Brandon Beane Season Ending Presser Weds 1/27

cage

I hope that reporters are preparing their questions.  Do not just ask "What happened in the last 13 seconds".  Set the context:

Brandon, the QB that you drafted, that fans have been waiting 25 years for and you signed to a $40m+ per year extension just lived up to everyones imagination and put on an all-world performance.  You got knocked from the playoffs for the 2nd straight year to the same team who may be headed to its 3rd straight SB.  The manner of the loss will live in infamy in the team's history right there with the worst losses we've absorbed.  You would have been the Super Bowl favorite from among the four teams left.  How do you evaluate what exactly happened and what has to change to fix it when you start all over again next year?

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

There is nothing to "fix."  If we could somehow bring back the exact same roster next year and alter the rules of time so that nobody gets any older and nobody is any more injured than they were on Sunday, I'd happily take my chances against KC again.  They were quite clearly a somewhat better team than us last year.  They are not a better team than us now.  The Bills and Chiefs are the two best teams in the league.  We're not going to bat 1.000 against other elite teams and not realistic to expect us to.  Beane has succeeded in building a championship roster. 

Of course, we won't be able to bring back the exact same roster.  We're probably going to be in the market for at least one and maybe two WRs.  We'll probably see some turnover on the D-line.  I still think we should add more talent/depth at CB and I would like to take a long hard look at RBs who might be available in FA or the draft.  

But we're just talking about tweaking things around the margins, replacing a small number of not-especially-irreplaceable FAs, and maybe upgrading a few spots where we're getting a little old.  The core of this team is set.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 7
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

There is nothing to "fix."  If we could somehow bring back the exact same roster next year and alter the rules of time so that nobody gets any older and nobody is any more injured than they were on Sunday, I'd happily take my chances against KC again.  They were quite clearly a somewhat better team than us last year.  They are not a better team than us now.  The Bills and Chiefs are the two best teams in the league.  We're not going to bat 1.000 against other elite teams and not realistic to expect us to.  Beane has succeeded in building a championship roster. 

Of course, we won't be able to bring back the exact same roster.  We're probably going to be in the market for at least one and maybe two WRs.  We'll probably see some turnover on the D-line.  I still think we should add more talent/depth at CB and I would like to take a long hard look at RBs who might be available in FA or the draft.  

But we're just talking about tweaking things around the margins, replacing a small number of not-especially-irreplaceable FAs, and maybe upgrading a few spots where we're getting a little old.  The core of this team is set.  

I think we need a new Defensive Coordinator and own up to the failings of in-game strategy.  There's lots of examples all season (and last) related to issues in these two areas

Edited by cage
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Further two of the three teams that are left made consequential moves before trade deadline to help give themselves and extra push.  Rams brought in OBJ and Von Miller.  Chiefs brought in Melvin Ingram.  All have made a difference in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here’s the problem…and it’s unfortunately a very challenging one for any GM to fix:

His head coach, while good at so many things, is horrible at late game management. 

Everyone wants to know what the players are doing in the offseason? I want to know if McD is spending the spring studying in-game management strategy scenarios. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Kind of unanimous from the national media that the coaching staff let the team down in those 13 seconds.  Is it fair to the players to bring back a coaching staff that now has a label of choking in the biggest moments?  

And its not just those 13 seconds.  The loss to Jaguars is the reason that last week's game wasn't in Buffalo.  Totally unprepared for Colts.  They allowed Patriots to manufacture a win on MNF game where one of the issues was strictly sticking to deferring on kick-off instead of focusing on the wind in Q4.

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, cage said:

How do you evaluate what exactly happened and what has to change to fix it when you start all over again next year?

20 minutes ago, cage said:

I think we need a new Defensive Coordinator and own up to the failings of in-game strategy.

So, you want Bean to give you an explanation of how to evaluate what happened and what has to change so it doesn'r happen again; however you admit to already having done the evaluation in your mind and arrived at the solution is the DC has to be fired?

Give this, do you really feel you are open to anything Beane has to change? Or are you just still angry and needing somebody to pay for making you feel that way? 

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You're not going to get much from Beane today other than he and the Pegulas are committed to bringing a Super Bowl trophy to Buffalo.

IDK about that Beane is definitely more open and forthcoming than most GM’s.  More than McDermott too.  

The big question we have to ask is about re-signing Tremaine Edmunds and Ed Oliver.  

Also the failures to develop most of the talent they drafted on the D-line the past two seasons.

There’s a lot of questions regarding some FA’s and improvements on the roster they’ll need to make in 2022.  

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s the problem…and it’s unfortunately a very challenging one for any GM to fix:

His head coach, while good at so many things, is horrible at late game management. 

Everyone wants to know what the players are doing in the offseason? I want to know if McD is spending the spring studying in-game management strategy scenarios. 

Is that something that is teachable... by now?  Parcels, Reid, Payton, Belichick constantly outfoxed other teams to pull out games like this.  

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, you want Bean to give you an explanation of how to evaluate what happened and what has to change so it doesn'r happen again; however you admit to already having done the evaluation in your mind and arrived at the solution is the DC has to be fired?

Give this, do you really feel you are open to anything Beane has to change? Or are you just still angry and needing somebody to pay for making you feel that way? 

I'm just giving my opinion.  I'm happy to hear his.  He knows tons more about football than I do.  I'm angry about McD's "execution problems and I'll leave it at that", which simply an unacceptable answer under the circumstances I laid out at the start of this thread.

1 minute ago, cage said:

Is that something that is teachable... by now?  Parcels, Reid, Payton, Belichick constantly outfoxed other teams to pull out games like this.  

Never having been a coach I can’t really say, but just like anything else it’s something they can work on if they first recognize and admit they have a problem. The obvious solution is to get him some help making these decisions. I’m not sure how they make them now.

3 minutes ago, cage said:

I'm just giving my opinion.  I'm happy to hear his.  He knows tons more about football than I do.  I'm angry about McD's "execution problems and I'll leave it at that", which simply an unacceptable answer under the circumstances I laid out at the start of this thread.

You are welcome to your opinion and you certainly have the right to express it. You also have the right to be angry. My point was that you don't seem very open. You seem angry, and, like I said, that is fine, but anger doesn't lend itself to openess or well thought out decisions.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, cage said:

It’s not.  There’s so many things that happen in a game that you can’t specifically prepare for.  I think we’ve seen enough in the last 5 years to know that McDermott is a conservative, reactionary coach.  Would he have had the stones to call an onside kick like Sean Payton did to win a Super Bowl?  The great coaches know when to zig when everybody thinks you’re gonna zag.  McDermott has shown he is excellent at everything except reading what’s happening in the moment.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.