Looks like the call to squib may not have made it to Bass

Reed83HOF

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We lost the game because we allowed them to beat us. What we all watched is confirmation enough.

MCM miracle sucked but it wasn’t this level of ineptitude with multiple plays that all SUCKED on our part.

SWEAR WORD REALLY  LOUD👿👿👿👿👿👿

Yeah, the MCM was just really great execution by the Titans…this was just an epic fail by the Bills on three straight plays…and I’m pretty sure this one cost us a Lombardi Trophy.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

If it’s true, doesn’t Bass deserve a little blame too?  I mean should he have double-checked when no instruction came to kick it short??? Shouldn’t he have said WTF???

It's a system failure, not one coach or player noticed he wasn't there, this includes Bass

• Dislike 1

I would have rather seen a high pop up kick to the 5...they would have had to run it back and it likely would have taken at least half the time off the clock if not more. Pringle was back there not Hill. Bills have been phenomenal at pinning those kicks inside the 20 all year

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would even say flustered and fold, if this is true the execution was no one filled in the kicker.

In this situation every player was focusing on what their responsibilities are, seems like the ST coach should have ensured all 11 players were there and accounted for. How no one realized Bass wasnt filled in is a big failure on the coaching staff's shoulders, not one other playing noticing he wasnt there is unfortunate. The failure was making sure all 11 were there when it was told....

For sure.

bye bye Heath 

I can't do this. Let me try to move on. Remember when Mcdermott declined that penalty earlier in the season that would have made it a 53 yard FG vs 48? Our coach made idiotic /questionable decisions all year long, this was nothing new. Execution my ***, Mcdermott is to blame and his lack of communication. ESPECIALLY with all the timeouts we had left to make sure everything was perfect.

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

If it’s true, doesn’t Bass deserve a little blame too?  I mean should he have double-checked when no instruction came to kick it short??? Shouldn’t he have said WTF???

Just speculating, Well yeah I was thinking wouldn't bass check what kind of kick he is doing. Could be a total brain fart from farwell to speak to the huddle and forget the message until bass has kicked it like has been said. That would obviously back up that the squib was called because he was talking about coverage. Also Mcd could always talk to the kicker himself aswell in the worst case scenario that he doesn't get the message. Obviously don't expect the message to not get through from the s/t coach. 

Just now, NewEra said:

For sure.

bye bye Heath 

Not sure it is fireable, that is on mcd to error proof that process. It's unfortunate, but it is a gap in your process. The coaching staff will fix it and put countermeasures in place to prevent it from happening again. Aside from Haack (and this kick), the unit was good all season.

FWIW, Jay Felly told Sal Cappacio he would kick it out of the end zone since so many weird things can happen on a kick off, which is true.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not sure it is fireable, that is on mcd to error proof that process. It's unfortunate, but it is a gap in your process. The coaching staff will fix it and put countermeasures in place to prevent it from happening again. Aside from Haack (and this kick), the unit was good all season.

FWIW, Jay Felly told Sal Cappacio he would kick it out of the end zone since so many weird things can happen on a kick off, which is true.

The MCM special teams coach was canned, and this was worse…

ok, then Jay Feely is an idiot.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It depends on protocol. If the protocol is McD tells Heath, Heath tells the players then it’s on Heath and he should be fired.  That’s a monster mistake on the biggest stage and may have cost us our first Lombardi.  

If there was any miscommunication, it's absolutely on the coaches. It's their job to call the play and make sure everyone knows their role. If bass was off to the side, every coach should be talking to him. The coverage team's role is to fly down field regardless of whether or not its to be kicked out. They dont need to know its going to be dropped short, stay in their lanes and make a tackle, just like every other kick off. That's high school sh*t.

50 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is based off of a Cover 1 video last night. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet

Erik Turner states this very definitively, that a Squib was called, the ST unit was in the huddle, and Bass was warming up on the side and didn't get the call.

He says "the fact is...."

This is a HUGE scoop if Erik Turner does indeed have inside information to this regard, but journalists like @john wawrow aren't allowed to say stuff like that without 2 confirmed independent sources, so it would be of interest to know how Turner got this info.

The statement is at 7 minutes in for those who want to listen to what he says.  Start a bit back at 6:30 or so

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

If there was any miscommunication, it's absolutely on the coaches. It's their job to call the play and make sure everyone knows their role. If bass was off to the side, every coach should be talking to him. The coverage team's role is to fly down field regardless of whether or not its to be kicked out. They dont need to know its going to be dropped short, stay in their lanes and make a tackle, just like every other kick off. That's high school sh*t.

I find it hard to believe they do not discuss things before kicking off,  are to believe that during the season when Bass did those pop up kick offs that other players did not know. I am sure special teams captain and kicker are talking about which side he will be kicking it,  this non answer Sean offers is another way go covering for his conservative coaching.  Just admit you were worried about a possible second Music city miracle and this is why Bass took 7 yard sunup and blasted it through the end zone. 

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t know if I believe it…there HAVE to be procedures in place…this was the 19th game of the season FFS…

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t know if I believe it…there HAVE to be procedures in place…this was the 19th game of the season FFS…

20 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

I can't do this. Let me try to move on. Remember when Mcdermott declined that penalty earlier in the season that would have made it a 53 yard FG vs 48? Our coach made idiotic /questionable decisions all year long, this was nothing new. Execution my ***, Mcdermott is to blame and his lack of communication. ESPECIALLY with all the timeouts we had left to make sure everything was perfect.

There is no way the special teams captain does not speak with Bass about which side of the field he will be kicking towards and if they don't have that process in place and that is just another failure on Sean.  He screwed up and played it way too conservative ,  worried about getting beat for TD and not being aggressive to finish off your opponent. Left the door open and now wants to talk about execution

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

36 minutes ago, mannc said:

McD talked about priding himself on preparation.

How is there not an agreed upon signal from the ST coach, a fail safe for a noisy environment when it’s the most critical juncture of a game? 
    Bass looks at coach and affirms what the call is. I don’t blame this on a second year player put into the biggest situation of his young career. 
    100% on ST and Head coach.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.