Looks like the call to squib may not have made it to Bass

Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

The average kickoff return (that gets 15-20 yards) burns 6-7 seconds of clock. 

Squib or pooch inside the 20 and KC likely returns it to the 30 (ish) and burns 6 seconds (we'll go low end).

Now, instead of 1st and 10 from the 25 with 13 seconds, it's 1st and 10 from the 30 with 7 seconds. 

Game's over, even with the defense we played. There's not enough time for 2 plays and a FG. 

This doesn’t even make sense.  Why would it take 6 seconds to return a kick 5 yards?  Why would you assume that your special teams guys who make the league minimum are better equipped to defend the most explosive team in the NFL than the best defense in the NFL?

There were  9 kickoff returns for TDs in the NFL this year.  There were 0 scoring drives of 40+ yards that started with 13 seconds or less on the clock.  In that situation, you don’t tell your Special Teams coach to help you win the game.  The game was won.  You tell him not to f*** it up.  Every Bills fan on the planet wishes that Scott Kristie had kicked it through the end zone.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not against Mahomes and that offense.  Somebody posted that the only kicks returned for TD’s were brought out of the end zone or goal line.  The short high kick to the 10-15 was the right call.  If Hill was back there, I could live with them kicking it out of end zone.  He inexplicably wasn’t.  That’s the difference between good situational coaches and scared ones.  

That person is wrong.  There were 4 TD returns that were kicked short of the end zone.  One was on a squib kick.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

If true, that's legit terrible. The ONE guy who needs to know didn't know 

Agreed....but at the same time in a last second situation like that I kinda feel like squib should be obvious to every player, but oh well.....

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

This doesn’t even make sense.  Why would it take 6 seconds to return a kick 5 yards?  Why would you assume that your special teams guys who make the league minimum are better equipped to defend the most explosive team in the NFL than the best defense in the NFL?

There were  9 kickoff returns for TDs in the NFL this year.  There were 0 scoring drives of 40+ yards that started with 13 seconds or less on the clock.  In that situation, you don’t tell your Special Teams coach to help you win the game.  The game was won.  You tell him not to f*** it up.  Every Bills fan on the planet wishes that Scott Kristie had kicked it through the end zone.

I'll ride with giving the ball to Pringle with a running clock over Mahomes.

We've heavily invested in ST aces with guys like Taiwan Jones and Matakevich.  It's the right play.

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

That person is wrong.  There were 4 TD returns that were kicked short of the end zone.  One was on a squib kick.

It does make sense. As I said, if the return gets 15-20 yards it takes on average 6-7 seconds. Obviously a 5 yard return takes less, but it is also a 5 yard return. So they take a couple seconds and get it at the 10 or 15 now with 11 seconds or even 10.

You know what you'd do then? What McD did. That's the defense for that situation. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're forgetting a few things.

Like the  blocked punt for 7 points in the Steelers game (which we lost by 7); that was NOT on Haack.

Blocks happen...

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-2021-nfl-special-teams-rankings

Rick Gosselin is excellent at this, the STs were not bad

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

It does make sense. As I said, if the return gets 15-20 yards it takes on average 6-7 seconds. Obviously a 5 yard return takes less, but it is also a 5 yard return. So they take a couple seconds and get it at the 10 or 15 now with 11 seconds or even 10.

Byron Pringle averages 25 yards per return.  Let’s say they kick it short to the 15 and he returns it 25 yards to the 40 with 7 seconds remaining.  That leaves you in the exact same position as when Kelce caught the pass.  This was a defensive failure.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Byron Pringle averages 25 yards per return.  Let’s say they kick it short to the 15 and he returns it 25 yards to the 40 with 7 seconds remaining.  That leaves you in the exact same position as when Kelce caught the pass.  This was a defensive failure.

I'd rather say they kick it to the 5 and he returns it to the 30 with 7 seconds remaining. Plus you make them choose. If it hits the ground the clock starts plus there are Bills around, so I need to get this ball and do something with it. 

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think McD figured that it was the perfect defense to follow a squib/pooch, but it would also work with 13 seconds, albeit not as ideal. 

It was the perfect defense to stop 1 play, but not 2. 

I think you are correct here and they chose to play it safe instead of having Hill take a crossed to the house again. 

Sal was talking about it on wgr yesterday,  there is a good chance Levi a made a mistake on Kelce as well. Throughout the season,  they are taught to guard the line and don't let them beat you outside and to funnel the play back in,  which is apparently how Wallace played that last defensive possession in regulation. 

Another thing while I am venting. KC had just been scored on, the stadium was hushed and they must have been crushed knowing that they were going to lose. If you squib kick off or pop it up, chances are the returners are going to be so down, upset or discombobulated by what has just happened they may screw up, fumble try something stupid like a forward lateral and forget any possible script that their coaches MIGHT and I stress MIGHT have had planned for the return. We simply do not know if the Chiefs would have crumbled or what they still had left because we removed that stressful option for them by being scared on the kick off and putting it through the endzone. If you take a look at the Kick off AFTER the MCM miracle TD when the Bills got the ball kicked to them (and the resulting pathetic play that followed) you get an idea of what Im talking about. No doubt about it, the KO through the endzone gave them a slight life line because it guaranteed Mahomes got back on the field one last time. Just a complete failure of strategy by the Bills .

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'd rather say they kick it to the 5 and he returns it to the 30 with 7 seconds remaining. Plus you make them choose. If it hits the ground the clock starts plus there are Bills around, so I need to get this ball and do something with it. 

I understand what you’re saying.  You’re saying they should perfectly execute some hypothetical play.  Every perfectly executed strategy works.  The question is who do you trust to execute with the game on the line.  Do you want $5,000,000 worth of salary on the field or do you want $100,000,000 worth out there?

This isn’t Madden.  You don’t get to just drop the ball on the 5 yard line because you sat on your couch and pushed the button.  If you could, nobody would know what the term Music City Miracle meant.

If the number 1 defense can’t stop a team from their own 25 with 13 seconds left then that other team deserves to win.

17 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If it hits the ground the clock starts

Nope

Edited by Billl

28 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'll ride with giving the ball to Pringle with a running clock over Mahomes.

We've heavily invested in ST aces with guys like Taiwan Jones and Matakevich.  It's the right play.

Wasn't it ST ace Taiwan Jones that got called for the penalty that negated the punt that would otherwise have flipped the field?

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

Sound logic but I can't recall anyone getting beyond the 25 against the Bills all year on that high kick that lands at the 5.  Most were tackled inside the 20. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Wasn't it ST ace Taiwan Jones that got called for the penalty that negated the punt that would otherwise have flipped the field?

That was the off-setting penalties right? Don't think they ever showed replay of that, if so it was when I went to mix another drink and missed it.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That was effectively a 70 yard penalty.  KC would’ve had ball around their 15 after their holding penalty.  Got the ball on our 15 after Hill return.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.