Frazier getting second interview with Joe Schoen and NYG

YoloinOhio

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This staff has a nearly unblemished (aside from the one jerk who quit in the middle of opening day) record of developing secondary players who they draft or sign.  Nearly all of them have become the best versions of themselves in this defense under this coaching staff.

Good point.  Thy have done well with this group.  

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he and McD share some blame for the two passes to get KC into FG range. The coaching miscue there is on both of them. However, that aside I agree with you totally. People thinking the problem is Leslie Frazier are asking the wrong question IMO.

Everything that happened in the last 13 seconds I 100% blame McDermott. He's the head coach in the closing seconds of a critical game. Any error at that point is on him. It's too bad because I really like McDermott. But his decisions in those last 13 seconds cost us a likely Super Bowl berth.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Everything that happened in the last 13 seconds I 100% blame McDermott. He's the head coach in the closing seconds of a critical game. Any error at that point is on him. It's too bad because I really like McDermott. But his decisions in those last 13 seconds cost us a likely Super Bowl berth.

Only HC this doesn't happen to is in NE and maybe the second one is in Balt.

I feel like McD will correct this, he seems like that kind of coach. Even though this is now his 5th year, he still has some work to do

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I hope Frazier gets hired by the Giants.  If not, I don't think he gets a HC gig anywhere this year and I for one would like to see a different defensive coordinator come in and see what he can do with the pieces we have.

I am especially interested to see what a more aggressive DC (hopefully thats the direction we go) can do with a couple particular guys:

1. Edmunds - The TSW whipping boy, mostly because I think people around here fail realize what they dislike most about him is how he is used.  Its why the coaches and opponents have such a better opinion of him, they see him doing what he is asked while the fans expect him to do something that he is not being asked to do out there.  So before we have to make a decision on him next off season, I would like to see a DC turn him loose and let him play a more aggressive style like Parsons.  Frazier has predominantly used him more as a safety valve (playing further away from the ball) and letting his athletic ability help him get to the ball in a true bend but don't break approach.  Its like he is a 3rd Safety out there most the game.  
  2. Oliver - This guy had a break out season this year, and I think its only the beginning for him if we can bring more aggression to our defensive play style. 
  3. Our DE's, especially the young ones - How much more effective could they be if our defensive style was more aggressive?  

So nothing against Frazier, he did a great job while the was here for the most part, but I think we have the pieces now to be more aggressive instead of relying on the bend but don't break approach most the time.  I think it has its moments, and can still be used, but we need to be able to turn up the heat too at any point in the game we want.  And that is something Frazier just isn't that great at doing, making those in game adjustments to make those game defining plays on the defensive side of the ball.  Its more like we all just hold our breath and hope this isnt the time we bend and then break (like KC OT).  

Great post, and your sentiments echo a lot of what I was trying to convey in my thread about coaching or talent evaluation. Frazier and McDermott are excellent DB coaches. It has elevated the play of most anyone suiting up in the secondary. The fact that Buffalo plays a base Nickel points to it. Play to your advantage. It is mind boggling how both coached under Jim Jones and are not aggressive at all.

Point 2 - I agree 100% and Oliver did produce better this year and started to make a few splash plays. This coincided with better 1TDT play. At #9 you would hope he didn't need it as much, but he does. When Oliver has good 1TDT play next to him he benefits. Buffalo needs to keep that in mind this off season IMO.

Point 3 - Mostly agree. Rosseau started pretty hot. He also flashed play making ability with the tipped pass and INT. He seemed to run out of gas as the season wore on. Understandable. He only started one year in college and had a COVID year off. I think he will improve next year. Basham either gets beat or makes plays. He is a fan favorite in my viewing group. I think both will benefit with more snaps and a year of pro-football conditioning and experience.

Point 1 is the buggaboo. I really have been down on Edmunds since after year 2. Every metric declined in yr 3, they stabilized some in yr 4. Too many times this year he was looking sideways, or slow to react to the snap. The TB game scoring drive was an example. I saw it 2-3 times against KC in the Divisional Game.

That said, my eyes tell me he did tackle better this year. PFR shows an 8.5% missed tackle rate, which was his best as a pro. He did make more plays at or near the LOS. His 7 stuffs (TFL) was second highest in his career, and some of them were very timely.  I really think playing nickel LB with only 2 LBs is asking too much for a prototype LB all the time. There is just too much area and responsibilities for him to cover. We are spoiled by Poyer and Hyde being so good at it as S in the nickel. If anything they benefit from having a 5th DB on the field. Milano does well in this set too, but a lot of people forget he converted from Safety his rookie season at BC to LB. Milano understands safety concepts and speaks McDermott/ Frazier's positional language. Milano also does not have to call the defense.

Not sure Edmunds is a scheme fit to what McDermott and Frazier want to do defensively. His pure athleticism covers it a lot. I believe he would be beastly in a 4-3 or 3-4. If Buffalo wants to continue Nickel is a 3-3-5 an option? Clog up more of the short/ middle of the field. Pressure will have to be generated with blitzes though. Against run based teams like Indy and Ten they will have to dial up run blitzes.

Because of all of that I am eager to see what another DC with a scheme change/ adjustment could do. Frazier is good, but I don't think they are getting what they could out of this personnel.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This staff has a nearly unblemished (aside from the one jerk who quit in the middle of opening day) record of developing secondary players who they draft or sign.  Nearly all of them have become the best versions of themselves in this defense under this coaching staff.

Yep and this is why my #1 candidate for DC if Frazier leaves is John Butler.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think Leslie had input into both those calls. He calls the defense. McDermott was clearly involved in all those decisions too but Leslie didn't just stand there quietly while McDermott made decisions. On them both. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Leslie had input into both those calls. He calls the defense. McDermott was clearly involved in all those decisions too but Leslie didn't just stand there quietly while McDermott made decisions. On them both. 

Calling the defense is one thing. But the overall philosophy of leaving the middle of the field wide open and rushing 4, that's on McDermott. That's not an issue of play calling, it's an issue of misunderstanding the game situation which falls squarely on the head coach.

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Only HC this doesn't happen to is in NE and maybe the second one is in Balt.

I feel like McD will correct this, he seems like that kind of coach. Even though this is now his 5th year, he still has some work to do

My concern is what mistake will he do next year?  Two years ago he mismanaged overtime against Houston. Last year against Chiefs he played too conservative and resorting to field goals. His game day mistakes are becoming an alarming routine.  

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do we want more of the same, or someone a bit more aggressive and strong with the front to get the most out of all the premium picks spent on DL and LB?

I am starting to think that there is too much emphasis on the DBs and not enough on pressure and the front. The drafts and FA have clearly focused on that, but the results up front are marginal at best. The players are good, I don't think a base nickel with a DC and HC who are both DBs at heart is getting the most out of them right now.

McDermott was a S. He was the DB coach under Jim Jones in Philly. I agree they have done a great job with DBs. He can help any DC get the most out of any DB we have. Buffalo has to get more out of the DL/LB to be able to beat the Mahomes/ Burrow/ Herberts of the world. Just sitting back and playing DB ball is not going to win against those types of QBs. Even Kyler Murray proved it.

We need a defensive coach who gets more out of the front 6-7 on the team IMO.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Calling the defense is one thing. But the overall philosophy of leaving the middle of the field wide open and rushing 4, that's on McDermott. That's not an issue of play calling, it's an issue of misunderstanding the game situation which falls squarely on the head coach.

I agree with that. But the calls are still Frazier's. They both have to take their lumps. 

1 minute ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

We need a defensive coach who gets more out of the front 6-7 on the team IMO.

Or we need more talent in that front 7? 

Look at the 2021 season... best 5 players on defense.... how man of them are front 7 players? Ed Oliver.... maybe Milano (although I didn't think he ended the year as well as he started it). The others - Tre (until injury), Jordan and Micah. 

An interesting question to ask, tough I don’t think McD would’ve answered it satisfactory, “coach, if you were up by less than 3 after Gabe’s touchdown, would that margin have affected the defensive play calls during those last 13 seconds?”

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Unfortunately what you described is the Bills defensive MO all season for the past few seasons. 4-2-5 leaves a lot of middle territory open.

QBs like Brady/ Mahomes/ Burrow will chew that up. KC does not launch crazy bombs all over. They beat teams in the middle of the field and count on YAC to get the explosive plays. Hill/ Pringle etc speed. Kelce strength. CHE playing against a 6 man front. Look at the Hill TD. Mid range pass and speed kills. JaMarr Chase would feast. Against run based teams how often do we see Poyer being the first person to lay a helmet on a RB/ TE with a full head of steam?

What made 13 seconds worse was the safeties playing off 20 yards down field. They were worried about being beaten over the top and defended the sidelines. Dumb when a team has underneath weapons with YAC capability and 3 timeouts.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not so sure about that. 

he was promoted internally from DB coach to DC at PSU and failed prettt badly. He was also good at blaming players and taking no responsibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with that. But the calls are still Frazier's. They both have to take their lumps. 

Or we need more talent in that front 7? 

Look at the 2021 season... best 5 players on defense.... how man of them are front 7 players? Ed Oliver.... maybe Milano (although I didn't think he ended the year as well as he started it). The others - Tre (until injury), Jordan and Micah. 

I started a whole thread about this. Coaching and scheme vs Talent evaluation.

You and I are seeing the same fundamental problem. The front 6-7 is not delivering. Why?

So much FA and premium draft capital has been spent, that it is or will soon be a detriment to the team.

2 hours ago, Mopreme said:

My concern is what mistake will he do next year?  Two years ago he mismanaged overtime against Houston. Last year against Chiefs he played too conservative and resorting to field goals. His game day mistakes are becoming an alarming routine.  

I’ve been saying it for years- McD has a low football IQ when it comes to in game decisions...never one to think outside the box, and always reacting, instead of dictating terms...

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I’ve been saying it for years- McD has a low football IQ when it comes to in game decisions...never one to think outside the box, and always reacting, instead of dictating terms...

Part of the problem I notice with McDermott is even though we rank high in pass defense and have a veteran group he doesn't trust them vs top QBs. Especially in big moments. Now I will say this they've been burned. The OT play vs Tampa they were aggressive in coverage and got burned. We lack speed in the back end.

Possibilities left for frazier:

Saints - Dennis Allen is their current Dc and the front runner. They said they will interview others but they aren’t hiring another DC over their own 

Vikings - he already was the HC there, can’t see it 

Raiders - already hired McDaniels choice of GM, McDaniels likely announced soon

Jaguars - close to hiring Leftwich as long as they fire balke and hire his choice of GM Adrian Wilson 

Dolphins - ? He interviewed, it might be the only option now

Texans - close to hiring josh McCown, interviewed frazier last year but not this year 

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

They used 2 picks on DL last year to do this...

hopefully Groot just needs that 2nd year to turn the corner.   He played great considering the didnt even play the last year before and then playing ..what 5 extra games than college?   huge rookie wall to get over there.   Even Bruce struggled his first year.   Same could be said for Boogie.   i think he played 25% of the snaps and had 2.5 sacks.    times that by 4 and thats 10 sacks.   I think we just need one difference maker vet and it makes the entire D better.   

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.