Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I loathe press questions that start with a speech.  I've never seen them be effective either.

Why not just start with the last sentence?  "How do you evaluate what happened in the last 2 minutes of the Chiefs game, and what has to be done to maintain the good there, but fix the problems and change the outcome next year?"

Fair enough, perhaps some of that context should be in follow-up if he's trying to swat the question away as McD did yesterday.  I really didn't like how it was handled given the context described.  I need a more serious answer that shows they get it.  

NFL careers are fleeting and they just booted a whole season's effort.  If a player had done that it might have cost them on getting re-signed, $$ on their next signing or a decision that "we need to move on and improve at that position".  If Allen had choked that way, everyone would be questioning whether he was worth $40m/yr.  Look at the reviews on Dak Prescott from the previous week after his screw-up, who is the only other member of $40m club.

Edited by cage
  • Agree 1

Most sane Bills fans like McDermott, but this was a Norwood level choke job by the coaches.  I think we’re all still in shock by what happened in those 13 seconds.  You don’t know if you’re ever gonna get that opportunity again.  If I were a betting man, I’d say McDermott like Norwood gets 1 more year, but if he doesn’t make the Super Bowl he’s gone.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Most sane Bills fans like McDermott, but this was a Norwood level choke job by the coaches.  I think we’re all still in shock by what happened in those 13 seconds.  You don’t know if you’re ever gonna get that opportunity again.  If I were a betting man, I’d say McDermott like Norwood gets 1 more year, but if he doesn’t make the Super Bowl he’s gone.  

I definitely do not think it's Super Bowl or Bust for McDermott.  

I can envision scenarios where he could get fired next year, but for simply not making the Super Bowl isn't one of them.  

I do think this game has affected his short term legacy around league circles.  He was though of as, not an elite tier coach, but in the next tier below that as a young up and comer.  He now has to overcome the dreaded choker label.  I still believe most view him as a good coach, but he's taken a hit - for the short term, at least.  He can also certainly repair that image.

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Norwood didn't choke.  He missed a kick that he didn't normally make.  He was a very accurate kicker on short-range kicks, but to kick from 47-48 yards out (which in those days was a long FG - it's a more routine distance these days), from the right hash, on grass - not to mention the pressure of the situation - is not a kick Norwood would typically make.  Yes, he could have risen to the occassion and didn't, but it wasn't a choke.  Sunday's final 13 seconds was a true choke.  Effectively keeping a team out of FG range in 13 seconds, including a kickoff, is something that a team would normally be able to do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Can't wait for him to tell us they need to get faster, and then draft and bring in slow players.  Heard the same speed comment last year.

I don’t know how JOK did in Cleveland this year so I may be making this comment with egg on my face, but because he brought so much speed and quickness from the LB position (and could affect the QB), I was hoping he’d be our first round pick, not Rousseau. 

54 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm assuming that nobody is actually stupid enough to think that we need a new HC.  If that's your fix, I'm glad you're not in a position to make any decisions for this franchise.

IDK McDermott could be the new Dungy. Think of all the Super Bowls Colts & Manning would have if he was a better coach, especially in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You're not going to get much from Beane today other than he and the Pegulas are committed to bringing a Super Bowl trophy to Buffalo.

Yea this is kinda pointless. I'd rather they call in McDermott,  Farwell and Bass for a little presser chit chat. Now that would be compelling. 

13 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Beane will very busy in the off-season. This year it was coaching blunders at the end. I think the pieces are there. Do some of players second guess the coaches now in crucial times

Oh hell yes. If you can't stay composed after Josh just wins you the game and come up with an intelligent strategy for 13 seconds,  than who can I trust?

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Why do you think Belichick went in the locker room to talk to him?

Maybe we can get Bill to come here. I would love that. We would definitely win a Super Bowl with Bill as our coach. Oh well back to reality.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I like McDermott but I really have no idea how that locker room trusts him in big situations going forward.  

Have you spent any time at all watching and listening to players and the coaching staff of this team over the last couple of years?

Serious question.

If you have, then you have absolutely no ability whatsoever to evaluate the people on this team and their relationships.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Have you spent any time at all watching and listening to players and the coaching staff of this team over the last couple of years?

Serious question.

If you have, then you have absolutely no ability whatsoever to evaluate the people on this team and their relationships.

I think it's an understandable question.  

If you're entire mantra is to "trust the process" and everyone has (to McDermott's credit).  But then the process works, you are on the precipice of the process playing out, and then the leaders who have preached said process are the ones who let everyone down, it's hard to not think some players may tune out the rah-rah stuff in the future. 

Now, I do think the players respect McDermott.  I don't think they will tune him out.  But I would hope that even he realizes the messaging might need to be a little different moving forward.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Serious question.

Serious question… have you ever played a competitive sport?  

If you have you would know trust is everything.  Now imagine all the blood, sweat, and tears these guys put in all year to get to the mountaintop.  Now replay those 13 seconds in your head over and over and over again.  

Sorry, you play to win the game.  Relationships only go so far if you think coaching is why you ain’t still playing.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think it's an understandable question.  

If you're entire mantra is to "trust the process" and everyone has (to McDermott's credit).  But then the process works, you are on the precipice of the process playing out, and then the leaders who have preached said process are the ones who let everyone down, it's hard to not think some players may tune out the rah-rah stuff in the future. 

Now, I do think the players respect McDermott.  I don't think they will tune him out.  But I would hope that even he realizes the messaging might need to be a little different moving forward.  

No. it's not. If you think the players don't trust the process or McDermott after what happened, then I really don't know what to tell you.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Serious question… have you ever played a competitive sport?  

If you have you would know trust is everything.  Now imagine all the blood, sweat, and tears these guys put in all year to get to the mountaintop.  Now replay those 13 seconds in your head over and over and over again.  

Sorry, you play to win the game.  Relationships only go so far if you think coaching is why you ain’t still playing.  

Yes, in high school: football, baseball, and wrestling (state qualifer 4 straight years). Irrelevant.

As I said in a previous post, If you think the players don't trust the process or McDermott after what happened, then I really don't know what to tell you.

That's a "you" thing and has no foothold in reality.

Edited by billsfan1959

1 hour ago, cage said:

Fair enough, perhaps some of that context should be in follow-up if he's trying to swat the question away as McD did yesterday.  I really didn't like how it was handled given the context described.  I need a more serious answer that shows they get it.  

NFL careers are fleeting and they just booted a whole season's effort.  If a player had done that it might have cost them on getting re-signed, $$ on their next signing or a decision that "we need to move on and improve at that position".  If Allen had choked that way, everyone would be questioning whether he was worth $40m/yr.  Look at the reviews on Dak Prescott from the previous week after his screw-up, who is the only other member of $40m club.

You can't even get simple facts right. Can we fire you from the board? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cage said:

Is that something that is teachable... by now?  Parcels, Reid, Payton, Belichick constantly outfoxed other teams to pull out games like this.  

It took Reid and Payton a long, long time (and future HOF QBing) to succeed consistently in the playoffs

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I smell a mutiny coming. I bet Josh asks to be traded to New England. 

But @PatsFanNH said that BB doesnt want a QB like Allen 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.