Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

Listening to the conference one thing that stood out is not even being mentioned.  Beane said the Pegula's have given them everything they have asked for.  I beg to differ.  This team needed additional help outside of the draft last year and at the trade deadline this year.  This team needed to bring in help for a super bowl run this year.  They did not upgrade any positions that were in question performing below average FROM LAST YEAR.  Not only that why in the world "when your starting CB goes on IR " don't you do anything to help mitigate this area of need.   We needed the help and Beane and the coaching staff did nothing.

Kelce and Hill shredded our CB's and all pro safeties again.  That last play when Hill went for a touchdown Milano had the angle to get to Hill and he could not shed his blocker to tackle Hill out of bounds. Milano tried to run down the field in front of Hill.  Are you kidding me.  The fastest guy in the league and Milano tries to run in a straight line to tackle this guy.  You see this over and over with our LB's.  They are not getting the job done  The same thing happened in the endzone with Kelce.  Our players are not doing "What it takes" to get the job done.  Milano never turned around in the endzone to look for the ball.  He missed 4 tackles that could have stopped KC plays earlier in the game , that resulted for more positive yards on the field for KC.

I said this last year, and this year,  that our lInebackers are crap and they are completely replaceable .  Our linebackers are only average and they signed Milano to a big deal when they should have let him walk on free agency.  He has been injured to often, he has been missing more tackles that allows teams to get more YAC.  He has been completely missing from the majority of the games this year.

Edmunds is a hole different issue.  The fact is this guy is athletic but he is not a game changer given how highly this coaching staff thinks of this guy, this does not buy you a free pass.  His on the field performance is not comparable to top linebacker play in this league.  He is terrible at positioning, gap integrity, his tackling skills are more than questionable too.  Pegula and Beane can't give money to this guy,  this team needs a better LB.  Edmunds needs to be traded or shown the door.  If our GM and head coach become blinded with their feelings that he is still developing we are screwed.  If Edmunds does not have it by now he never will.  No more free passes.

If Beane truly says the Pegula's are giving them everything they ask for then, why are we still dealing with these players that have not produced in the last two years.

This is Beans fault for not correctly addressing the positions were we need obvious upgrades for underperforming players,  to compete at the next level this has to be done this off season and in the draft.

We are not coaches but my god, I have played college sports for 4 years.  The level of coaching I was around and the demands they made of the players  and what they expected of you on field during practice and on game day,  was down right in your face and challenging you to be better.  Winning is based on player performance and results on the field during practice , and on the field game day.  You have to be smart and be able adapt as player while on the field.

The NFL is all about the money and some players play well once they get a big $ contract and there are others that don't.

I don't see our high $ players analyzing the game real time and making changes that a instinctive player will do on the field.  You need a instinct to perform at a elite level.  Talent and the ability to think fast and make the correct choices on the field is not something you can coach.  You either have it or you don't.  

Milano and Edmunds performance the last three years have done nothing to show me they deserve to be starting on this team.  They have been down right atrocious.

A.J Watt is a prime example of what I am talking about.  He is a instinctive and extremely smart player and will do anything it takes to make a play.  We do not have that from our linebackers.  Not even close to that type of effort by our LB's.

When this team needs their key players to compete and perform at higher level, as a super bowl contending team should,  I just don't see this with our high $ players on D and with our current GM and coaches and their blind favoritism to certain players on the D-Side of the ball.  

Beane just washed his hands in this press conference like he has done the last two years.  Not addressing the true area that this team needs to rectify on this defense.  IMO Buffalo's  D is made up of to many over paid underachievers and a under performing DC.  Our D is nothing more than a mirage camouflaged with good stats from playing garbage teams all year long.

Our GM, bad coaching and underperforming D cost us this game this past weekend.

I truly feel for Josh.  I don't know how he can be so humble is the press conference,  after he spilled his guts on the field to win that game.   

Did you see an single player on our D playing on the same level like Josh did.   NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!!  Oliver was the only player that made a real effort.  The rest of the D was crap.

Pathetic really.....

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agree 100%.

In 2020 the Bills lost to the Chiefs 26 - 17 in Buffalo and 38 - 24 in KC.

In 2021 the Bills beat the Chiefs 38 - 20 in KC and lost in OT 42 - 36 in KC.

We are virtually dead even with them. Win the games in the regular season we should win and hold the game in Rich stadium and we advance and they go home.

I would also note that Allen has caught up to and blown by the Chiefs:

In 2020 Allen's stats were:  42/75 for 409 yards; 4 TD/2 INT; 15 carries for 130 yards

In 2021 Allen's stats were:  42/63 for 644 yards; 7 TD/0 INT; 22 carries for 127 yards & 1 TD

i mean not to be too much of a homer but losing 3 of 4 to them isnt nearly dead even. We need a big win against them in the playoffs, when it counts, to get this monkey off our back

9 hours ago, appoo said:

I said in another thread that my spiciest take would be replacing one of Micah and Poyer with someone like Jaquan Brisker - a dynamic safety who can run, cover and hit. 

I honestly think the Bills need more speed at both Safety and Corner

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this...we need one of our safeties to be lightning quick and a bruiser - Derwin James would be ideal.

This is not a slight on Poyer or Hyde, but unfortunately they are not getting any younger or any faster.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. I think they prioritize bringing in a solid interior lineman….. Norwell(the ex Panther of course) comes to mind. 

Norwell?  The guy who shows up as the #2 FA guard on Spotrac with an AAV of $13.3M?

Yeah.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/guard/all/

33 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

i mean not to be too much of a homer but losing 3 of 4 to them isnt nearly dead even. We need a big win against them in the playoffs, when it counts, to get this monkey off our back

I think what the guy you're talking to may have meant is that we have *improved* this year to a point where we are even with them and the game is close to a coin flip.

At least that's how I took it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Technically correct but completely misleading.

Buffalo's Top 51 cap space is $2.8M with 53 players under contract. 

Whereas KC's Top 51 cap space is $21.2M with only 38 players under contract.  So to compare the two situations you'd need to add 13 more players to the Chiefs roster at $1.4M per player to make it equivalent. That's a whole bunch of replacement level free agents with a few decent FA's mixed in. Probably not 13 players better than the Bills bottom 13 already on the roster. 

Dont forget about restructuring contracts.  

Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Hill and Thuney account for $142,000,000 cap hit next season.  That’s 5 players.  All except Hill have hefty dead cap space. Hill is 2.6 million, while Clark is 12 million and it explodes from there.  Restructure a few of these, most likely Mahomes  is one of them and they get much cap relief.  I hate to say.

It takes our top 12 contracts to reach 143 million, including Josh’s contract.

Id ‘d say we are in a better cap situation than the Chiefs.  Less players accounting for the most dollars.  The Chiefs will face a day of reckoning before we do.  

Edited by davefan66

7 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Listening to the conference one thing that stood out is not even being mentioned.  Beane said the Pegula's have given them everything they have asked for.  I beg to differ.  This team needed additional help outside of the draft last year and at the trade deadline this year.  This team needed to bring in help for a super bowl run this year.  They did not upgrade any positions that were in question performing below average FROM LAST YEAR.  Not only that why in the world "when your starting CB goes on IR " don't you do anything to help mitigate this area of need.   We needed the help and Beane and the coaching staff did nothing.

Kelce and Hill shredded our CB's and all pro safeties again.  That last play when Hill went for a touchdown Milano had the angle to get to Hill and he could not shed his blocker to tackle Hill out of bounds. Milano tried to run down the field in front of Hill.  Are you kidding me.  The fastest guy in the league and Milano tries to run in a straight line to tackle this guy.  You see this over and over with our LB's.  They are not getting the job done  The same thing happened in the endzone with Kelce.  Our players are not doing "What it takes" to get the job done.  Milano never turned around in the endzone to look for the ball.  He missed 4 tackles that could have stopped KC plays earlier in the game , that resulted for more positive yards on the field for KC.

I said this last year, and this year,  that our lInebackers are crap and they are completely replaceable .  Our linebackers are only average and they signed Milano to a big deal when they should have let him walk on free agency.  He has been injured to often, he has been missing more tackles that allows teams to get more YAC.  He has been completely missing from the majority of the games this year.

Edmunds is a hole different issue.  The fact is this guy is athletic but he is not a game changer given how highly this coaching staff thinks of this guy, this does not buy you a free pass.  His on the field performance is not comparable to top linebacker play in this league.  He is terrible at positioning, gap integrity, his tackling skills are more than questionable too.  Pegula and Beane can't give money to this guy,  this team needs a better LB.  Edmunds needs to be traded or shown the door.  If our GM and head coach become blinded with their feelings that he is still developing we are screwed.  If Edmunds does not have it by now he never will.  No more free passes.

If Beane truly says the Pegula's are giving them everything they ask for then, why are we still dealing with these players that have not produced in the last two years.

This is Beans fault for not correctly addressing the positions were we need obvious upgrades for underperforming players,  to compete at the next level this has to be done this off season and in the draft.

We are not coaches but my god, I have played college sports for 4 years.  The level of coaching I was around and the demands they made of the players  and what they expected of you on field during practice and on game day,  was down right in your face and challenging you to be better.  Winning is based on player performance and results on the field during practice , and on the field game day.  You have to be smart and be able adapt as player while on the field.

The NFL is all about the money and some players play well once they get a big $ contract and there are others that don't.

I don't see our high $ players analyzing the game real time and making changes that a instinctive player will do on the field.  You need a instinct to perform at a elite level.  Talent and the ability to think fast and make the correct choices on the field is not something you can coach.  You either have it or you don't.  

Milano and Edmunds performance the last three years have done nothing to show me they deserve to be starting on this team.  They have been down right atrocious.

A.J Watt is a prime example of what I am talking about.  He is a instinctive and extremely smart player and will do anything it takes to make a play.  We do not have that from our linebackers.  Not even close to that type of effort by our LB's.

When this team needs their key players to compete and perform at higher level, as a super bowl contending team should,  I just don't see this with our high $ players on D and with our current GM and coaches and their blind favoritism to certain players on the D-Side of the ball.  

Beane just washed his hands in this press conference like he has done the last two years.  Not addressing the true area that this team needs to rectify on this defense.  IMO Buffalo's  D is made up of to many over paid underachievers and a under performing DC.  Our D is nothing more than a mirage camouflaged with good stats from playing garbage teams all year long.

I truly feel for Josh.  I don't know how he can be so humble is the press conference,  after he spilled his guts on the field to win that game.   

Did you see an single player on our D playing on the same level like Josh did.   NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!!  Oliver was the only player that made a real effort.  The rest of the D was crap.

Pathetic really.....

Milano and Edmunds have been atrocious?? Wow that’s a bit rough 

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I meant consistent failure going forward of not winning a SB because they have consistently erred on the side of caution with the cap…. They sat on their hands with a ton of available pass rushers available last off season opting for the ex Panther and a pair of rookies, the one big move they’ve made was Diggs…. They need a couple more playmakers on both sides of the ball, and I wish they would take more of a big splash risk in FA then they have to this point considering the only player they should be concerned with resigning at this point is Oliver going forward. 

The Bills are basically taking the Steelers approach, which has served Pittsburgh well for a hella long time.  Everyone looking for the “splash” is going to be repeatedly disappointed in Beane.

I’ll say it again — I have ZERO concerns about how Beane will continue to build and tweak the roster through the draft and with mid-level free agents, re-signing homegrown talent to good value deals and avoiding those “splashes” that more often than not are mistakes.

9 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

Pathetic really.....

I totally agree with you. Milano is extremely overrated. I would like to see both LB’s gone along with a new DC. I wanted them gone last season. There were plenty that we could’ve drafted. 

These aren’t NEW problems. They were quite apparent after last season. We just aren’t good enough.

There was a long stretch where our soft play seemed to be working and Mahomes had nowhere to go with the ball, but this defense didn’t have a 4th quarter strategy. They can only play 1 way, and that’s with Edmunds standing in the middle of the field with his arms out flying an airplane.

Edited by Governor

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

A splash move or two would go a long way in getting this team the one seed and over the top to a SB IMO… I understand it’s not their way and out of their comfort zone, I just wish they change the philosophy a bit. 

Dude.  They were ONE 4th down conversion at the 3-yard line vs. Tennessee away from the #1 seed THIS year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/26/2022 at 7:49 AM, BillsFanSD said:

There is nothing to "fix."  If we could somehow bring back the exact same roster next year and alter the rules of time so that nobody gets any older and nobody is any more injured than they were on Sunday, I'd happily take my chances against KC again.  They were quite clearly a somewhat better team than us last year.  They are not a better team than us now.  The Bills and Chiefs are the two best teams in the league.  We're not going to bat 1.000 against other elite teams and not realistic to expect us to.  Beane has succeeded in building a championship roster. 

Of course, we won't be able to bring back the exact same roster.  We're probably going to be in the market for at least one and maybe two WRs.  We'll probably see some turnover on the D-line.  I still think we should add more talent/depth at CB and I would like to take a long hard look at RBs who might be available in FA or the draft.  

But we're just talking about tweaking things around the margins, replacing a small number of not-especially-irreplaceable FAs, and maybe upgrading a few spots where we're getting a little old.  The core of this team is set.  

It's not just "tweaking things around the margins" IMHO.  Addison and Hughes are both FA, as is Harrison Phillips and Butler.   Rookie replacements Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham look like the "not ready for Prime Time" bunch as did Lotulelei the 2nd half of the season.  So, after using one 1st and 2 2nd round picks on DL in the last 2 seasons, we're in the place of still having to re-build our DL.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bobobonators said:

You can't look at the Bills versus the Chiefs as a static line over the last 2 seasons. Rather you need to see it as an evolving curve where the Bills are closing the gap.

The Bills were a playoff team in 2019 and didn't play the Chiefs that year but is there any doubt they would have hammered us?  Then in 2020 the Chiefs beat us rather easily in Buffalo and at KC.  This year we beat the Chiefs soundly in KC then lost in OT at KC.  That is the very definition of pulling even with the Chiefs at 1 - 1.

There is no monkey to get off our backs.  The goal now is to get strategic and make sure that in the future playoff games between the Chiefs and the Bills are played in Buffalo.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just "tweaking things around the margins" IMHO.  Addison and Hughes are both FA, as is Harrison Phillips and Butler.   Rookie replacements Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham look like the "not ready for Prime Time" bunch as did Lotulelei the 2nd half of the season.  So, after using one 1st and 2 2nd round picks on DL in the last 2 seasons, we're in the place of still having to re-build our DL.

But it should be relatively straightforward to sign Phillips and it's not an unreasonable expectation that Rousseau & Basham might see big jumps in their performance from their rookie to their 2nd seasons. Also we get Zimmer back from injury and he was playing very well before he got hurt.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But it should be relatively straightforward to sign Phillips and it's not an unreasonable expectation that Rousseau & Basham might see big jumps in their performance from their rookie to their 2nd seasons. Also we get Zimmer back from injury and he was playing very well before he got hurt.

It's not an unreasonable possibility that Rousseau and Basham might see big jumps.  Phillips was not "all that" in the early part of the season after he recovered from ACL surgery, and he had his injury earlier in the season.  Both Philips and Zimmer have been down with injuries - Zimmer this season, Phillips lost most of one season, was hindered the next, and was hindered by a different ligament injury at the start of this season.

So let me ask it a different way.  Last year, Beane made a strong case that "we need to affect the QB more".  Is it a reasonable EXPECTATION that by going with Zimmer off injury, Oliver, Phillips (oft injured), and Lotulelei (who Beane indicated fell off the last part of the season, which he attributed to Covid) at DT and Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham and a lower-tier FA or 2 at DE - but losing Hughes, Epenesa, Butler, and Obada - we will continue to at least maintain the same level of "affecting the QB" as this past season?

Do you want to bet the season on Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa taking a step?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll enthusiastically make that bet on Rousseau, currently a man-child who's huge frame can fit a lot more muscle and still has much to learn.

I am also willing to make that bet with Basham, although cautiously.

I am rooting for Epenesa, but not willing to bet. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not an unreasonable possibility that Rousseau and Basham might see big jumps.  Phillips was not "all that" in the early part of the season after he recovered from ACL surgery, and he had his injury earlier in the season.  Both Philips and Zimmer have been down with injuries - Zimmer this season, Phillips lost most of one season, was hindered the next, and was hindered by a different ligament injury at the start of this season.

So let me ask it a different way.  Last year, Beane made a strong case that "we need to affect the QB more".  Is it a reasonable EXPECTATION that by going with Zimmer off injury, Oliver, Phillips (oft injured), and Lotulelei (who Beane indicated fell off the last part of the season, which he attributed to Covid) at DT and Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham and a lower-tier FA or 2 at DE - but losing Hughes, Epenesa, Butler, and Obada - we will continue to at least maintain the same level of "affecting the QB" as this past season?

My sense is that the Bills need to learn to live with what they have on defense and throw everything at the offense.  This is what the Chiefs have done and they're going to a 4th straight AFC Championship game.

If the right defensive player is available in free agency and/or the draft, grab them. But the focus should be on the offense. This must become an Allen centric team in the way that the Chiefs are a Mahomes centric team.  Even after last season there were lingering doubts whether Allen could duplicate his success and whether he could rise to the top in the crucible of the playoffs.  He has demonstrated beyond a shadow of doubt that he can do both so now is the time to go all in on Allen.

This means adding a RB, preferably a bruiser, to the backfield; adding a 2nd TE that can block & catch; adding speed and/or size to the WR group and if available further improve the O-line. And I don't think we need to make a big splash in any of these positions. Just bring in solid guys who are an upgrade to what we have. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I think our DL is fine. Rousseau and Boogie will take a step forward next year. If anyone, add someone who excels at stopping the run. Outside of that, we need a blue chip CB besides White. Someone with great tackling technique once Edmonds whiffs. Go DB round 1. 

I hate assuming guys will automatically get better. It just doesn’t always happen. I’m sure people thought Epenesa would settle into his new weight and come into the season with an increased role and productivity.

• Agree 1

A general comment: yes, there is going to be some turnover on D, but the Bills defense was very, very good this season. And yes, they beat up on some bad teams, but all good teams beat up on bad teams. And their schedule wasn't inordinately easy either - of their 17 games, they played 9 teams with winning records. I mean, every good defense had some defensive clunkers this season. The Colts were torched by JACKSONVILLE in a must-win game. The Steelers were torched by Mahomes twice in a couple of weeks. The Broncos - which have an excellent D - were torched by Vegas, Pitt, and Philly.  The Rams were torched multiple times (GB, AZ, SF). TB was torched by numerous teams too. The second ranked defense, the Pats, actually played a playoff game in which their opponent scored a TD on every drive!

I could go on. Sometimes I think that people here don't actually watch other teams.  

Anyway, the Bills are in a good position on D and I'd be happy if Frazier remains. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.