Frazier getting second interview with Joe Schoen and NYG

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They passed on Mahommes in 2017. Maybe the fans were right?

Our personal preference for "our guy" doesn't make 1 Lombardi(and perhaps counting), multiple AFC titles and an MVP award for the team we traded Mahomes to go away.

It's fixable..........but it's certainly a mess of the Bills own doing that their path to a championship is now twice blocked by said QB they traded to a longtime AFC rival.

Point though is that it was never a valid excuse.    You don't need more than a few months to identify a QB and decide if he's worthy of selection..........the teams that haven't hired new HC's will still be evaluating QB's...........it was a convenient excuse for a very perculiar situation they put themselves into.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's McD's defense. It must be so nice for him that people are putting the blame on the DC, the guy who's an extension of what the head coach wants to do. 

It may be McDermott's biggest accomplishment here that he's somehow free from any kind of accountability from a sizable chunk of the fanbase. 

Remember when McD suspended Frasier's D coordinator duties for a game or two? Cause he wasn't doing what was expected. I suspect McD fires Leslie if he doesn't get an HC position somewhere else. McD needs to assume the D coordinator duties unless he can land a Swartz type guy which I doubt. 

Time for McD to own it.

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's McD's defense. It must be so nice for him that people are putting the blame on the DC, the guy who's an extension of what the head coach wants to do. 

It may be McDermott's biggest accomplishment here that he's somehow free from any kind of accountability from a sizable chunk of the fanbase. 

It may be due to the franchise's remarkable top-to-bottom turnaround since the day McD took over, dontcha think?

Breaking the playoff drought his first year had a lot to do with his early legitimacy (we all know the way the Bills snuck in and how poor they looked once there, but he got the absolute most out of that roster). And he was largely responsible for bringing in Beane, and consequently #17, so...now the franchise is a legitimate SB contender every year until proven otherwise. 

Pretty amazing to be in this position after decades of mediocrity. He's likely earned at least two more seasons to win a SB, barring some kind of unforeseen debacle in 2022. The best organizations in the NFL value head coaching consistency. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Our personal preference for "our guy" doesn't make 1 Lombardi(and perhaps counting), multiple AFC titles and an MVP award for the team we traded Mahomes to go away.

It's fixable..........but it's certainly a mess of the Bills own doing that their path to a championship is now twice blocked by said QB they traded to a longtime AFC rival.

Point though is that it was never a valid excuse.    You don't need more than a few months to identify a QB and decide if he's worthy of selection..........the teams that haven't hired new HC's will still be evaluating QB's...........it was a convenient excuse for a very perculiar situation they put themselves into.

WTF is this bro? There's nothing wrong with our QB. Yoou think it's different here if Mahomes is our QB? Love Josh forever!

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Plus, do you think Mahomes would have had a similarly fruitful redshirt year here? In KC the coaching was well-established and the team was solid. Mahomes went through a daily QB camp for the entire season, breaking down his mechanics, habits, thought processes...before building them back up again.

Allen on the other hand was thrust into the fire (do NOT forget who his offensive coaches were that season...and his offensive "weapons") and he relied upon outside/off-season tutelage to refine his game (at least early on). 

12 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

WTF is this bro? There's nothing wrong with our QB. Yoou think it's different here if Mahomes is our QB? Love Josh forever!

Yep, love Josh.   But Josh wasn't in the 2017 draft.     

The Bills reticence to draft a QB on only 5 months notice..........and the subsequent trade of a pick they knew was going to be one of those QB's to a division rival.......for bad draft capital value to boot.........made the Chiefs dynasty possible.

And yes, nowadays what is likely 3 straight SB trips and 2 titles would certainly be a dynasty.

Maybe in a decade in review they will have come out of the period with more success............but the point is...........you don't decide what draft in which you pick your QB..........you need to always be prepared to pull that trigger when you don't have one.

They were fortunate to avoid the fate that Buddy Nix did when he tried to build the team up and then ended up with a draft with EJ and Geno at the top when he was finally comfy enough to make his move. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep, love Josh.   But Josh wasn't in the 2017 draft.     

The Bills reticence to draft a QB on only 5 months notice..........and the subsequent trade of a pick they knew was going to be one of those QB's to a division rival.......for bad draft capital value to boot.........made the Chiefs dynasty possible.

And yes, nowadays what is likely 3 straight SB's and 2 titles would certainly be a dynasty.

Maybe in a decade in review they will have come out of the period with more success............but the point is...........you don't decide what draft in which you pick your QB..........you need to always be prepared to pull that trigger when you don't have one.

They were fortunate to avoid the fate that Buddy Nix did when he tried to build the team up and then ended up with a draft with EJ and Geno at the top when he was finally comfy enough to make his move. :lol:

Ok, Buddy was Hell bent to leave us in a good position. We owe him gratitude for that. Unfortunately he decided to do that when EJ was our best option. Whew!

We probably wouldn't have drafted Mahomes anyways LOL and actually for the first time in a long time I have to say, I'll be ok if our first pick is CB. But it better be best value on the board and by a large margin. Otherwise we have other needs.

5 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Plus, do you think Mahomes would have had a similarly fruitful redshirt year here? In KC the coaching was well-established and the team was solid. Mahomes went through a daily QB camp for the entire season, breaking down his mechanics, habits, thought processes...before building them back up again.

Allen on the other hand was thrust into the fire (do NOT forget who his offensive coaches were that season...and his offensive "weapons") and he relied upon outside/off-season tutelage to refine his game (at least early on). 

I don't make the assumption that Patrick Mahomes somehow couldn't succeed in Buffalo anymore than I assumed Allen couldn't succeed in Buffalo.

Mahomes is an incredible athlete/player/competitor............if anything he had an edge entering the league because he grew up the son of a long time pro athlete and played in a more sophisticated system in college etc..

That "but he wouldn't have succeeded here" losers lament was always a crutch Bills fans leaned on.

Brady couldn't have made it with this team...........Big Ben couldn't have made it in Buffalo...........if they hadn't traded that pick for JP Losman they could have drafted Aaron Rodgers but he couldn't have made it in Buffalo...........Russell Wilson couldn't have made it in Buffalo with that staff...........transcendent talents also elevate their environment.  

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

It is and it isn't. Frazier calls the plays and fd us that last 13 seconds. He also looked like a weirdo zombie the whole time the camera panned to him on the sideline like he was a corpse of himself. They'd be insane to hire him, but on the off 5% chance, I'll take what I can get.

Frazier will fail no matter where he goes. He was awful as a HC in Minnesota and it seems his current personality is that of Rob Ott.  He looks like a standing coma.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Frazier will fail no matter where he goes. He was awful as a HC in Minnesota and it seems his current personality is that of Rob Ott.  He looks like a standing coma.

But will keel you with those laser eyes no?

Edited by beerme1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't make the assumption that Patrick Mahomes somehow couldn't succeed in Buffalo anymore than I assumed Allen couldn't succeed in Buffalo.

Mahomes is an incredible athlete/player/competitor............if anything he had an edge entering the league because he grew up the son of a long time pro athlete and played in a more sophisticated system in college etc..

That "but he wouldn't have succeeded here" losers lament was always a crutch Bills fans leaned on.

Brady couldn't have made it with this team...........Big Ben couldn't have made it in Buffalo...........if they hadn't traded that pick for JP Losman they could have drafted Aaron Rodgers but he couldn't have made it in Buffalo...........Russell Wilson couldn't have made it in Buffalo with that staff...........transcendent talents also elevate their environment.  

Their rivals keep doing it though!  The Chiefs had a hole at left tackle this offseason and the Ravens, thinking they had surplus at the position, traded them Orlando Brown leading up to the draft.  The Chiefs ended up with one of the best lines in the league, turning a weakness into a strength.  The Ravens’ line meanwhile ended up a shambles.  

And then Pitt traded them Ingram midseason because Tomlin wanted “volunteers not hostages” and he turned out to be the missing piece for that defense, allowing them to kick Jones inside - that trade helped spark the Chiefs’ late-season defensive turnaround.  They were reeling before then.  Pitt meanwhile proceeds to lose to them in the playoffs.  

You’d think their AFC rivals would’ve learned after what the Bills did and would stop making deals with Brett Veach but no - I’m sure he’s already scanning the rosters of the Colts, Dolphins and Browns looking for some cherries to pick…

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hey, I'm mostly asking questions that I think shouldn't be overlooked. Circumstances have SO MUCH to do with any given player's success, but especially at the QB position. How things ultimately do turn out for young QBs in the NFL don't necessarily reflect the only way they could have happened.

How many highly-regarded prospects could have benefitted from a complete redshirt rookie season and excellent one-on-one coaching, with elite weapons already flourishing in a dynamic scheme waiting for him once he took the field in year two? 

3 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I like this. It also makes McDermott sink or swim. I think he swims though honestly. He's good with a lot of things and not so much with others. But I think him adding this to his duties would suit his personality to a tee. It would also leave no doubt about his skill set. I think he can handle it for a few years before burn out sets in.

McDermott can groom someone while promoting from within during this transition period if Frazier leaves. Super bowl window may never be as big as it is now. McDermott needs to slay the KC dragon next year. It is no longer about making the playoffs. McDermott/Beane should be graded on getting this team to the Super Bowl.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

McDermott is not absolved of any blame. He is CEO of team and owns failures in all 3 phases of the game. Defense, Offense, and Special teams. However, I have seen enough of Frazier led defenses not just with the Bills that he is conservative by nature.

Edited by billieve420

8 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

McDermott is not absolved of any blame. He is CEO of team and owns failures in all 3 phases of the game. Defense, Offense, and Special teams. However, I have seen enough of Frazier led defenses not just with the Bills that he is conservative by nature.

We've lost to Mahomes. The guy averages like 40 points a game vs the AFC in the playoffs. People are overreacting. 

The defense has been very good without an elite front.

4 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Honestly think it was Frazier’s conservative nature which hurt the Bills down the stretch in that Chief’s game and here is hoping he gets one of these HC openings. One of his former players even seemed to indicate this. 

Former Viking linebacker Ben Leber said on radio here in MN the other morning that Leslie Frazier used to call such conservative defense late in games, players discussed in-huddle changing the call on the fly. Looks like he still calls it that way…

Sadly he will not receive any HC offer and we will be stuck with this loser

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.