Looks like the call to squib may not have made it to Bass

Reed83HOF

A popular Bills podcaster is claiming it is "fact, not speculation" that a squib kick was called and it was communicated to the entire special teams huddle except for Bass, who was practicing to the side.

Also, the Bills played defense as if there were only 8 seconds left. You almost wonder if the defensive call was made prior to the kick and they didn't adjust. Had they squibbed, the defense they played would have been fine.

It should be noted that the podcaster has not specified how he knows the "fact" of the squib call. Does he have a source in the building?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Still McDermott’s fault if true, and doesn’t excuse the prevent, sideline, 4-man-rush defense which is also his fault. 

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A popular Bills podcaster is claiming it is "fact, not speculation" that a squib kick was called and it was communicated to the entire special teams huddle except for Bass, who was practicing to the side.

Also, the Bills played defense as if there were only 8 seconds left. You almost wonder if the defensive call was made prior to the kick and they didn't adjust. Had they squibbed, the defense they played would have been fine.

It should be noted that the podcaster has not specified how he knows the "fact" of the squib call. Does he have a source in the building?

the second part doesn’t track because they called two timeouts before plays. The defense had plenty of time to adjust. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is based off of a Cover 1 video last night. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet

Sean, just say you choked and move on. Okay, Bass didn’t get the call, defense STOP THEM. Don’t allow Hill and Kelce to run free off the line 2 plays in a row. 

9 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Even more indication that HC choked. Call TO, get entire units together and voice your plan

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Sean, just say you choked and move on. Okay, Bass didn’t get the call, defense STOP THEM. Don’t allow Hill and Kelce to run free off the line 2 plays in a row. 

Well in some ways he did say he choked just not quite so eloquently he said it all starts with him but i do agree with you as far as the NUMBER 1 DEFENSE in the NFL needing to stop them and not allowing their 2 biggest weapons to run free take a penalty if need be do what ever it takes !! 

If you can't beat them out right beat them up !! 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don’t know if I believe it…there HAVE to be procedures in place…this was the 19th game of the season FFS…

Some people get flustered and fold under stressful situations.

I don’t know where this rumor began, but I could see it being true.  

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is based off of a Cover 1 video last night. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet

Then their whole process is joke because if you're planning on doing this then you would think they would be talking  as a unit before the kick which side of the field he would be kicking to.  Again this is on the coach who brags about being prepared for situational football.

If I am the HC I would be totally involved in any final plays in such an important game.  Sean is deflecting and no different for the next two plays where they called timeouts.  They rushed 4 and left wide open field for receivers to run into,  why are you rushing 4 and not just 2 so you have more defenders to make tackles right away or jam/hold guys at the line?  Sean was covering for his whimpy coaching and even made a point yesterday to highlight his success in previous seasons

Like why is his talking about previous years?  is sounds like someone being defensive about his major coaching choke job. I do really care what you did last season or the season before.  You had an opportunity to win a Super Bowl this season and blew it,  focus on the present

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If it’s true, doesn’t Bass deserve a little blame too?  I mean should he have double-checked when no instruction came to kick it short??? Shouldn’t he have said WTF???

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, mannc said:

If it’s true, doesn’t Bass deserve a little blame too?  I mean should he have double-checked when no instruction came to kick it short??? Shouldn’t he have said WTF???

Idk….  Depends on how things have been done all season. If Heath usually finds him and tells him, it’s on Heath.  If bass usually finds Heath, it’s on Bass. 

I don’t think you should be telling your coach wtf about much unless you’re an elite QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I would even say flustered and fold, if this is true the execution was no one filled in the kicker.

In this situation every player was focusing on what their responsibilities are, seems like the ST coach should have ensured all 11 players were there and accounted for. How no one realized Bass wasnt filled in is a big failure on the coaching staff's shoulders, not one other playing noticing he wasnt there is unfortunate. The failure was making sure all 11 were there when it was told....

• Like (+1) 1

I find it really hard to believe that Bass is just in his own little world on the sideline and for the most important KO of  the season he doesnt think to ask, "what's the plan?" and confirm? and that the ST coach doesn't go to him and make sure he knows. Absolutely no way that happens.  Maybe Bass should explain, rather than it be a mystery.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.