Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Milano makes the same mistakes as often as Edmunds does from the easiest LBer position to play. And he his talked about as an elite LBer around here. 

edmunds has more on his plate with these defense. Makes the same mistakes Milano does and is talked like he is trash. 

Reality is Bills players have talked about all Edmunds responsibilities and how much he is asked to do. Why does the coaching staff put so many responsibilities on a “trash” player. 

Milano is not an elite LB.

But talking up Edmunds like he is.........that is pure fiction.

He showed some flashes of improvement this year in the games against much weaker opponents.............but that never materialized into improvement on the whole.........and really he hasn't shown nearly enough progress since his rookie season.............and this year a minor influx of young ILB's and some others improving pushed him down the ranks around the league.

If they could deal away Edmunds and sign DeVondre Campbell for $6M-$7M aav I'd be all over that and the average football fan doesn't even know who that dude is.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Milano is not an elite LB.

But talking up Edmunds like he is.........that is pure fiction.

He showed some flashes of improvement this year in the games against much weaker opponents.............but that never materialized into improvement on the whole.........and really he hasn't shown nearly enough progress since his rookie season.............and this year a minor influx of young ILB's and some others improving pushed him down the ranks around the league.

If they could deal away Edmunds and sign DeVondre Campbell for $6M-$7M aav I'd be all over that and the average football fan doesn't even know who that dude is.

At no point in my review did I ever call Edmunds Elite. However I also know he does have much more responsibilities than a traditional MIke. (bills players have said as much). 

I also have said he is a top 15 MIke. Which he is. So against a nice 4 year 44M extension is a good number for him this summer. The defense gets worse without Him at MIke. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

At no point in my review did I ever call Edmunds Elite. However I also know he does have much more responsibilities than a traditional MIke. (bills players have said as much). 

I also have said he is a top 15 MIke. Which he is. So against a nice 4 year 44M extension is a good number for him this summer. The defense gets worse without Him at MIke. 

Well you put a hat on that straw bale when you jumped to Milano being seen as elite............nobody had said THAT in their criticism of Edmunds.

Yeah he's borderline top 15 Mike right now........league average...........that's down from top 10 last year and as you would say "can you pay $11(pipe dream) or $15M(likely with rising cap) aav for that when you have a franchise QB and a $17M CB and two $10M safeties etc..."

If he's the foundation of this defense then it's a house of cards.    I haven't seen that to be the case when he's been out but granted he hasn't missed a lot of games.

It's all well and good to be excellent against bad and mediocre offenses............but when you can't adjust how you play your back 7 or 8 because your MLB is a robot designed for one system..........then you can't adjust to your high quality opponent the way KC did in the AFCCG against Buffalo last season.......or how Cinci did in the second half against KC this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

He is a better LBer than Milano. 

yes Bills should extend him. There is So much on his plate and gets little to no help from the DTs. 

remember Ray Lewis without DTs eating his blocks and making him fight blocks off. 

he is a top 15 MIke. In a league that needs both LBers to run sideline to sideline. So a 10-12M extension is fine for him. No one is saying he is worth the highest paid MIke in the league. 

sad thing Franchise Tag next year is not possible with him because of the Edge LBer getting lumped in there too. 

0 sacks. 0 forced fumbles. 0 fumble recoveries. 1 int. 7 tackles for loss.

And gets toyed with by the Qbs eyes in the pass game.

Ya no thanks on the extension.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

one of the big problems Patrick Mahomes had was that he didn't have Logan Wilson on a string in coverage like he did wrong-way Tremaine.

Wilson is everything we need Edmunds to be (and which he'll never achive).    Instinctive, impactful and someone who makes plays behind the LOS, not six yards+ downfield.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well you put a hat on that straw bale when you jumped to Milano being seen as elite............nobody had said THAT in their criticism of Edmunds.

Yeah he's borderline top 15 Mike right now........league average...........that's down from top 10 last year and as you would say "can you pay $11(pipe dream) or $15M(likely with rising cap) aav for that when you have a franchise QB and a $17M CB and two $10M safeties etc..."

If he's the foundation of this defense then it's a house of cards.    I haven't seen that to be the case when he's been out but granted he hasn't missed a lot of games.

It's all well and good to be excellent against bad and mediocre offenses............but when you can't adjust how you play your back 7 or 8 because your MLB is a robot designed for one system..........then you can't adjust to your high quality opponent the way KC did in the AFCCG against Buffalo last season.......or how Cinci did in the second half against KC this year.

So does Milano get the same grief from posters here for the same Issues. The missed tackles. The lost in zones the over runs the inability to get off Blocks?  

or is it just Edmunds that get those criticisms?  

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

0 sacks. 0 forced fumbles. 0 fumble recoveries. 1 int. 7 tackles for loss.

And gets toyed with by the Qbs eyes in the pass game.

Ya no thanks on the extension.

Cool you can read stats. Sorry guess what Stats don’t do?  Tell you what responsibilities are placed on a player 

so are those Bills players liars? 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Then my question is why give the guy so much responsibility if it hinders his play?

Ask the untouchable HC?  Or guess we can blame Frazier their too. 

Watching the super bowl, and watching Leonard Floyd, I thought about Edmunds. Floyd had all the strengths and physical traits of an edge player. The Bears draft him and play him  on the edge sometimes, but also off ball linebacker in coverage, and he is not great. He wasn’t playing to his strengths. Essentially a bust. He goes to LA and gets to pin his ears back, set the edge and rush the passer. In six years he has 38.5 sacks. 20 of them came the last two years in LA. And it isn’t like he was playing with scrubs with Chicago. He just wasn’t being used right. I fear that Edmunds may have this same fate. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Cool you can read stats. Sorry guess what Stats don’t do?  Tell you what responsibilities are placed on a player 

so are those Bills players liars? 

Ask the untouchable HC?  Or guess we can blame Frazier their too. 

The stats show he is not an impact player at all and the eye test reflects that perfectly.

Watch the KC game and look at Mahomes deceive him with his eyes all game long. Nothing to do with individual stats there. (Except for the fact he couldn't make a game impact play of course)

Edited by BillsFan130

So hes average to below average at wat he does hovering around that 15 spot. But has a lot more on his plate. Not worth it. Get a second for him if someone is dumb enough to pay that. He's a problem and going to be an expensive one with ridiculous pro bowls under his belt now. Find a replacement Beane. If its a skills tradeoff that comes at half the price, sold. Dont need to pat this dude ridiculous market value wen it ain't working. I'll trade the speed for instinct.

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I still find it pretty damning that when AJ Klein had to step in for an injured Tremaine, Poyer said of the substitution, “there was no drop off at all.”

Of course there wasn't.  You could probably stick Dodson in there for a game or 2 and not notice much difference.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Of course there wasn't.  You could probably stick Dodson in there for a game or 2 and not notice much difference.

But even if Poyer saw that, I thought he should’ve been more diplomatic like “listen, we missed having Tremaine in there, but I thought AJ did an outstanding job.” Or “AJ isn’t Tremaine, we know that, but he really stepped up today.” I felt like his original statement diminished the importance of Edmunds to the defense.

2 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Wilson is everything we need Edmunds to be (and which he'll never achive).    Instinctive, impactful and someone who makes plays behind the LOS, not six yards+ downfield.

I guess the real enigma is why 25% of Bills fans refuse to admit this.  I think the most devastating statistic on Tremaine's performance lies in the qb rating of 114 and 106 when he's been targeted these last 2 seasons.  I thought that was supposed to be his strength?  And no one is saying Milano is great or elite by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe that light bulb goes on or even explodes in year 5 but as so many posters have accurately stated, it's highly unlikely 49 plays to that 12.7M production. 

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

But even if Poyer saw that, I thought he should’ve been more diplomatic like “listen, we missed having Tremaine in there, but I thought AJ did an outstanding job.” Or “AJ isn’t Tremaine, we know that, but he really stepped up today.” I felt like his original statement diminished the importance of Edmunds to the defense.

I agree. He could've been a little kinder in his comparison. But sometimes players can be inadvertently "brutally honest".

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I still find it pretty damning that when AJ Klein had to step in for an injured Tremaine, Poyer said of the substitution, “there was no drop off at all.”

It's been the case that his replacement has shown little if any drop-off every time Tremaine has been out with injury.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I guess the real enigma is why 25% of Bills fans refuse to admit this.  I think the most devastating statistic on Tremaine's performance lies in the qb rating of 114 and 106 when he's been targeted these last 2 seasons.  I thought that was supposed to be his strength?  And no one is saying Milano is great or elite by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe that light bulb goes on or even explodes in year 5 but as so many posters have accurately stated, it's highly unlikely 49 plays to that 12.7M production. 

I do wonder where that supposed "strength" in coverage idea came from.  I've never thought that was his strength. Bill fennel cbs analysts with unbiased opinions even said don't drop edmunds into coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.