Comparisons to '87, '88 and '89 are interesting

ProcessTruster

I don’t find these types of comparisons interesting or relevant at all. It’s living in the past, and the league is different now. There’s also not a predictable trajectory of a team that indicates future outcomes. An opportunity lost is just lost, and absolutely nothing that put the Bills in that spot ( chance to host AFC title game, few injuries , elite QBs out of the playoffs , #1 seeds losing etc) is guaranteed in 2022. They’re starting all over again and may never get as good a look at a Super Bow berth. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Davis & Knox sure look like they could get there.

Poyer's not Elite?  Hyde?  Milano?

This was Spencer Brown's first year at RT and he's a physical specimen.

Poyer and Hyde are both in 30's Please show me the big plays Milano has made in the playoffs and against the Chiefs.  ZERO... 

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Those players became HOF players after great careers and 4 straight Super Bowls.

• Eyeroll 1

Folks, what happened in the past to this franchise has absolutely nothing to do with what may or may not happen in the future.

And you are injecting a lot of bias into your analysis anyway, as you search for similarities in your comparison.

You could equally present a line of facts showing how the old SB Bills and the current team are absolutely nothing alike.

I mean, why not start a thread discussing how and why the Earth is flat?

It's about as relevant.

And lastly, GET OFF MY LAWN! 

✌️

33 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Poyer and Hyde are both in 30's Please show me the big plays Milano has made in the playoffs and against the Chiefs.  ZERO... 

Agree about individual players. 

Elite: Allen, Diggs, Tre

Very Very good: Hyde, Poyer, Milano

Good to very good: Ed, Tremaine, Dawkins, Morse, Knox

Then a plethora of good players.  

However, I'd grade less by individual and more by player groupings or what teams need to scheme against.

Elite: Passing game, Def Backs

Very very good: Off Weapons, S/T

Good to very good: OL (down the stretch)

We lack a consistent pass rush, and are not a physical defense.  Those are 2 traits that typically lead to success, but we've relied on our elite secondary.  Our defensive numbers are inflated by a few factors: playing poor offenses/backup QBs, weather impacts, and our offenses ability to maintain drives and keep our defense off the field.

Going into next year, it's clear we have to improve our pass rush.  Not easy to find Elite talent.  But it is easier to become a more physical defense, more of those players available and scheme will dictate too.  Big reason I think we need to move on from Frazier, and try a different approach. Hopefully front office is honestly assessing this and can make the tough decisions needed.

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Agree about individual players. 

Elite: Allen, Diggs, Tre

Very Very good: Hyde, Poyer, Milano

Good to very good: Ed, Tremaine, Dawkins, Morse, Knox

Then a plethora of good players.  

However, I'd grade less by individual and more by player groupings or what teams need to scheme against.

Elite: Passing game, Def Backs

Very very good: Off Weapons, S/T

Good to very good: OL (down the stretch)

We lack a consistent pass rush, and are not a physical defense.  Those are 2 traits that typically lead to success, but we've relied on our elite secondary.  Our defensive numbers are inflated by a few factors: playing poor offenses/backup QBs, weather impacts, and our offenses ability to maintain drives and keep our defense off the field.

Going into next year, it's clear we have to improve our pass rush.  Not easy to find Elite talent.  But it is easier to become a more physical defense, more of those players available and scheme will dictate too.  Big reason I think we need to move on from Frazier, and try a different approach. Hopefully front office is honestly assessing this and can make the tough decisions needed.

I would say Hyde/Poyer /Milano are good but not very very good

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.