am with Donte Jackson from Carolina who played with Tre at LSU, would be an ideal fit

So I just watched each KC snap from the first half of last year’s game just to make sure I had my facts straight.  White played man on Hill exactly one play.  It was the third play of the game, third down.  Hill smoked him on a deep post.  Mahomes threw a strike, and Hill dropped it.  I don’t think they went back to that matchup even once I the second half, but if they did it wasn’t very often.

38 minutes ago, Billl said:

So that whole part about the offense dictating where the ball goes applies to Sneed when he doesn’t shadow a specific WR but it doesn’t apply to White even though he plays primarily zone and I certainly didn’t see him travel with Hill last year.  I think I see how this works.  I’ll just agree to disagree.

No. It applies to people who play primarily in the slot. This isn't an anti Kansas City position. I have said exactly the same about slot players from other teams for years. 

#1 corners do not play 3/4s of their snaps  in the slot and it is as simple and as straightforward as that. 

Tre plays outside. He plays in space against teams #1. And watch the week 5 game. He travelled with Hill except when Hill went into the slot.

Edited by GunnerBill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.