Greg Olson regrets he didn't sign with Buf. We should have 1st dibs on many FAs looking for a SB

JerseyBills

IT wouldn't be bad to get a couple of FA's this off season but i hope they are worth the money which Beane i think will do his usual due diligence & not over pay for any players .

It sure would have been nice this year to have a guy in the middle that had the production that Jordan Phillips had when he was here . Who knows maybe after he's healthy if the numbers could work out they could get someone like him back if he could play like he did the 1 year here that would be a welcome addition .

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Agreed. But the point is we should be a landing spot for many top tier FAs

Compare this to 2016-17 , pretty amazing culture shift

same thing with Brady in NE.  They didn’t have much cap space,   Buffalo is good and we have a very good QB.  Players wanting to win can opt for the chance to win over the highest salary.

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What does better cap shape mean?  They have more room next season?  Please explain?  They have 21M and we have 2.5M

who are the key free agents that we have to sign?  Phillips, Bates and Levi (maybe?). Those 3 combined might make less than their FA LT Orlando Brown   Then there’s Tyrann Mathieu, Ward, Ingram, their RT Wylie, Jarran Reed, Pringle, robinson.  They have 3 DBs under contract, Sneed, thro hill and Fenton.  

They’re paying Chris Jones almost 30M per year.  Clark, 26M, Tyreek 20M (and he’s a FA after next season).  Kelces contract balloons following next season. 

i wouldn’t consider them in a much betttr position cap wise.  

My main point is that KC plays in Super Bowls and up til now the Bills do not so for a FA who "wants a Super Bowl", KC would be first choice.   So from a first dibs perspective, I think they are at least 2nd there.  Yes I was saying they have more cap space, you are looking a little deeper and saying they have more holes, maybe that is true.  Neither team is in a great cap condition which is expected for great teams.

45 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

This is definitely a franchise defining off-season.  Do we become a perennial playoff caliber team that doesn't quite have the talent to go all the way?  Or, do we push all the chips in and add the few missing pieces need to take us over the top and get that championship now?  I would mortgage the future for a title.  

It's the natural grieving process that we are all going through in real time.  Disbelief, anger and hope.  

We are evenly matched with KC and are a perennial playoff team. The last 3 games with kc, kc 100 buff 98. If we won the toss, we would be playing Sunday. Those are the top 2 teams. The question to ask is, how much better (if any) can u get in one offseason? A scheme change on D is not the answer. Is there a glaring weakness that 1 piece can upgrade or do you make your strengths even stronger?

The natural grieving process is not calling for everyone's head. Am I pissed, sad full of disbelief- yup, but it's how do we take that next step and fixing what broke down. Just like players have to grow and get better, so does the coaching staff. The execution failure could have been the kickoff, Levi playing as he was taught throughout the season to not get beat to the outside or a failure in the communication chain from McD to the St or DC, from those coords to the players, or from player to player. You put a process in place to error proof that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Whatever. Screw both of them. Olsen was past his prine anyways. Had 294 and 1 td with Hawks. 

Thank you!! He weighed his options and thought Russ was a better QB than Josh. Same situation with Smoke Brown. Shady tried to tell people Josh was special. They didn’t want to listen. Gronk, I hope your ears are unclogged 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, sorry, but that's nonsense. Which we'll always get a lot of after a horrible loss like this. But still nonsense even if the emotion is pretty understandable.

He's been here for four drafts, meaning you can only be sure of a good evaluation on the first draft. The rest, it's just too early to know.

He's had four first-rounders, three of whom in Allen, Edmunds and Oliver are good to excellent picks. Rousseau it's too early to know, but looked good for a rookie.

He's had three second-rounders, none of whom had seen four years yet. Ford looks like a bad pick, though it's still barely possible he improves. Epenesa and Basham it's simply too early to know.

He's had five third-rounders, and for third-rounders he's done really well. Harrison Phillips looks like a very good pick, Singletary a good pick now that we have a functional OL, Knox excellent, Moss not good so far but simply too early to know. Spencer Brown looks like he's going to be a real bargain.

To sum up, nonsense.

Sorry, but it's not nonsense.  He has drafted poorly.  We are in a win-now mode, and you keep wanting to "wait".  Well, that's fine, but waiting and hoping are not a strategy.  

Let's start with the 1st rounders:   Allen: Stud, clearly excellent pick.  This is like the Dolphins Marino pick.  Edmunds is an awful pick, considering he is not an impact player, we traded up for him, and 2 impact LBs were available later (Vander Esch and D. Leonard).  How you can defend the Edmunds pick is beyond me, esp. with him leaving the middle of the field WIDE OPEN v. KC.   Oliver.  Taken at 9.  Really.  Took 3 years with myriad of excuses to make somewhat of an impact in some games.  He is a good pick.  Rousseau was basically a non-factor, and considering he was drafted to "stop KC," well, that failed.  

Second Rounders:  Why are we giving them 4 years?  Creed Humphry is an all-pro in year 1.  Gabe Davis, a later pick, is already balling.  And it's not too early to know on Epenesa: he's a bust/backup player at best, and Basham was a wasted pick with a clear-cut round 1 talent in Humphry sitting there.  

Third Rounders: Harrision Phillips is an average player, Singletary did NOTHING in the AFC Championship game, hence why Allen ran so much.  He's had 1/2 of a good season.  RB's can make an impact as a rookie.  He's a backup player.  Knox pick has now turned out to be excellent.  Moss is a total bust.  Spencer Brown looks like a good pick.  

To sum it up:  my OP is that Bean is bad at drafting in the 1st two rounds, minus Allen.  He has been.  He has picked the wrong players over and over again, targeting positions rather than BPA.  And I believe my OP also limited his bad picks to defensive players, of which he has drafted ZERO impact players.  No OC is scared of any of the guys he drafted in the top 2 rounds on defense.  

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

same thing with Brady in NE.  They didn’t have much cap space,   Buffalo is good and we have a very good QB.  Players wanting to win can opt for the chance to win over the highest salary.

Lets pull the reigns back slightly.

Tampa also has the distinct advantage of zero state income tax and still nice weather.

Buffalo the city, like it or not, still has a bad reputation around the country.

You may get ring chasers yes, but top tier UFAs are still going highest bidder.

Going forward playing with Allen will certainly be attractive.

But again, if you are a veteran looking to sign for less with team for a chance at a ring and both the Chiefs and Bills come knocking it's pretty obviously what the choice is going to be especially if this is the beginning of KC's dynasty.

It's good to see more of a shift from our former division rivals. When they had Brady, talented vets were tripping over themselves taking pay cuts to play w/ him.

At least that's one thing we can take from this season. The Patriots dragon was vanquished & transported to another universe.   Now, they'll have to get used to the view from down in the standings.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Going forward playing with Allen will certainly be attractive.

But again, if you are a veteran looking to sign for less with team for a chance at a ring and both the Chiefs and Bills come knocking it's pretty obviously what the choice is going to be especially if this is the beginning of KC's dynasty.

Which ring chasers joined the chiefs this offseason?  Jarran Reed.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.