I would give Daboll and big raise and try to keep him

Miyagi-Do Karate

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think Beane understands gameday coaching is an art not a science.  Easy to question a punt, FG, snap counts for certian players, etc after the game.  I felt like kicking was the right call... the formations seemed to favor X over Y

I would disagree.  There are all kinds of decisions that are arguably objectively right or wrong during a game.  Not all, but a lot of them.  How to kick the ball off is one of those things.  And we got that wrong.

How to defend is another, and we got that wrong too.

McD gets a lot of those wrong...he always has.  It's his weakness as a HC.

He excels at other areas of head coaching, away from in-game tactics.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I get the impression that Bean and McD are going to have some serious discussion or maybe more of a monologue where Beane tell McD what isn’t cutting it anymore.

Beane alluded to questioning McD during the season after games. I hate that we are here but I’d love to be a fly on the wall during that meeting. 

You are assuming that the power in the organization flows from Beane to McDermott, but I have always firmly believed it goes the other way.  

It's not uncommon in the NFL for the HC to have more power than the GM, though that would be unheard of in the NHL, for example.

He can always come back and be offensive coordinator for the Bills if he flames out with whatever team hires him.

We're going to have some coaches hired away in the coming years. Some of them won't make it work and will come back to Buffalo. That's fine. Keep the pipeline of coaching and GM talent full and keep churning out quality candidates.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But we did outscore the Chiefs, and then our Defense couldnt stop them...

...which I guess is just another way of saying we didn't outscore them.

29 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Nope. I feel the same way about Daboll and Frazier. I would not mind seeing them return, but I'm also not worried about replacing them. I believe good staff will want to coach Allen and this defense; and new blood/ideas could help get the team to the next level. 

Of course it matters WHO would replace them, but I too agree that while I wouldn't mind seeing them return, I think they've contributed a lot of what they can do. The D, well Mc D has huge stamp on it. And for the O, Josh has now had time to develop well and learn a lot of what he could from Daboll. If they leave, the replacements WILL matter though. 

What I personally dislike are coaches that try to make players fit their systems instead of them fitting theirs around the players.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You are assuming that the power in the organization flows from Beane to McDermott, but I have always firmly believed it goes the other way.  

It's not uncommon in the NFL for the HC to have more power than the GM, though that would be unheard of in the NHL, for example.

We don’t know.

Ultimately, they have to both answer to ownership which is a little more dialed into the local Buffalo zeitgeist than some other owners.

I think a legitimate argument can be made that if you chose ten random posters off this board and dropped them in that situation with 13 seconds left, you have numerous ones that make better decisions.

One mistake is one thing, three in a row in a 10 seconds of game clock span? WTF

Pegula might give them grace but he can’t be happy.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, Bangarang said:

He obviously wants to be a HC. If it were about money then there’s more to be made as a HC (even a bad one) than the highest paid OC. 

The NFL is weird. Guys that are once hot HC candidates can fizzle out. Look at a guy like Greg Roman. He was always being mentioned and now nobody seems to care. 

The Bills were apparently very high on Harold Goodwin when they hired McDermott. I had to look him up, former OC for the Cards, now with Tampa. Nobody is mentioning his name today.

Only 32 jobs. Daboll will take an offer if it comes to him

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Nope. I feel the same way about Daboll and Frazier. I would not mind seeing them return, but I'm also not worried about replacing them. I believe good staff will want to coach Allen and this defense; and new blood/ideas could help get the team to the next level.

I'm a little concerned since I'm not of the school that any change to anyone is an improvement.

But I do note that the Chiefs in fact wound up replacing their DC after their loss in the 2018 AFCCG, and the rest is history.

A bit of background here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sutton_(American_football)

"The offense was a rocket ship, especially early, which meant the defense was often playing with the lead in obvious passing situations. That played to the group’s strength, which was the pass rush, and away from its weaknesses — stopping the run and quick passes".[5] Sutton had reportedly lost the support of players and coaches who felt that his "lack of adjustments has been a non-stop frustration", so he was relieved of his duties two days after the loss to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game,[6] when the Chiefs defense twice failed to hold a 4th quarter lead and surrendered several 3rd and long conversions on New England's game-winning touchdown drive in overtime. The overtime drive highlighted Sutton's weaknesses that cost him his job, as the Patriots largely converted those 3rd downs on near-identical plays. Notably, CBS commentator Tony Romo was successfully able to predict the plays based on the formation, which led to even more criticism of Sutton.

Any of this sound familiar?

I hope that whoever is in that position next year understands that sometimes the QBs best friend is a solid ground game.

Motor had 26 yards in the game we just lost all the while we had started getting our ground game going the previous 3 games.

26 yards

Its not just about the committment to running it.....its getting the horses to do it.  Bates was a good start......athletic OL that will get out in front and block somebody but still be able to hold up in pass protection.   Say good buy to the Cody Fords and Jon F's......bring in OL that know its ok to pull and hit somebody.

Today with S&B on GR-55, John Clayton said "You figure Daboll is going to go to either the Giants or Miami."

But it didn't really sound like he knows anything; more like he's just repeating the same news we are all hearing.

I think Daboll has been a bit overrated. I think Josh's progression is a result of a team of people and Josh's insane desire to be the best. He is the ultimate competitor. I think Daboll's play-calling left a lot to be desired and his in-game adjustments were minimal and ineffective. I root for him and hope he does well (being an SF Red Raider and hometown guy how can I not want him to succeed) but I think his best shot at success is with Miami if they take him. NY will eat him up. 

I'd like to see Josh team up with a real offensive guru and dial up some high octane offense. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Today with S&B on GR-55, John Clayton said "You figure Daboll is going to go to either the Giants or Miami."

But it didn't really sound like he knows anything; more like he's just repeating the same news we are all hearing.

Well they dont know anything other than Daboll has a second interview with both teams.

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Well they dont know anything other than Daboll has a second interview with both teams.

Yep.  Along with several other candidates:

I've been tracing back various "buzz" about Daboll being the favorite to become Dolphins head coach, and it all seems to cite that one NY Daily News article.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-dolphins-head-coach-search-brian-daboll-20220127-753mjkwd2nfbzazi4br77rexom-story.html

That article cites "Several league sources believe Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is the favorite to be the Miami Dolphins’ next head coach."

Who are these league sources?  Are they actually plugged in to the Dolphins decision making process?  Or are they basically just guys around the league, who are connecting the dots that Daboll worked with Tua in college and has had success developing one young QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The window on the sort of thing doesn't stay open forever.

The timing is right for Daboll to go now.  If he doesn't, it may not happen at all.

He has been passed over quite a few times now going back to last year.

I wonder what teams see in him when they do the interviewing.

My impression is that Daboll would come off as not having the people skills or communication skills to be an effective HC, but I really don't know the guy or what his personality is like.

I'm just going by what you see in brief interviews and the like.

Well one of the big questions is who are you bringing with you for OC/DC and what system you will use on both sides of the ball.

Maybe his reach isn't as deep as other candidates.

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm a little concerned since I'm not of the school that any change to anyone is an improvement.

But I do note that the Chiefs in fact wound up replacing their DC after their loss in the 2018 AFCCG, and the rest is history.

A bit of background here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sutton_(American_football)

Any of this sound familiar?

I don't believe there a reason to change, but if change is coming I believe the team is a great position to grow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.