Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The questions about the DL was, IMHO, one of the more interesting parts of the press conference. 

Beane was asked, considering the resources that have been put into the DL and the pass rush essentially did he feel that he'd gotten a good ROI?

He pretty much said "not really".  Said "some games and not others"; said consistently not as much as he wanted.  Then said he'll always put resources into DL because he believes in building up front.

I would have loved to hear some follow-up questions about if you put so many resources into it and didn't get the return you expected, how will you change that?

Also, did anyone hear any questions about AJ Epenesa?  I would have loved to hear some questions about him.

It appeared to me that Beane didn't feel the D line played to the level he had anticipated. I wouldn't say I got the impression that he was disappointed, just that he expected more. He is big on always addressing the lines on both sides of the ball and I expect an offseason focus on both.

There wasn't one question on Epenesa and he never mentioned him. I did get the impression he is still high on Oliver and Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Obviously you have to get it right… but suggesting it doesn’t work is false. Chiefs and Rams being prime examples. Hell the Rams have sacrificed their draft to be where they are right now…. Rather McBeane be a little risky and bring home a SB then consistently “stay the course” and consistently fail. 

I think you misinterpreted what he said.  All @Bob Chandler's Hands was pointing out, for 2022, KC has only 38 players under contract and the Bills have 53.  The cap is based on the highest paid 51 players, so until KC signs another 13 players, you can't compare their projected cap space for 2022.  I don't believe he was talking strategy of signing, only making a valid comparison.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can see how the board will be commenting through the off season with this one thread.

I will just ask one question.

The Bills DL personnel as of now.

DT:

Star

Ed Oliver

Phillips - UFA who needs to be signed (I guess that encompasses work by Beane)

DE:

Rousseau

Epenesa

Basham

Bryant

Love

Beane says he has to do some work on the DL and posters say, "why"?  It's pretty obvious that he does.

Imagine what the above roster looks like without last year's DL picks?

KC is #1 in the NFL in 2022 on DL cap spending.  FWIW

If Star retires or is cut the Bills will be about the lowest.

Edited by ColoradoBills

32 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Technically correct but completely misleading.

Buffalo's Top 51 cap space is $2.8M with 53 players under contract. 

Whereas KC's Top 51 cap space is $21.2M with only 38 players under contract.  So to compare the two situations you'd need to add 13 more players to the Chiefs roster at $1.4M per player to make it equivalent. That's a whole bunch of replacement level free agents with a few decent FA's mixed in. Probably not 13 players better than the Bills bottom 13 already on the roster. 

Technically you’re correct but that’s misleading. Your original post was along the lines of “spent a $100M on a handful of starters and get shredded by Josh”. OK. Sure. They won. And they were one of the very best defenses in the league through the back half of the season.

We have $2M in space and 53 on the roster after signing a million players to futures.  But we’re talking about how to get a new starting CB, DT, DE, LB, OG and slot receiver with that money. We might lose our starting center to retirement or cap causalty. While totally unsure if we can keep some of our top DE, DT, CB, and slot wide receivers. Meanwhile KC has more space and is pretty locked in at their starting front 7, OL, WR, and TE. 

KC seems like they are in a spot to sign a lot of depth players for cheap, because that’s where most of their needs are. Buffalo is trying upgrade like 7 starting positions with $2M. 

Edited by Mango
  • Eyeroll 1

Call me dumb but who cares what Bean or McD say a couple days after a painful playoff exit.  There will be nothing of substance said and they are as likley to spend like drunken sailors for the right players as they are to sit back and wait for the draft. 

Speaking of the draft don't we get a free middle round pick for losing our assistant GM? And if Daboll and/or Frazier leave won't we be getting more picks? My point is that we may end up with 10 - 12 picks in the upcoming draft.  And this also impacts our FA signings.

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

consistently fail

LOL -- make the playoffs every year with a shot to get to the SB.  That's my kind of consistent failure.  Do you ever read what you type before you hit "submit reply?"

Beane knows how to manage the cap and isn't going to hamstring the Bills.  Jesus.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Ask the Patriots how much spending big on free agency did for them this year.

More often then not spending big in free agency does not work out. 

Who?

Oh, yeah - I forgot about them.  I remember they used to win the division a ways back, now that I think about it.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It appeared to me that Beane didn't feel the D line played to the level he had anticipated. I wouldn't say I got the impression that he was disappointed, just that he expected more. He is big on always addressing the lines on both sides of the ball and I expect an offseason focus on both.

There wasn't one question on Epenesa and he never mentioned him. I did get the impression he is still high on Oliver and Edmunds.

Thanks

I also didn't catch it, did he say anything about Harry (Phillips) that I might have missed?

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

KC seems like they are in a spot to sign a lot of depth players for cheap, because that’s where most of their needs are. Buffalo is trying upgrade like 7 starting positions with $2M. 

It is a challenge and we don't know what Beane will do.

Last year KC went on a huge restructuring run.  Maybe Beane will do some of that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, appoo said:

So Joe Bus made a big deal out of the lack pass of pass rush on that Hill TD - a play where neither AJE nor GR won their battles. That's where a GM earns his money. Does he look at that play and think - well a DE means Mahomes doesn't get off an easy pass, or does he think - a better corner means Hill isn't quite so open

I’m with you Appoo.  Joe B is a really astute reporter. One of the most perceptive in the business. 

Bills need edge and CB. In the 1st half, Bills DL was so close to Mahimes numerous times. They just needed a DE who was a tiny bit quicker in pursuit. In the 2nd half, DE were tired and didn’t get nearly as close to Mahoney. 

I like Jaquan Brisker as well, but think he’s a luxury the Bills can’t afford right now.

Edge rusher who might be available close to Bills draft position is David Ojabo. He has a different skill set than any of the current Bills DE. 

the other need for Bills is a speed WR. Bills offense as currently constructed is terrific.  But it is so heavily dependent on Josh to make the big play. A speed receiver could lessen the dependence on Josh to do everything. 

Jahan Dotson would be a great fit. Fast, smooth routes, exceptional ball skills. His size (5.11) might push him into the 2nd round. Would be a bargain for the Bills there. 

Isn't it true that if we had won the Jax or Pittsburgh games, we'd have been playing KC in Buffalo instead?  Just that shift in venue could have given us the tiny edge we needed.  We are so close to KC, I don't think it would be wise to over-react and start ditching coaches or tearing up the roster.   With that said, last year prior to the Super Bowl most were saying no one could slow down KC's offense.  Then the Bucs did with a great defense.  They seemed to have an answer for Kelce in particular.  Why can't we get there?  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Isn't it true that if we had won the Jax or Pittsburgh games, we'd have been playing KC in Buffalo instead?  Just that shift in venue could have given us the tiny edge we needed.  We are so close to KC, I don't think it would be wise to over-react and start ditching coaches or tearing up the roster.   With that said, last year prior to the Super Bowl most were saying no one could slow down KC's offense.  Then the Bucs did with a great defense.  They seemed to have an answer for Kelce in particular.  Why can't we get there?  

Tearing it all down is engrained in a lot of fans minds.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Agree 100%.

In 2020 the Bills lost to the Chiefs 26 - 17 in Buffalo and 38 - 24 in KC.

In 2021 the Bills beat the Chiefs 38 - 20 in KC and lost in OT 42 - 36 in KC.

We are virtually dead even with them. Win the games in the regular season we should win and hold the game in Rich stadium and we advance and they go home.

I would also note that Allen has caught up to and blown by the Chiefs:

In 2020 Allen's stats were:  42/75 for 409 yards; 4 TD/2 INT; 15 carries for 130 yards

In 2021 Allen's stats were:  42/63 for 644 yards; 7 TD/0 INT; 22 carries for 127 yards & 1 TD

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

LOL -- make the playoffs every year with a shot to get to the SB.  That's my kind of consistent failure.  Do you ever read what you type before you hit "submit reply?"

Beane knows how to manage the cap and isn't going to hamstring the Bills.  Jesus.

Scott bases Bills FA on names he knows.

He said the Dolphins and Jets were loaded at WR before this season….

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll chalk that up to an emotional week. 

Bringing back the same team doesn’t work. Tried that this year and it didn’t work out. Tampa tried it too and failed. You have to make some changes in the NFL and evolve. You can’t just bring back an almost entirely same roster and expect different results. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, MWK said:

Bringing back the same team doesn’t work. Tried that this year and it didn’t work out. Tampa tried it too and failed. You have to make some changes in the NFL and evolve. You can’t just bring back an almost entirely same roster and expect different results. 

I was responding about the people who want to rebuild, not make changes. No team is exactly the same year to year. Rebuilding is a tear down. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.