Looks like the call to squib may not have made it to Bass

Reed83HOF

Thing that bugs me is that even if a coach didn't get word in to Bass, how did Bass not take it upon himself to check and somehow assumed that they wanted it kicked out of the endzone?

Like as a Kicker, you'd think he'd stop and think "I probably should squib it or kick it short of the goal line to eat clock" or at the very least say "this is a big time situation with a number of options, what do you want me to do, coach?"

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Thing that bugs me is that even if a coach didn't get word in to Bass, how did Bass not take it upon himself to check and somehow assumed that they wanted it kicked out of the endzone?

Like as a Kicker, you'd think he'd stop and think "I probably should squib it or kick it short of the goal line to eat clock" or at the very least say "this is a big time situation with a number of options, what do you want me to do, coach?"

i think from the outside the guess has to be he was told the call then a different call was given in the huddle he wasn’t in

if you were told a call seconds earlier and no one told you otherwise I don’t think that would be much of an assumption on his part. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:33 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

What I read is McDemott got his way and it was kicked through the endzone.  The wrong call.

7 hours ago, par73 said:

Right. But what we've heard to date is it was Farwell's call--or Farwell failed to inform Bass.

Which is more believable: McD told only Bass to kick a TB or the call was changed and Farwell failed to inform Bass, and now Farwell is gone?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Which is more believable: McD told only Bass to kick a TB or the call was changed and Farwell failed to inform Bass, and now Farwell is gone?

the whole story states Farwell called squib, McD then called for long kick TB. Farwell talked to McD and they went back and forth(argument?). McD (relented?) and agreed on short kick. Not squib. A compromise of sorts?

Then Bass was never told to kick short.

So what was Bass told first? Squib by Farwell?  Or kick long TB by McD? And what was last call relayed to Bass? and by whom?

And whose job was it to inform Bass to change to kick short? As that was not the first two calls. ???

every player on the kick coverage team played that KO like it was to be a short kick to left of Bass in the corner.  Not a squib, not a long kick TB. Everyone except Bass obviously.

Edited by cba fan

42 minutes ago, cba fan said:

the whole story states Farwell called squib, McD then called for long kick TB. Farwell talked to McD and they went back and forth(argument?). McD (relented?) and agreed on short kick. Not squib. A compromise of sorts?

So what was Bass told first? Squib by Farwell?  Or kick long TB by McD? And what was last call relayed to Bass? and by whom?

And whose job was it to inform Bass to change to kick short? As that was not the first two calls. ???

every player on the kick coverage team played that KO like it was to be a short kick to left of Bass in the corner.  Not a squib, not a long kick TB. Everyone except Bass obviously.

Considering he kicked it deep and didn’t huddle up with the rest of the special teams, it tells me that he was told to kick it deep from beginning and then the call was changed and not relayed to him.  By Farwell. Who is now gone. 

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

The fact (if true) that McD called a tb originally, he has no feel for the game in the big moment.

Us rubes all knew the right call on the kick and the next two plays.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The fact (if true) that McD called a tb originally, he has no feel for the game in the big moment.

Us rubes all knew the right call on the kick and the next two plays.

If he did call it originally, he then changed it.  But who knows if that was his original call, or Farwell's?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he did call it originally, he then changed it.  But who knows if that was his original call, or Farwell's?

If McD made the right call to begin with there would not have been any confusion. By the way I saw a directional kick to the five was the right call.

The Kick is only 1/3 of the FUBAR!

Bass clearly didn't know or he is simply the worst KO man ever or he is Deaf!

I'll take Door #1... ALL IN!

Which leaves us to McD & Farwell!

Simply, doesn't matter. They BOTH pooched it, either through miscommunication, wilful neglect or grotesque, Super Bowl Win on the line, stupidity !

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.