Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are welcome to your opinion and you certainly have the right to express it. You also have the right to be angry. My point was that you don't seem very open. You seem angry, and, like I said, that is fine, but anger doesn't lend itself to openess or well thought out decisions.

The opinion that I expressed was in response to some else posting "there's nothing to "fix"".  Just giving a couple examples that jump out at me.  I didn't push an opinion in the initial post.

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

IDK about that Beane is definitely more open and forthcoming than most GM’s.  More than McDermott too.  

The big question we have to ask is about re-signing Tremaine Edmunds and Ed Oliver.  

Also the failures to develop most of the talent they drafted on the D-line the past two seasons.

There’s a lot of questions regarding some FA’s and improvements on the roster they’ll need to make in 2022.  

Its not the time for answers. You'll get GM speak about doing whatever they can to win a Super Bowl.

He'll probably say they want to re-sign their own.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I think people are under-estimating the effect the coaching blunders in those 13 seconds are gonna have going forward if no changes to the coaching staff are made.  We had the team to win it all.  The fact that it was both Special Teams and Defensive coaching blunders means you can’t just get rid of Frazier or the ST coach.  

I like McDermott but I really have no idea how that locker room trusts him in big situations going forward.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think people are under-estimating the effect the coaching blunders in those 13 seconds are gonna have going forward if no changes to the coaching staff are made.  We had the team to win it all.  The fact that it was both Special Teams and Defensive coaching blunders means you can’t just get rid of Frazier or the ST coach.  

I like McDermott but I really have no idea how that locker room trusts him in big situations going forward.  

I smell a mutiny coming. I bet Josh asks to be traded to New England. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You're not going to get much from Beane today other than he and the Pegulas are committed to bringing a Super Bowl trophy to Buffalo.

committed, LOL.  Bean did nothing in the offseason to bring in an impact player, and did nothing at the trade deadline.  Von Miller is looking good for LA.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Its a serious point.  Guys like Morse, Hyde, Poyer, Diggs are at the peak of their prime.  Not sure if guys like Hughes, Addison, Beasley will be back, but teams only have so many chances....

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

And each of them have been outfoxed to lose games like this

You're right.  If you watch a lot of football on a weekly basis either via the Sunday Ticket or some other means you'll see coaches and their teams blow games with incorrect and poor decisions or bad play on the field at critical times.  The trick is to be right more often than you are wrong. 

The agonizing problem with the Bills is this screw up happened on the big stage.  In a situation were 99.6% of the game was over.  Where the odds of losing and messing up were close to zero.  Where you maybe gifted the opposition offense the only possible defensive alignment and strategy that could allow them to set up themselves to get the game even.  Where you had to do something almost every observer of the game assessed was wrong in real-time not just on one play but three plays, including the kick off.  And spend two time outs while changing nothing on either play.  And then state it was "execution"!  I'd argue the players did exactly what they should have provided a flawed strategy that destined them to fail.  Can you learn from this and what's the lesson? 

I'm dead set against firing McDermott because he brings a lot of positive qualities and leadership to the position.  I think the answer is bring in another DC to implement his system or if he doesn't have it already, allow Frazier more autonomy to make the calls.  And maybe if this was some random regular season game it would be discussed for a couple days and forgotten. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, cage said:

Further two of the three teams that are left made consequential moves before trade deadline to help give themselves and extra push.  Rams brought in OBJ and Von Miller.  Chiefs brought in Melvin Ingram.  All have made a difference in the playoffs

Just imagine if Edmunds made one or two big-time plays during the KC game.  They need a game changing player on defense - they have alot of good to very good players, but nobody elite or at a star level.  The offense did all they could that game, the defense let them down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

There is nothing to "fix."  If we could somehow bring back the exact same roster next year and alter the rules of time so that nobody gets any older and nobody is any more injured than they were on Sunday, I'd happily take my chances against KC again.  They were quite clearly a somewhat better team than us last year.  They are not a better team than us now.  The Bills and Chiefs are the two best teams in the league.  We're not going to bat 1.000 against other elite teams and not realistic to expect us to.  Beane has succeeded in building a championship roster. 

Of course, we won't be able to bring back the exact same roster.  We're probably going to be in the market for at least one and maybe two WRs.  We'll probably see some turnover on the D-line.  I still think we should add more talent/depth at CB and I would like to take a long hard look at RBs who might be available in FA or the draft.  

But we're just talking about tweaking things around the margins, replacing a small number of not-especially-irreplaceable FAs, and maybe upgrading a few spots where we're getting a little old.  The core of this team is set.  

Never mentioned coaching in that post. Why would you think that defense which allowed KC to score at will on every drive from the middle of the 4th qtr through OT would set us up to win anything. Our approach never changed, rushing 4 and giving free releases to Hill and Kelce, throughout the game. Our record against good offensive teams(Tampa, Tenn, Indy), was o and 3 with defense giving up 30+. Frazier and Sean are bend don't break proponents, and inflexible when defensive game plans don't work. We don't pressure big time QBs enough with our front four and they carve us up. If Sean doesn't change philosophy,we are counting on Josh to be Superman every game. Not a great formula. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Never mentioned coaching in that post. Why would you think that defense which allowed KC to score at will on every drive from the middle of the 4th qtr through OT would set us up to win anything. Our approach never changed, rushing 4 and giving free releases to Hill and Kelce, throughout the game. Our record against good offensive teams(Tampa, Tenn, Indy), was o and 3 with defense giving up 30+. Frazier and Sean are bend don't break proponents, and inflexible when defensive game plans don't work. We don't pressure big time QBs enough with our front four and they carve us up. If Sean doesn't change philosophy,we are counting on Josh to be Superman every game. Not a great formula. 

I'm assuming that nobody is actually stupid enough to think that we need a new HC.  If that's your fix, I'm glad you're not in a position to make any decisions for this franchise.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, cage said:

I think we need a new Defensive Coordinator and own up to the failings of in-game strategy.  There's lots of examples all season (and last) related to issues in these two areas

Frazier didn't have a good game this time against the Chiefs. 

Every coach and player on the team had at least one bad game this season.  Do you want to get rid of Allen for his poor performance against the Jags?

Frazier led the #1 defense in the NFL.   Who do you want to replace him with?  The #10 guy?  The #20 guy?   The unproven DL coach?   Who?

30 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Because HOF coaches like Bill Belichick always, always win big games.

Like against the Bills in the playoffs this year.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cage said:

I hope that reporters are preparing their questions.  Do not just ask "What happened in the last 13 seconds".  Set the context:

Brandon, the QB that you drafted, that fans have been waiting 25 years for and you signed to a $40m+ per year extension just lived up to everyones imagination and put on an all-world performance.  You got knocked from the playoffs for the 2nd straight year to the same team who may be headed to its 3rd straight SB.  The manner of the loss will live in infamy in the team's history right there with the worst losses we've absorbed.  You would have been the Super Bowl favorite from among the four teams left.  How do you evaluate what exactly happened and what has to change to fix it when you start all over again next year?

I loathe press questions that start with a speech.  I've never seen them be effective either.

Why not just start with the last sentence?  "How do you evaluate what happened in the last 2 minutes of the Chiefs game, and what has to be done to maintain the good there, but fix the problems and change the outcome next year?"

16 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

Just imagine if Edmunds made one or two big-time plays during the KC game.  They need a game changing player on defense - they have alot of good to very good players, but nobody elite or at a star level.  The offense did all they could that game, the defense let them down.

They have a star, elite level player.  He's currently rehabbing his ACL.

They do need an elite level player in the front 4.

1 hour ago, cage said:

I think we need a new Defensive Coordinator and own up to the failings of in-game strategy.  There's lots of examples all season (and last) related to issues in these two areas

You do know that

1) you started a thread to talk about Beane's presser

2) I don't think Beane directs the hiring and firing of coaching assistants on McDermott's staff

3) there are already multiple threads discussing the opinion that we need a new DC - and you could discuss this viewpoint there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Can't wait for him to tell us they need to get faster, and then draft and bring in slow players.  Heard the same speed comment last year.

Was Tampa’s team anymore faster than the Bills team. That SB game came down to schemes, offensively and defensively. Bruce Arians and staff was better than Andy Reid and staff, period..point blank 

8 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm assuming that nobody is actually stupid enough to think that we need a new HC.  If that's your fix, I'm glad you're not in a position to make any decisions for this franchise.

I don’t think the answer is to fire McDermott, but I don’t think it’s stupid to consider given how badly the coaching staff choked in those 13 seconds.   

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

Just imagine if Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, Groot, Boogie, Milano, Hyde or Poyer made one or two big-time plays during the KC game.

Imagine if one of our CBs would have knocked ONE of Mahomes passes away. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here's the Bills picks in the 2022 draft in order of pick = CB - WR - RB - OL - OL - CB/S - DL - RB - P.  - Bills re-sign -  Bates - Obada  - Phillips - Neal - McKenzie...  The Bills dump loser Lotulelie  and sign free agent DT Larry Ogunjobi as replacement. Bills trade Beasley to Giants for 5th round pick.  In 2022 the Bills win the AFC East, Lose to Baltimore in the divisional round. Ravens win SB... Bills win SB in 2023 beating the 49ers. ... Your welcome. Look at all the free time I have created for everyone. Enjoy your spring and summer.        

9 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Who said anything about a new coach SDfan boy. I said the defensive coaching schemes(Frazier's baby, withSean's approval)didn't work. You watched the games I mentioned right. Sean's not going anywhere, but without edge rushers who can actually have an affect on the passing game, we can't expect different results from this approach. 

33 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

To your point, ditto on Titans and Colts game.  We couldn't stop either team once they got rolling

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You're right.  If you watch a lot of football on a weekly basis either via the Sunday Ticket or some other means you'll see coaches and their teams blow games with incorrect and poor decisions or bad play on the field at critical times.  The trick is to be right more often than you are wrong. 

The agonizing problem with the Bills is this screw up happened on the big stage.  In a situation were 99.6% of the game was over.  Where the odds of losing and messing up were close to zero.  Where you maybe gifted the opposition offense the only possible defensive alignment and strategy that could allow them to set up themselves to get the game even.  Where you had to do something almost every observer of the game assessed was wrong in real-time not just on one play but three plays, including the kick off.  And spend two time outs while changing nothing on either play.  And then state it was "execution"!  I'd argue the players did exactly what they should have provided a flawed strategy that destined them to fail.  Can you learn from this and what's the lesson? 

I'm dead set against fired McDermott because he brings a lot of positive qualities and leadership to the position.  I think the answer is bring in another DC to implement his system or if he doesn't have it already, allow Frazier more autonomy to make the calls.  And maybe if this was some random regular season game it would be discussed for a couple days and forgotten. 

You admit to something like this happening even to the best coaches and then you go on to say, essentially, the main thing is to be right more often than being wrong. But then, the remainder, and the entirety, of your argument is about a one time incident - there is nothing about whether McDermott or Frazier are right more than they are wrong.

Look, I get it. The bad calls by coaches and bad execution on the field (and yes there were both in the last few minutes of that game) came at the worst possible time. But I think it is exactly that timing, more than anything else that is driving the emotional responses.

Some might argue that a one time incident in a situation like this should carry more weight than if it had happened in a less important game - that you should expect the best to rise to the challenge in the most critical moments.  I won't dismiss it as a valid argumant, or a valid expectation to have. But, I think it is an equally valid argument to say that because somebody failed in a critical moment, for whatever reason, that he or she incapable of excelling in the next critical moment. I have no problem in people being held accountable. I do have a problem with that accountability being viewed and handled through the lens of emotions.

I just feel we seem to be in a time of unrestrained emotion, lack of tolerance for mistakes or anything that makes us feel any sort of negative emotion, and the need to make people pay dearly for those mistakes or whatever they did to make us feel bad.

IMO, this front office and coaching staff have gotten it right more often than not. They have also shown me that they are willing to be accountable and wiling to learn. They have done more to earn my trust, at this moment, that they will continue to get better, than not.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.