Ken Dorsey - would he choose OC here or leave to be Daboll's OC?

Heavy Kevi

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I love Fitz, and lead the bandwagon to get him into the HoF. But I don't want him anywhere near Josh with his backup curse. He can sign a 1-day contract to retire as a Bill, but that's it.

For backup QB, I'd follow the Trubisky model. Keep finding those 1st round picks that were mishandled by the team that drafted them, and bring them in for 1 year.

Next year is Darnold (who is good friends with Josh), year after maybe Daniel Jones, year after that Trey Lance, etc...

It would poetic justice to sign Josh Rosen as Josh's backup.

It seems like a pretty simple career choice for Dorsey.

Be an OC for a defensive minded head coach, get to call the offensive plays, and continue working with Josh Allen

or

Be an OC for an offensive minded head coach, not get to call the offensive plays (most likely), and work with whomever Daboll's team's QB is...

Taking the Bills OC job should be a no-brainer if it is offered to Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Why would he leave to work with much lesser QB, whoever it will be? 

I had two thoughts, and this was one of them.

The second is, what is Dorsey's fastest track to a HC opportunity?  I think Buffalo will get him more exposure, quicker.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If he wants to go work with Daniel Jones then I wouldn’t lose sleep over him leaving. Sounds like a dumb decision to me.

We’ll have plenty of options to replace Daboll if he does leave. 

This is true. If he's dumb enough to leave a future HOF qb over Trubisky or Jones, then maybe we don't need more dumb coaches on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I don’t think the bills would release him from contract to make a lateral Move.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know his alma mater The U reportedly has a salary of over $1.5M per year on the table in search for their next OC.   Daboll was one of the highest paid OC's in the league in Buffalo at I believe around $2M.    So I think Dorsey might have a decision to make between college and the NFL as well.

He would be the odds on favorite to stay and be the OC. If the Bills aren't making him OC, then they would let him go follow Daboll

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Why would he leave to work with much lesser QB, whoever it will be? 

Josh seems to give you a better chance to look like a genius OC and create opportunities for a HC gig. Not personally knowing any of the players involved, this seems objectively to be his best path assuming he wants to be a HC some day. What is his relationship with Daboll like? How close are they? I have no idea. 

I should add, what does McD think of him? Are we sure that he would be McD’s first choice? Again, I don’t know. 

He could attract some fine candidates to that situation, but I suspect Josh would rather keep him, and that should carry some weight.

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Josh seems to give you a better chance to look like a genius OC and create opportunities for a HC gig. Not personally knowing any of the players involved, this seems objectively to be his best path assuming he wants to be a HC some day. What is his relationship with Daboll like? How close are they? I have no idea. 

I should add, what does McD think of him? Are we sure that he would be McD’s first choice? Again, I don’t know. 

He could attract some fine candidates to that situation, but I suspect Josh would rather keep him, and that should carry some weight.

Also could have people saying who cares what he schemed, it was all Allen.

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If he wants to go work with Daniel Jones then I wouldn’t lose sleep over him leaving. Sounds like a dumb decision to me.

We’ll have plenty of options to replace Daboll if he does leave. 

I think it’s also worth pointing out that if he goes to the Giants he will still be a glorified QB coach. Do you honestly think that Daboll would let Dorsey call the plays?

• Agree 1

The Bills would be the no-brainer move (and Pegs can match any salary offer).  But everyone has their own motives.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct but he was actually the passing game coordinator. I think what will happen is Dorsey to OC, chad hall to passing game coordinator, Shea tierney to QB coach 

That would be great, but I think Daboll will try to take either Hall or Tierney.

9 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

It's clear everyone expects Daboll to get a HC job this year, including Josh who's publicly stated he expects Daboll to go. It's also widely believed that Josh wants Dorsey as OC, and McD said Josh's input is important to him.

What do you think Dorsey would do given both options, to stay and OC a proven star on a SB caliber team in Josh/Bills, or does he take OC is NY (or wherever) with Daboll and potentially Trubisky?

Does he stay or does he go?

Bills are a fast track to a HC gig.  Career wise, staying here statistically will give him better odds of getting a HC gig in the next 2 to 3 years.  Doesn't mean he cant do that somewhere else, but he will have a lot better shot at shining and being in demand working with Allen and this offense than starting somewhere during a rebuild.  

Look at Daboll, much longer and more impressive resume...took him a long time to finally get real consideration as a HC because they had to build the offense up first then show it wasn't a fluke too.  Lot of people thought he would get it last year, and that didn't happen.  

Yet as you look around the league, you see guys step into coordinator spots with great offenses and start getting HC buzz and mentions much quicker.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.