Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to re-watch the final couple of minutes of the KC/Buff divisional game.

I admit I don't know what the defensive schemes were during those final plays against KC, but one thing was obvious - the TD pass to Hill was right down the middle. Isn't that the general area that the talented long-armed pass-defending named Edmunds should be covering?

Then, in overtime, the killer.  Another KC pass over the middle for enough yards to get into field goal range and win the game.

Again, without direct knowledge of who should be doing what, one thing is clear - the Bills were exploited on both critical plays in the middle of the field.  Why wasn't the pro-bowl middle linebacker somewhere in the area, either to defend the pass or make the tackle?  On both plays he was nowhere to be seen. 

I don't know if it actually was Edmunds, but it's clear somebody blew an assignment.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:20 PM, Old Coot said:

Let's try this take on the discussion:

Assume Edmunds is no longer with the team.  Who is a better MLB fit given the Bills' protect against the pass first scheme?

On the current roster it is AJ Klein.

In free agency I love Anthony Walker Jr from the Browns. Dude plays downhill and instinctive. Very instinctive. Not as fast or as long as Edmunds, but he can play in this scheme. D’Vondre Campbell, Kwon Alexander, and Josey Jewell work for me as well. There are a whole bunch of guys in this year’s draft who make sense as well. I am not saying they should move on necessarily, but there are options. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

On the current roster it is AJ Klein.

In free agency I love Anthony Walker Jr from the Browns. Dude plays downhill and instinctive. Very instinctive. Not as fast or as long as Edmunds, but he can play in this scheme. D’Vondre Campbell, Kwon Alexander, and Josey Jewell work for me as well. There are a whole bunch of guys in this year’s draft who make sense as well. I am not saying they should move on necessarily, but there are options. 

Not the year to get Walker, but he’d be a better, less expensive option if we weren’t tied to Edmunds this season. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No the year to get Walker, but he’d be a better, less expensive option if we weren’t tied to Edmunds this season. 

To me the Bills have two options, either extend Edmunds now, or trade him now. If they believe in him, (whether the fans do or not is irrelevant) they should extend him now so you can include that qualifying offer money in the guaranteed money package. There is almost no benefit to waiting till next year. He is what he is, and he will probably get a little better over time. If you believe in him and are happy with what you are getting from him, based on what you are asking him to do, extend him now. If you aren't happy with his production, you should trade him now.  If they trade him now, I'd go after Walker. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me the Bills have two options, either extend Edmunds now, or trade him now. If they believe in him, (whether the fans do or not is irrelevant) they should extend him now so you can include that qualifying offer money in the guaranteed money package. There is almost no benefit to waiting till next year. He is what he is, and he will probably get a little better over time. If you believe in him and are happy with what you are getting from him, based on what you are asking him to do, extend him now. If you aren't happy with his production, you should trade him now.  If they trade him now, I'd go after Walker. 

I don’t think Edmunds is tradeable on his one year, $12.7M deal.  A team might do it if they loved him and could sign him long term.  But that would have to happen pretrade and then he would know we were trying to trade him.  I don’t think I’d want to go down that road.  It could be a big problem if the trade fell through. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed.  He is what he is at this point.  Either sign him to a long term deal or get some value back in a trade.  Playing on the 5th year option would be McBeane still not being able to make a decision on the guy.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wonder what this new Von Miller contract means for re-signing Edmunds. Especially with picking up Oliver's 5th year.

(Bye, Tremaine)

I think it’s a make it or break it year. I think Beane sees his struggles at times, so he said alright we’re not talented enough in front of him. So he adds Jones, Settle, and presumably Jordan Phillips. 2 guys at 320+ and another guy at 310 who are upgrades over what we have. Then he adds a premier pass rusher to help take the pressure off the pass game. 

I think the mindset is if hey he still struggles after everything we have done to help him then that’s a clear sign he is what he is. If he explodes then you have your answer that he just needed more around him to be successful 

I'm going to drop this here.  I wish Lewis could impart his knowledge with Edmunds.

This is a phenomenal interview.  I wasn't a big Ray Lewis fan, but after listening to this, I am.    He talks about playing MLB, Lamar, Peyton, Brady and his show in the Panama jungle.  Really an entertaining 30 minutes.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:21 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

We wouldnt have done any better against the Colts with Tremaine in. So why pay Edmunds more than double just to do as bad a job? We already know Tremaine cant stop the run, and Klein is better at it.

Look. If we can bring him back on a deal like Milano's at $10M/yr, then I'm not against re-signing Edmunds. But I think we both can agree that is very unlikely, and he'll be more in the $13-15M range. So I'm fine moving on and spending that money on improving the DL in front of our LBs. Roll for a year with a player the likes of Klein, and an improved DL, and we dont miss a beat. imo. Then look to draft a replacement early.

Paying Edmunds top dollar when there are so many weaknesses in his game is a bad idea. He could easily be replaced with someone like Klein. Which was the point of this part of the discussion on this page.

I think run stop matters more with the DT's in front of Edmunds....I am NOT a fan of paying Edmunds 15 dollars a year

Honestly I think Oliver gives us more production....and after that contract to Von Miller I think we are going to have to decide between the two of them

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Wonder what this new Von Miller contract means for re-signing Edmunds. Especially with picking up Oliver's 5th year.

(Bye, Tremaine)

The effects trickle down to fringe starters and washed up vets, not Edmunds. If they still view Edmunds as part of the core after this year, he'll get a new contract. It won't affect him or Oliver.

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think run stop matters more with the DT's in front of Edmunds....I am NOT a fan of paying Edmunds 15 dollars a year

Honestly I think Oliver gives us more production....and after that contract to Von Miller I think we are going to have to decide between the two of them

This will be Tremaine's last year in Buffalo.  I don't see trade partners lining up for nearly 13M.  We'll go in a less expensive direction next year.

• Agree 2

On 1/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

As much as it pains me to say this. I think they extend him…maybe not break the bank but they extend him. They’ve invested a lot of time into him and they don’t have someone waiting in the wings to replace him. It would just create another hole. 

I’m comfortable with keeping Edmunds and trading for an elite down lineman. Whether it be another inside guy to play next to Ed Oliver or defensive end. 

Edmunds does exactly was is being asked of him in this defense, even thou it does not show up on the stats sheet. I always thought he was better suited to play on the outside, but it is what it is now. 

It's amazing watching Edmunds college highlights back. Knowing what we know now about the player he is, it's all right there to see. All of his big splash plays are when he's not blocked and has a free lane to run down the ball carrier. And the ball carrier is always running in a straight line, never with a cut back. Watch and compare to Nakobe Dean, who is going to the Bills in multiple mock drafts, and it's 100% different. Dean can beat blockers. Dean can read plays .Dean react instinctually to cut backs. Watching a legit middle line backer and comparing him to Edmunds bastardizes the term. Edmunds really isn't a middle line backer. He's a slow strong safety that doesn't cover anybody

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/28/2022 at 1:55 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Chiefs.....Wallace & Dane got abused. They were awful. 

And Milano.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:22 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

No one argues his great ability to guard TE's or RB'S in pass coverage. But you absolutely have to admit his football instincts in run support are absolutely embarrassing. Last I checked every time we play a team with a marquee rb, what are we supposed to do with Edmunds.  Hide him? I would rather have a MLB who's good at both sides of his job, then a guy great at coverage but sucks at run support. And if Tremaine is so spectacular (PFF rating of 1 billion) why the hell wasn't his 6-5 frame covering Kelce on that game winning td? I'll hang up and listen.....

Wasn't his assignment 😃. Your "stud" lb, Milano had that assignment. And blew chunks, but yeah, he's a way better lb. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:59 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Thank you for perfectly articulating every single obvious flaw Tremaine has. Now all I need you to do is explain the insanity of why there's still so many blind Edmunds apologists? Does he have that many relatives?

You talking fans or coaches around the league?

I really do not like the options for this poll- I think he will end up walking because someone will overpay him because he does so many things well and they think that the Bulls just did not get the most out of him in order to make him all pro. As I have stated before anyone who says he is below average knows nothing of assignments and what he is asked to do 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.