Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I will say this, Zero -- if the Bills had won that game, a lot of critics would have targeted KC's terrible CB play in that game. The final TD to Davis was ridiculous -- no WR who is having that kind of game should be able to exploit a seam that's parted like the Red Sea in a must-pass and must-score situation. The CBs just about cost them that game. Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce baled them out.

They were missing Matthieu when he went out with his concussion.  It allowed the Bills to put Beasley in on something like 23 out of 26 snaps in the 4Q.

It's time for the Chiefs to bid Sorenson good night.

That said - the Chiefs went into that game saying "no matter what, Allen to Diggs is not going to beat us".

Davis caught them by surprise because he hadn't been a huge factor in any but one game this season.  In fact, in the 2nd NYJ game he had 14 targets and 3 receptions, because he torched them for 103 yds in the first game and the Jets were like "cover that guy!".

So KC really didn't have a good plan to lock down both Diggs and Davis.

When a QB can throw with that much anticipation and trust in his WR, and the WR shows up, it's pretty hard to defend, especially when you have your best guys locking down someone else.

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But the Chiefs didn't jump to super team status until they had Mahomes and could unleash their offense to its fullest potential.

Absolutely no argument there

Maybe we're just arguing at cross purposes.  I am all for spending resources on the D especially if the right player is available.  And I fully acknowledge that KC has a couple of studs on their D.  I just believe that when resources are tight they should tilt towards the offensive side of the ball because in Allen they have the same elite QB play as the Chiefs do.

I want more resources on O myself.  As I said up-thread - I've been banging the drum that look, we have one 1st round pick on offense - maybe 2 if you count the trade for Diggs - and 4 1st round picks we drafted plus 3 additional 1st round picks we signed on defense. 

I think the key point of disagreement is with the idea that KC doesn't concern themselves with maintaining a strong D that, as you said  "the Bills need to learn to live with what they have on defense and throw everything at the offense.  This is what the Chiefs have done".   I think that:

1) that's a misunderstanding of what the Chiefs have done

2) it's a bad idea - I think GB kind of went that route, and it squibbed on them.  The year that GB won the SB, they had the #10 offense and #2 defense.  After that, they went in on O and had #1, #8, #5, #1 offense - but D slipped to the bottom half of the league, #11 and #13 at best, and they got washed out earlier in the playoffs.

And reading you and Z's take makes me wonder if what I'm seeing has more to do with an attitude then assembling players on one side of the ball or the other.  But my eyes don't lie and the Bills & Chiefs appear to approach offense very differently in spite of having the two best QB's in the NFL. Maybe going forward it's as simple as turning Allen truly lose.

I don't know.  I think that Daboll is actually still developing as a football mind, and Reid (and maybe Bienemy) is there, for one thing.  Daboll's situation play calling is still strange to me at times.  Like, we're succeeding moving the ball downfield with a crisp passing game, and we get a turnover and he decides that's the right time to haul out a couple of gadget plays, or run it 3x in a row.  I feel as though he's improving, but I still have the hunch that several times during the season McDermott has to sit him down and say "Look, as a former defensive coordinator, I'm telling you: this is what I see in your offense and how I'm going to counter it defensively, and this is why you're seeing what's happening, and you need to change.  Now."

Maybe I'm wrong

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the one hand, this makes sense to me - we need to bring in some guys where we "know what we got".

On the other hand, UFAs in FA don't come cheap

On the third hand, one of the major feedback McDermott got when he was fired in Philly was "you have to make sure your guys buy in".  It's a repeated theme - last season some of the D who were interviewed said "guys are bought in now" (implying maybe some weren't, earlier).  I think it's almost a paralyzing fear to McDermott at times when considering mid-season improvements or free agent signings. 

It's the reason, I think, we perceive him as favoring guys he knows (ie, ex-Panthers)

Upfront and starting out, I entirely agree with bringing in guys you know. The AB "trade" was them feeling the locker room was strong enough to be able to handle a "star" like that.

If all things are equal with the players and it comes down to one you know and one you don't, I get it. I also believe that if we swing at a great IOL FA Norwell has the leg up over Scherff (although the Rivera connection is there).

I also mention this since we swung the Diggs trade to get an established WR for the offense. Hunter could be available, or dare I even look at NO who is $70m above the cap or GB who may lose Z. Smith is they keep Adams. There can be some deals to be had on any of the 9 teams getting a new HC and/or GM and the severely cap strapped teams.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but the difference now and back in his Philly days can also now be viewed as a young DC who didn't command respect from his players due to being so green and young, that's not necessarily true now. This entirely could be burnt into his psyche, but the passage of years and his experience does change that...

6 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

If they want to go outside for their CB, it’s best to draft one. This is usually a position where any level of competence breaks the bank to sign one in FA. We likely can’t afford to sign a $15M corner and most of the time, a similarly talented CB can be drafted for much less. 

In contrast, interior linemen don’t cost an arm and a leg. Would like for them to look in FA to fill this role. 

Agree on the WR. We have groomed Davis very well. We need to groom another. Someone as fast as hell. 

Beane seemingly hinted at the FA route for CB, you have to guard against Tre's return as well. What I find interesting is that they seem to be willing to let Levi walk and he is likely to get overpaid, but yet we are still filling CB2. Makes me wonder what they think of him as a player if they are willing to change him out. It just feels like if that is the case, you might as well spend a bit more to grab someone who you feel is better.

Norwell makes a lot of sense and I still think we draft one or 2

16 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Dont forget about restructuring contracts.  

Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Hill and Thuney account for $142,000,000 cap hit next season.  That’s 5 players.  All except Hill have hefty dead cap space. Hill is 2.6 million, while Clark is 12 million and it explodes from there.  Restructure a few of these, most likely Mahomes  is one of them and they get much cap relief.  I hate to say.

It takes our top 12 contracts to reach 143 million, including Josh’s contract.

Id ‘d say we are in a better cap situation than the Chiefs.  Less players accounting for the most dollars.  The Chiefs will face a day of reckoning before we do.  

Mahomes contract doesnt even kick in until next year and its 10 years long.  They cant restructure that.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

you could be like the chiefs and pay like a $100M for Chris Jones, Frank Clark, Melvin Ingram, and others— and yet have Josh Allen completely and totally Shred them. 

With Allen and Mahomes, it doesn’t really matter much who you have out there playing D line. 

I don't agree with this, i think in a game like this, a player like Melvin Ingram or Von Miller could make 1 impact play that could totally have turned around our misfortunes. We had DL breaking through but couldn't get to Mahomes but a veteran like Ingram or Miller could have gotten to him. I don't like that we were content with the guys we had and didn't try for a Miller or Ingram when they were available unless we did and they just chose other teams.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:50 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't agree with this, i think in a game like this, a player like Melvin Ingram or Von Miller could make 1 impact play that could totally have turned around our misfortunes. We had DL breaking through but couldn't get to Mahomes but a veteran like Ingram or Miller could have gotten to him. I don't like that we were content with the guys we had and didn't try for a Miller or Ingram when they were available unless we did and they just chose other teams.

in fact he did. ingram beat spencer like a drum sacked allen who fumbled it off a lineman and back into his arms. super lucky to not lose that fumble

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.