Chiefs have a TON of UFA's heading into next year and only 21m in cap space...they could have some issues

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

How are your Pats looking?

Eh, Hill was already getting banged up this year at times. To think he will be at this elite speed into his mid 30’s is to think like a blind loyalist to your team. I have never seen one offensive player in the NFL keep his speed at that age. Hill will have a sharp decline. 

On 1/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Says the Pats fan. 
You should also include cheating when mentioning Brady’s time in NE. 

I trust Beane to build a team. 
I wouldn’t put Lamar on that list. 
KC is going to need to figure out Kelce, he will be 33. 

It won’t be easy, but at least the division should be. 
Pats blew their wad this year. I think we see a shutdown of Corky Jones starting next year. Look for Belichick to retire in 2-3 years.
Phins and Jets have so many questions I don’t see them as a threat for at least two years. 

Pat’s looking pretty good.  He’s about to play at home in the AFC Championship game like he’s done every year he’s been a starter.

If you mean the Patriots, they’re probably making plans to watch the Super Bowl somewhere warm just like 27 other teams are.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Lots of starters on their roster are UFA's, especially on D. That extra 3rd round pick could come in handy for them.

image.thumb.png.e1c223f1e6f25f71a569f7107ead7d05.png

Funny….I was talking to a Chiefs fan after the game who said he thinks 2022 is the Bills year because of all the FA’s and Mahomes new deal kicking in, KC will probably take a step back.  

25 minutes ago, Billl said:

Kelce is the only offensive starter over 27.  Kansas City just drafted 3 players that made the all rookie team, and their first pick was 58th.  Davis’s incredible performance notwithstanding, I don’t know that Beane has ever drafted a single impact player who wasn’t a top 10 pick.

He’s brought in some good talent in trading a haul for Diggs (age 29), signing Beasley (age 33), Sanders (age 35), and Star (age 32), but they aren’t exactly youngsters.  If you’re going to steal the show, you’re going to have to hope guys like Epenesa, Singletary, Moss, Edmunds, and Rousseau step it up.  It gets tougher to find talented players when you aren’t flush with draft picks you acquired from passing on Mahomes.

Without Kelce, your offense changes significantly.  I wouldn't say that about any of the skill positions on the Bills.

I guess we'll see how it goes.  The Bills blew it by not getting homefield this year. Even without it, and playing in a place as tough as KC, they had to collapse with 13 seconds left for KC to have a chance.  The Bills blew them out in the regular season - again, at KC.

I'd rather you guys think it's going to be AFCCG's and SB's as far as the eye can see for the Chiefs. It will make it more fun.

57 minutes ago, Success said:

Without Kelce, your offense changes significantly.  I wouldn't say that about any of the skill positions on the Bills.

I guess we'll see how it goes.  The Bills blew it by not getting homefield this year. Even without it, and playing in a place as tough as KC, they had to collapse with 13 seconds left for KC to have a chance.  The Bills blew them out in the regular season - again, at KC.

I'd rather you guys think it's going to be AFCCG's and SB's as far as the eye can see for the Chiefs. It will make it more fun.

You think your offense isn’t significantly different without Diggs?  Here’s an example of a game without Kelce.  He had COVID just a few weeks ago.  https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326565

1 minute ago, Success said:

What are you trying to convince me of?

I’m just curious about why you think Kelce is more important to the Chiefs offense than Diggs is to the Bills.  Do you think he’s more important than Hill?  Honest question.  I honestly have no idea who I would pick if I could only take one, but I’m 100% certain I’d take Diggs over any other skill position player on the Bills.

As to why I’m curious, I work from home, it’s freezing out, and this is my slow season so I’m bored out of my mind.

2 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Both starting tackles the way I read that.  That's pretty fing big and I like our chances with AJ in year 3 and Boogie and Groot in year 2.  

The LT is a free agent and will likely be tagged.  The RT is a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

The guy filling in for Mathieu literally tripped and fell down while standing still on 4th and 13 leaving Davis all alone in the end zone.  Davis had 4 TDs and over 200 yards receiving.  I don’t know how much more a team could possibly be impacted by the loss of a DB.

You do realize that on the TD is was their CB Hughes that he beat .. right? On the final TD he beat Snead another CB. Also .. just wondering if you think Hill goes off for 150 if Tre was there. Nobody in KC even would say at this point in his career Honey Badger is anywhere near as good as Tre White.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

I’m just curious about why you think Kelce is more important to the Chiefs offense than Diggs is to the Bills.  Do you think he’s more important than Hill?  Honest question.  I honestly have no idea who I would pick if I could only take one, but I’m 100% certain I’d take Diggs over any other skill position player on the Bills.

As to why I’m curious, I work from home, it’s freezing out, and this is my slow season so I’m bored out of my mind.

KC's offense is loaded.  But Hill & Kelce are the 2 guys that present a major challenge to cover.

I don't think the Bills offense is like that. Diggs is a star, but I think he only had one catch on Sunday.  All season, we've seen a rotating cast:  McKenzie starred one game, Davis has a few, Knox a few more, even Sanders.  Not that those guys are uncoverable, but I think it's more interchangeable on the Bills O.

I actually hope that they veer away from investing in skill positions too much, like the Pats did w/ Brady (even though that ended up driving Brady away).

Honestly, I think the Bills are a better team, which I'm sure you'd disagree with.  I think if they play that game 10x, the Bills win 7.  The regular season game showed the gap more than Sunday, for sure.  But we only play you guys at KC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billl said:

I could point to Buffalo and ask what you’re going to do about your Safeties who are the strength of your defense but are both on the wrong side of 30.  How are you going to get cheaper when picks like Epenesa, Basham, and Moss barely see the field?

Maintaining success in the NFL isn’t about how much money and draft capital you spend.  It’s about how much bang you get for your buck.

One of Johnson or Hamlin (the Bills #3 and 4 safeties on the depth chart) will be a PLAYER in this league. My money is on Hamlin. They're learning from the best players and coaches (w/r/t secondary play), and one thing the Bills do at an elite level is identify potential in DB prospects. All the ingredients. 

The Bills need to worry more about LB and DL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

KC's offense is loaded.  But Hill & Kelce are the 2 guys that present a major challenge to cover.

I don't think the Bills offense is like that. Diggs is a star, but I think he only had one catch on Sunday.  All season, we've seen a rotating cast:  McKenzie starred one game, Davis has a few, Knox a few more, even Sanders.  Not that those guys are uncoverable, but I think it's more interchangeable on the Bills O.

I actually hope that they veer away from investing in skill positions too much, like the Pats did w/ Brady (even though that ended up driving Brady away).

Honestly, I think the Bills are a better team, which I'm sure you'd disagree with.  I think if they play that game 10x, the Bills win 7.  The regular season game showed the gap more than Sunday, for sure.  But we only play you guys at KC.

Yeah, I definitely disagree, but it’s close.  I think the ending clouded a lot of people’s minds regarding how lopsided the game actually was.  Kansas City moved the ball at will.  They ran 73 plays, and 41 of them were on first down.  The Bills struggled for everything, but Josh was so brilliant that he made every do or die play.  Kansas City outgained Buffalo 552-422, but they hit the upright twice to give away 4 points and Buffalo went 4/4 on 4th downs.

You’ve got great fans and a great board as well.  I used to say the same about us, but the board took a pretty disgusting turn about 7 years ago.  It’s still got the best football discussion I’ve ever found if you’re willing to sift through all the racism and political extremism, and I’m just not.  So, you’re stuck with me for now.

Buffalo never had the ball with the lead at any point in the game, but every time it looked like Kansas City was about to put it away, Josh made a play.  It was the best game I’d ever seen when Davis caught the final TD, and I said as much at the time right here.  Even with all that, it didn’t matter.  Mahomes finished going 9/9 for 137 yards and 2 TDs and honestly made it look easy.

I’ve got a ton of respect for the Bills.  IMO, they’re the second best team in the NFL, and there’s a bigger gap between them and third best than there is between them and first.  We’re going to have this discussion basically every year the heat death of the universe, so we’ll see what happens.  So far, it’s 1-1 in the regular season and 2-0 Chiefs in the postseason between Josh and Pat.  I’m assuming we’ll play twice again next year and I hope we do.  The Bills have become my second team.  I tell everyone else how good you are and then tell y’all how much better we are.  I started posting here after I put a couple of substantial bets on Buffalo and the over for the season win total and to win the division Josh’s second year.  Made a lot of money on the first and damned near made a huge amount on the second (which is to say I lost).

Edited by Billl
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Billl said:

It’s all about drafting well.  The Chiefs drafted 4 starters in 2020 (RB, LB, RT, and #1 CB) and 3 so far from 2021 (LB, C, G) without a first round pick.  They’ve got a lot of expensive players, but they’re offset by young players on rookie contracts.

Rosters get expensive when high draft picks don’t get a lot of snaps.  Veach/Reid have done a good on getting day 1 starters despite not having a top 30 pick since Mahomes.

I have been pounding this drum for a bit. Some players have gotten better than I thought like Philips. Although he still won’t be expensive. 

But investing so heavily in the DE without a very good pass rush, plus Singletary then Moss. Now the fan base is split on Edmunds after next season. It’s too many misses with top 100 picks. It has to get better if this run from the Bills is to be sustainable. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

One of Johnson or Hamlin (the Bills #3 and 4 safeties on the depth chart) will be a PLAYER in this league. My money is on Hamlin. They're learning from the best players and coaches (w/r/t secondary play), and one thing the Bills do at an elite level is identify potential in DB prospects. All the ingredients. 

The Bills need to worry more about LB and DL.

Your LB situation is interesting to me.  Edmunds and Milano are going to make $23,000,000 next year, and I’m not sure how good either of them are.  You can make a case that both are really good or below average.  I think they’re probably both better than they get credit for because McDermott’s scheme makes them look bad.  It seems to cheat a little bit to help the DBs at the expense of the LBs.  

It’s a good system, and I think he’s comfortable giving Edmunds more than anyone can really handle because it means giving up first downs at the second level rather than TDs at the third level.  That’s why Edmunds is such a polarizing player.  Some see him as a guy who gets beat a lot, and those people are right.  Others see him as a guy who makes chicken salad out of chicken ish, and those people are probably right as well.

I think he’s a guy currently playing 2 positions.  He’s a Mike and a Will, and McDermott calls a defense as if it has 12 players on the field.  If he isn’t extended, there might be a line of GMs waiting to take him off your hands.  Then again, he might just suck, cuz WTF do I know?

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Success said:

Even with Tom Brady, the Patriots made a lot of Super Bowls, but they didn't make all of them. There are going to be down years for the Chiefs even with Mahomes and their offense, just like there will be for the Bills.

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Your LB situation is interesting to me.  Edmunds and Milano are going to make $23,000,000 next year, and I’m not sure how good either of them are.  You can make a case that both are really good or below average.  I think they’re probably both better than they get credit for because McDermott’s scheme makes them look bad.  It seems to cheat a little bit to help the DBs at the expense of the LBs.  

It’s a good system, and I think he’s comfortable giving Edmunds more than anyone can really handle because it means giving up first downs at the second level rather than TDs at the third level.  That’s why Edmunds is such a polarizing player.  Some see him as a guy who gets beat a lot, and those people are right.  Others see him as a guy who makes chicken salad out of chicken ish, and those people are probably right as well.

I think he’s a guy currently playing 2 positions.  He’s a Mike and a Will, and McDermott calls a defense as if it has 12 players on the field.  If he isn’t extended, there might be a line of GMs waiting to take him off your hands.  Then again, he might just suck.  WTF do I know?

The problem with McDermott's scheme is that it can be broken by teams with multiple high level skill players.  It works fantastic against teams that are limited offensively or only have one real weapon  due to their ability to mix coverages, play as a single unit and execute at a high level. But against teams with multiple great players, they often times have matchup issues.  I guess that most teams probably do, but it seems the Bills seem to have the largest gap between their normal defensive performance and the one that happens against really high level skill opponents.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Even with Tom Brady, the Patriots made a lot of Super Bowls, but they didn't make all of them. There are going to be down years for the Chiefs even with Mahomes and their offense, just like there will be for the Bills.

“Down years” will be 10-7 for both teams.  I can’t see either team going under .500 in the next decade barring a QB injury.

Edited by Billl
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

“Down years” will be 10-7 for both teams.  I can’t see either team going under .500 in the next decade barring a QB injury.

More than likely...mainly what I mean is down years where they don't make it to the AFCCG

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Most are cheap role players.  They can replace them.  I prefer to concentrate on the Bills on their UFA.  I can see half of them gone. 

There are 5 defensive starters on that list and at least 2 on offense. Those aren't "easy" to replace no matter how you want to sugarcoat it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.