SB Nation article - Josh a mega star

Royale with Cheese

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You make sense.  So basically it's a jr employee sucking up to his boss.

Returning to the OP and the OP link:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2022/1/24/22899153/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-nfl-playoffs-highlights-stats-draft-omg?utm_content=sbnation&utm_campaign=sbnation.socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

All the film clips they put up are great, and I love the "QB Love" our guy is getting, but I personally think it's MORE painful to have that loss while Josh was playing at a mega-star level.

it is for sure..but,    think about rogers..think about mahomes.   even russel..(he got the shaft)...  that greatness really doesnt dissipate year in and year out.  other factors can come into play but elite qbs are elite...especially when everything is on the line.   

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Diggs and Davis will be a fantastic 1-2 combo moving forward.

The question will be who's #1 and who's #2?

will probably just depend on the game.   if your # is called...catch the ball.   

10 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I disagree, the loss still sucks pretty badly. 

Wait an entire year basically to end up in the same position and hope for a different outcome. 

Allen can't play any better, defense better find a spine.

The loss hurts so badly precisely BECAUSE of how well Allen played down the stretch (both in the last two games AND in the last two minutes of both halves against KC). So in a way, the author's claim is way off...emotionally. The Bills squandered legendary performances from a transcendent talent who did everything possible to win THIS SEASON (BEFORE his contract becomes an obstacle). The author is mostly ignoring pathos.

In another sense, though, of course the author's argument has some merit...logically. We all witnessed the absolutely undeniable ascension of a formerly polarizing player to unanimously elite status. And typically, elite QB play doesn't waiver year-to-year the way defensive play does. So the sober, rational takeaway can be that Bills fans should reasonably look forward to 5-10 years of elite QB play, which gives the team a chance basically every season. In this way, the author's logos is sound (minus one caveat).

(A logical counterpoint could suggest that the Bills failed to capitalize on what might be...looking back...the franchise's best path to a championship, given contract situations, roster makeup, top playoff seeds falling, etc. There are, in the end, so many delightfully painful ways to look at this loss WITHOUT even digging up the trauma of past devastations.) 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think a LOT of athletes use that sort of psychology for motivation.

"We don't get any respect" and that sort of thing.

Yeah Jordan would pretend in his own head that a competitor slighted him in order to manufacturer motivation, sustaining success. Josh just needs a regular injection of doubters and he’ll be fine.

I love this quote:

Allen had major accuracy issues and poor footwork coming out of Wyoming. The great Jason Kirk wrote about all the troubling signs for Allen’s NFL future as he arrived in the league, concluding that if Allen was a successful pro, “the Bills will have outsmarted basically all regular humans and the entirety of math itself.

In college my honors math professor would go over unsolved math problems.  He would explain math is a science and not an art and that many proofs which were unsolvable were later solved.  He then gave a math problem which had been unsolvable as an example and taught the lecture. This was a double period class with a break and I stayed in seat entire time.  At end of class when class had exited Professor came to me.

Professor: "Class is over and you have not paid attention the whole class." 

Me: "I read the chapter already and did all of the problems but I could not get my mind off the first problem."

Professor: "The first problem was simple."

Me: "No, the unsolved problem.  I solved it.

Professor: "It seems deceptively simple but it is not."

Me: "Yes I saw that but I took another approach and able to prove it."  I handed him my notepad.

Professor: "Yes. I have seen this approach before but not how you did it.  Some of your assumptions are not proved yet however.  Complete the proof and I will back it as part of your thesis."

I changed degrees in last year of school but I gave him my proof before I graduated with CS degree.

He said "I will examine the proof and if it is complete I will use it as an example in class. Contact me if you go to grad school."

I got a very strong reference letter as person who solves problems.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Madden ‘23 cover?

I think it will be a picture of Madden as it should be.

34 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I love this quote:

In college my honors math professor would go over unsolved math problems.  He would explain math is a science and not an art and that many proofs which were unsolvable were later solved.  He then gave a math problem which had been unsolvable as an example and taught the lecture. This was a double period class with a break and I stayed in seat entire time.  At end of class when class had exited Professor came to me.

Professor: "Class is over and you have not paid attention the whole class." 

Me: "I read the chapter already and did all of the problems but I could not get my mind off the first problem."

Professor: "The first problem was simple."

Me: "No, the unsolved problem.  I solved it.

Professor: "It seems deceptively simple but it is not."

Me: "Yes I saw that but I took another approach and able to prove it."  I handed him my notepad.

Professor: "Yes. I have seen this approach before but not how you did it.  Some of your assumptions are not proved yet however.  Complete the proof and I will back it as part of your thesis."

I changed degrees in last year of school but I gave him my proof before I graduated with CS degree.

He said "I will examine the proof and if it is complete I will use it as an example in class. Contact me if you go to grad school."

I got a very strong reference letter as person who solves problems.

Is this true or did you just watch Good Will Hunting?

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

If Josh Allen succeeds, the Bills will have outsmarted basically all regular humans and the entirety of math itself

If this works, then stats really are for losers, I guess.

By Jason Kirk  Updated Apr 26, 2018, 8:58pm EDT 

Loser!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

I might be crazy but it seems he is strongly motivated by these failures and by rejection. I think he’ll improve even more (if that’s possible) as a result. This is why I roll my eyes at the fans  who constantly complain JA isn’t getting respect, pro bowls, mvp’s, etc. Good! This is what motivates him!!! He will dust the competition in a year or 2.

Jordan fabricated disrespect to fire up his motivation. Josh just uses the disrespect that's there as fuel. Even Jordan had to get by the Pistons, but once he did. The look on his face after the game... I think other teams are in big, big trouble next year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Even as Bills fans we wondered if Josh Allen could reach his ceiling and be able to sustain it for more than one game.

Now we know. We know what he can do, we saw it, in pressure filled playoff games two weeks in a row. The whole NFL world saw what he can do for multiple games. If we get that Josh Allen for 17 games next year the Bills should be hosting the playoffs instead of the Chiefs. Play that game at Orchard Park and it may have been different.

This year feels a bit like 1989. It wasn't bickering, but it was a let down coming off of a AFC Championship game the year prior.

JA knows the level he needs to play at now, and he can do it. The whole football world knows now. No more Jacksonville or Pittsburgh style games if you want home field and a more secure path to the Super Bowl.

McDermott took one on the chin too. He knows he can not waste any more Allen seasons. I hope Beane pulls the trigger on the next Melvin Ingram/ Von Miller style opportunity mid season. The Bills did nothing to improve the team as the season wore on. Multiple players became available who could have helped and we did nothing. The chips should be all in from now on. We all know we have the QB, you have to go all in.

This sucks right now, but it may be for the best going forward.

If we get this Josh Allen every week next year I would be hard-pressed to find the regular season loss.  I'll take it.  The kid is GREAT.

• Like (+1) 1

This is why I am not as devastated by the KC loss as I might normally have been.  If this were a year where maybe everything fell into place and we had an all-time great defense and everyone was playing out of their minds...BUT we didn't have the long-term answer at QB, and we were basically trying to cash in for this season only, I would be way more upset as we were so close.

BUT, in my mind, with Allen, we have THE most important position settled for several years.  I don't just think we will get back, I know we will.  And I truly believe Josh will get Buffalo a Super Bowl championship.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Not yet.

one thing remains.

A National Commercial.

he must get a national commercial

then …

Only then…

A mega star will he be.

and a national commercial he will get.

😉 ask your Star Wars friends 😉

He was in the Buffalo wild wings commercial. 

Pretty rare that a team loses in the playoffs... but the QB played so well in two games, he is praised as being among the best ever in the playoffs.

Allen never got to touch the ball on the final 2 possessions of the game, so he goes out a hero.  He did everything he could possibly do to win that thing.  And then the Bills do something no NFL team has done in the last 15+ years.  Lose a game when kicking off with that little time left. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Is this true or did you just watch Good Will Hunting?

Good Will Hunting?  I do not think I have seen that movie.  

My life is more like "Flowers for Algernon" in that after a medical accident I cannot even understand some of the things I have developed with one of them being a patent licensed by 13 companies.  I started college as 17 in 2nd years honors student.  I had read 2 sets of encyclopedias by time I was 8 and knew most of the material I read.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Josh might as well fly to Canton this summer and find the guy who makes those bronze busts. He should say make mine now and I will be back in 20 years for the fitting of my gold jacket.

I think Josh will be playing into his 40s for he loves game that much and is capable of remolding himself each year.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Good Will Hunting?  I do not think I have seen that movie.  

My life is more like "Flowers for Algernon" in that after a medical accident I cannot even understand some of the things I have developed with one of them being a patent licensed by 13 companies.  I started college as 17 in 2nd years honors student.  I had read 2 sets of encyclopedias by time I was 8 and knew most of the material I read.

I think Josh will be playing into his 40s for he loves game that much and is capable of remolding himself each year.

His style of play will never allow him to play into his 40's. Those hits he takes will take their toll. Look it how Ben declined the last few years. He is what 39? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.