Are we overplaying this team's chances had we won?

Success

The idea that we would have breezed to a Lombardi seems to be a popular one on the board, and I admit that it's how I have felt.

But we were a one-man team all year, for good and bad.  Even in our good wins, it was almost all Allen.  Singletary was starting to click, but all that did was give us a competent run game - nothing above average.  Our D was ranked #1, but I think we'd all agree that was kind of a mirage.  Personally, I think the Bengals and Rams have more impactful defenses, though they are both ranked much lower.   The Rams in particular have a fierce pass rush - which we do not have and haven't really had all season.

Allen's already a legend at this point, but it's hard to remember too many teams that won it all w/ so much of their success attributable to one player.  Even in Brady's runs, there were games that the D & special teams made the plays for the win.

We were clicking on all cylinders over the last month+ for sure, but the most impressive wins were over Carolina and New England (both times) - and I think the Pats were wildly overrated because of that 7-game win streak, which was their mirage.  Prior to that, we couldn't figure this team out.

The Bucs had one of the best pass rushes in the league & had a hard time getting to Stafford.  It's possible that a SB match-up with the Rams would have really exposed our weaknesses.

I tend to rationalize losses, but maybe we'll look back on this as a necessary step. We need to get this team's Bruce Smith & shore up a few other areas.  And when we finally do get back, there will be no doubt.

Cincy would've been a 51-3 repeat.

Super Bowl vs the Rams would be a toss-up.  If it were the 49ers, we'd be the heavy favorites.

You're right but we shouldn't underplay it either.  This was our best shot at a SB in forever and the coaches blew it.

• Agree 1

If the Chiefs go on to win a championship then it's easy to assume the Bills would have done the same.

This is why in some ways I'm hoping the Chiefs season ends Sunday against the Bengals or in the SB because if anything it will lesson the blow of one of the worst choke jobs in all pro sports.

And as crazy as it sounds, this very well may have been the Chiefs SB against the Bills. Bengals are certainly capable of beating them and already have in the regular season just like the Bills.

• Agree 1

We'd destroy the Bengals, and then (assuming Rams) we would be the SB favorites.  

Rams "can" beat both the Bills and Chiefs (Niners cannot), but two things:

1)  Stafford doesn't have Mahomes mobility.  We would be able to get to him a few times.  

2)  As good as Kupp/Beckham/Jefferson are, they aren't track stars, and Higbee isn't Kelce.  

Our Offense would score on them, and while our defense would have some struggles, they would look much more competent against the Rams.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We'd destroy the Bengals, and then (assuming Rams) we would be the SB favorites.  

Rams "can" beat both the Bills and Chiefs (Niners cannot), but two things:

1)  Stafford doesn't have Mahomes mobility.  We would be able to get to him a few times.  

2)  As good as Kupp/Beckham/Jefferson are, they aren't track stars, and Higbee isn't Kelce.  

Our Offense would score on them, and while our defense would have some struggles, they would look much more competent against the Rams.  

I agree w/ most of this - but destroying the Bengals?  I think we're really selling that team short.  A lot of fans are saying that, but Cincy is an excellent team. They just beat KC a few weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I agree w/ most of this - but destroying the Bengals?  I think we're really selling that team short.  A lot of fans are saying that, but Cincy is an excellent team. They just beat KC a few weeks ago.

I think they played over their heads that day, had home crowd energy to fuel a comeback and KC got up big and could never regain their edge once they let up a bit.  

They're defense is really pedestrian outside Hendrickson and Bates.  On Offense, they have the weaponry of the Bills, a QB a notch below Allen and the OL of us mid-season.  

I just don't see a dialed in Bills/Chiefs not making easy work of them at home.  It's basically Chiefs vs Bills minus the threat of a QB run game and with the OL we trotted out in Jacksonville. 

• Agree 1

I think we would have beaten Cinci, even though another high explosive team, I have to think with their lack of big game experience on the road in a hostile environment we'd win. If we faced the 49ers, I think it would be close but I think we would win. The Rams, I would think would be another barn burner type game for the SB that could go either way but we dont have to worry about it now. 

In 2020…it took a whole 30 minutes before McVay figured out Fraizer/McDermott defnese and poured on 29 points in the 2nd Half.

With Akers back giving RAMS a deadly balance of run AND pass that would force Bills defenders to think and not just react…Cupp playing at MVP level and Stafford now pulling trigger…

no doubt RAMS would have opportunity to roll up 35-45 points on Bills Defense.

it would have taken another Hero Game from Allen and the O-Line Not caving under the pressure of Darnold and Miller.

I probably would have taken the Rams to win at home

Bills - 27

Rams - 41

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The majority here are, but they always are overestimating the Bills chances.

Some of us have kept it realistic.

I think we would have beaten the Bengals easily, would probably beat the 49ers but you never know, and the Rams game would be a total toss-up.  Could go either way and play out in any way for either team IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Favored significantly vs Bengals.

Coin toss (too soon?) vs Rams. 

Either way we would have shown we can go toe-to-toe with and beat the Chiefs, so there would be a good chance we could win our next 2. Allen would likely be seen as the best remaining QB. 

I’m not sure any rational fan would think winning the AFCCG & SB is a breeze. Especially for a team that lost to the Jags. 

It might seem insane to say in January 2022, but it may have been a long-term blessing in disguise. If we would have won the SB this year, we may have rested on our laurels.

NOW? Allen's about to go crazy in the off-season again. Coming off a legendary performance. He could make another step as QB, perhaps a higher level than what anyone has seen before. And Beane and McDermott are about to take serious looks in the mirror and realize they also need to level up. 

This loss may have meant the difference between one and done SB, and future dynasty.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think we would’ve been the 7 point favorites over Cincy at home like KC.  Then 7 point favorites over SF or 3 point favorites over Rams.  There’s never an easy road to a Super Bowl, but we would’ve been the favorites to win it all among the 4 teams no doubt.  

Why would we have been faves over the Rams? They only have 5 losses.

Rams would have been tough but the Bills have more weapons on offense. All Daboll would need to do is keep Singletary or Moss in to help block Donald.  Dawkins can handle Miller most of the time 1:1.  Dawkins was playing an an all-time level down the stretch. Best he has looked in three years after coming back from COVID.  Rams are not nearly as dynamic as KC.  Bills pass rush probably gets Stafford on the ground unlike letting Mahommes get free. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.