Are we overplaying this team's chances had we won?

Success

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

It might seem insane to say in January 2022, but it may have been a long-term blessing in disguise. If we would have won the SB this year, we may have rested on our laurels.

NOW? Allen's about to go crazy in the off-season again. Coming off a legendary performance. He could make another step as QB, perhaps a higher level than what anyone has seen before. And Beane and McDermott are about to take serious looks in the mirror and realize they also need to level up. 

This loss may have meant the difference between one and done SB, and future dynasty.

Yes after an amazing year, no doubt it wil be easy to make multiple SuperBowls in the future.   Dan Marino

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Rams would have been tough but the Bills have more weapons on offense. All Daboll would need to do is keep Singletary or Moss in to help block Donald.  Dawkins can handle Miller most of the time 1:1.  Dawkins was playing an an all-time level down the stretch. Best he has looked in three years after coming back from COVID.  Rams are not nearly as dynamic as KC.  Bills pass rush probably gets Stafford on the ground unlike letting Mahommes get free. 

wonder if  the rams would keep flipping Miller to different sides and or put donald out on the edge too 

I think the Bills...and probably the Chiefs this week would have an emotional letdown against Cincinnati.  Not saying they'd lose, but it wouldn't surprise me if Cinci jumps out to a quick 7-0 or 10-0 lead this week.  KC is so dangerous when they ramp up the urgency, I think they ultimately win..

The recipe almost every single year is peaking at the right time, having some things break your way(rodgers and brady going down while bengals beat titans for a home title game), and riding out a QB on a absolute heater to the Lombardi. That was literally all in motion for this squad. No we ARE NOT overplaying or chances of winning the whole dang thing if we take care of those 13 seconds.

"breezed" to it is a bit strong. But we would have been the clear cut favorite coming out of Arrowhead.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

52 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the Chiefs go on to win a championship then it's easy to assume the Bills would have done the same.

This is why in some ways I'm hoping the Chiefs season ends Sunday against the Bengals or in the SB because if anything it will lesson the blow of one of the worst choke jobs in all pro sports.

And as crazy as it sounds, this very well may have been the Chiefs SB against the Bills. Bengals are certainly capable of beating them and already have in the regular season just like the Bills.

Another way to look at it is this - if the Chiefs win it all, the Bills will see that team that they a) beat at KC earlier this year; and b) went toe-to-toe with last week at KC and should have beaten but for horrendus special teams and defensive schemes in the last 13 seconds - in other words a team they are as good as - was able to win it all.  That might give them confidence that they are good enough to win it all and help them focus on getting home field advantage for a run next year.  Perhaps fewer regular season let-downs would result.

Keep in mind that last year, the Chiefs beat the Bills handily twice - once in Buffalo (score was close, but Chiefs controlled the whole game) and in the AFCCG, where the Chiefs spotted the Bills 2 scores and still blew them out.  The Bills have clearly narrowed/closed the gap and are as good as the best.  Year 1 - KC clearly better; Year 2 - narrow/close the gap, draw even; Year 3 - surpass.  It may not play out this way, but it certainly could.

If KC flops, the Bills will have lost to a team that wasn't the best.

My prediction is that the Chiefs beat Cincy.  Cincy will scrap and stay in the game for a while, but KC will pull away.  The Rams will beat SF and get to the SB.  Rams-Chiefs will be a very close battle.  Rams D is fierce and with Stafford, Kupp, OBJ, etc. they are dangerous enough on offense to put up points.  Stafford is not as elusive as Mahomes and more likely to turn the ball over, so KC wins a close game.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes after an amazing year, no doubt it wil be easy to make multiple SuperBowls in the future.   Dan Marino

I've heard this a few times - it's a valuable historical example, but I reject it.  

The Dolphins were terrible at building a balanced team around Marino. They kept doing the Lions thing of getting receivers and ignoring other key areas.  And the game passed Shula by.

Plus, they couldn't deal w/ the Bills. We don't have that kind of divisional obstacle.

If the Bills had beaten the Chiefs I would say they most likely get to the Super Bowl. I think they would have beaten the Bengals in a high scoring game at home. Good chance they would beat SF in the Super Bowl but LA would be a toss up. I could see the Bills losing to the Rams in the Super Bowl. Unfortunately we will never get the chance to see how it would have played out.

I wouldnt discount Cincy, especially after that roller coaster emotional game.  Higgins and Chase make me a bit nervous with Tre White not available.  I would feel really good about the Bills beating Cincinnati at home overall, perhaps 80% confident in a win.

Going into the playoffs, the Rams were actually the team that 'scared' me the most other than Kansas City.   Their offense has the ability to light it up and they have a star-studded defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

The idea that we would have breezed to a Lombardi seems to be a popular one on the board, and I admit that it's how I have felt.

But we were a one-man team all year, for good and bad.  Even in our good wins, it was almost all Allen.  Singletary was starting to click, but all that did was give us a competent run game - nothing above average.  Our D was ranked #1, but I think we'd all agree that was kind of a mirage.  Personally, I think the Bengals and Rams have more impactful defenses, though they are both ranked much lower.   The Rams in particular have a fierce pass rush - which we do not have and haven't really had all season.

Allen's already a legend at this point, but it's hard to remember too many teams that won it all w/ so much of their success attributable to one player.  Even in Brady's runs, there were games that the D & special teams made the plays for the win.

We were clicking on all cylinders over the last month+ for sure, but the most impressive wins were over Carolina and New England (both times) - and I think the Pats were wildly overrated because of that 7-game win streak, which was their mirage.  Prior to that, we couldn't figure this team out.

The Bucs had one of the best pass rushes in the league & had a hard time getting to Stafford.  It's possible that a SB match-up with the Rams would have really exposed our weaknesses.

I tend to rationalize losses, but maybe we'll look back on this as a necessary step. We need to get this team's Bruce Smith & shore up a few other areas.  And when we finally do get back, there will be no doubt.

no

50 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

It might seem insane to say in January 2022, but it may have been a long-term blessing in disguise. If we would have won the SB this year, we may have rested on our laurels.

NOW? Allen's about to go crazy in the off-season again. Coming off a legendary performance. He could make another step as QB, perhaps a higher level than what anyone has seen before. And Beane and McDermott are about to take serious looks in the mirror and realize they also need to level up. 

This loss may have meant the difference between one and done SB, and future dynasty.

So he did make a massive improvement over these two postseason games relative to last season, but the regular season was a statistical step back

2020 - 4,544 yrds, 7.9avg, 69.2% completion, 37 td, 10 int, 76.6 QBR, 107.2 RT

2021- 4,407 yrds, 6.8avg, 63.3% completion, 36 td, 15 int, 60.6 QBR, 92.2 RT

Still great numbers, but it's definitely a regression relative to the 2020 regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, harryS said:

Cincy would've been a 51-3 repeat.

Super Bowl vs the Rams would be a toss-up.  If it were the 49ers, we'd be the heavy favorites.

You're right but we shouldn't underplay it either.  This was our best shot at a SB in forever and the coaches blew it.

Yep.  having the best cover squad in the league, how they did not call and/or execute the pooch kickoff to the 5 yard line to run 6-7 secs off the clock is beyond comprehension, yes.  they did it all year with great success.  Situational football failure, we just don't know which coach pooped the bed on that one.  Its gonna come out eventually, the media will go to Bass and ask him point blank.  

Hate to say it, but the whole 13 second thing was so "Billsy".  thought we were done with that term, but I guess not.  On the bright side, progress is not linear and I can see this roster getting into the same position again next year, which is really something to look forward to. 

Edited by ProcessTruster

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I wouldnt discount Cincy, especially after that roller coaster emotional game.  Higgins and Chase make me a bit nervous with Tre White not available.  I would feel really good about the Bills beating Cincinnati at home overall, perhaps 80% confident in a win.

Going into the playoffs, the Rams were actually the team that 'scared' me the most other than Kansas City.   Their offense has the ability to light it up and they have a star-studded defense.  

I keep thinking about that defense. I'm old school, so an adherent to the "defense wins championships" wisdom.  I know there are exceptions, but that is a pretty solid rule.

They have a great pass rush. We don't.

1 hour ago, harryS said:

Cincy would've been a 51-3 repeat.

Super Bowl vs the Rams would be a toss-up.  If it were the 49ers, we'd be the heavy favorites.

You're right but we shouldn't underplay it either.  This was our best shot at a SB in forever and the coaches blew it.

The Rams have not beat Shanahan under McVay, they are 0-6 versus them.  That was the LAST team they wanted to see in the NFCCG.  Will likely be a 49ers - Chiefs game and 49ers will get manhandled.

1 hour ago, Success said:

The idea that we would have breezed to a Lombardi seems to be a popular one on the board, and I admit that it's how I have felt.

But we were a one-man team all year, for good and bad.  Even in our good wins, it was almost all Allen.  Singletary was starting to click, but all that did was give us a competent run game - nothing above average.  Our D was ranked #1, but I think we'd all agree that was kind of a mirage.  Personally, I think the Bengals and Rams have more impactful defenses, though they are both ranked much lower.   The Rams in particular have a fierce pass rush - which we do not have and haven't really had all season.

Allen's already a legend at this point, but it's hard to remember too many teams that won it all w/ so much of their success attributable to one player.  Even in Brady's runs, there were games that the D & special teams made the plays for the win.

We were clicking on all cylinders over the last month+ for sure, but the most impressive wins were over Carolina and New England (both times) - and I think the Pats were wildly overrated because of that 7-game win streak, which was their mirage.  Prior to that, we couldn't figure this team out.

The Bucs had one of the best pass rushes in the league & had a hard time getting to Stafford.  It's possible that a SB match-up with the Rams would have really exposed our weaknesses.

I tend to rationalize losses, but maybe we'll look back on this as a necessary step. We need to get this team's Bruce Smith & shore up a few other areas.  And when we finally do get back, there will be no doubt.

No...the Bills are simply better than Cincy at this point.  Would have been a similar game to us versus KC last year...sort of competitive but not really.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.