Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Mmmmhmmmm.  Last year I got flamed (by some), for hoping that we would trade edmunds for a 2nd rd pick so we can select Bolton.  A real MLB that has MLB instincts.  

I jumped off the delusional 49 bandwagon after his 2019 season. He's been gradually less impactful ever since. And I guess the biggest irony regarding Tremaine is the fallacy of his great cover skills. His qb rating when targeted these last 2 seasons are 114 & 106.  We have to trade him while we can still get a 2nd or early 3rd for him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I jumped off the delusional 49 bandwagon after his 2019 season. He's been gradually less impactful ever since. And I guess the biggest irony regarding Tremaine is the fallacy of his great cover skills. His qb rating when targeted these last 2 seasons are 114 & 106.  We have to trade him while we can still get a 2nd or early 3rd for him.

Too late my man.  Might be better off letting him go and counting towards a comp pick next year 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Mmmmhmmmm.  Last year I got flamed (by some), for hoping that we would trade edmunds for a 2nd rd pick so we can select Bolton.  A real MLB that has MLB instincts.  

I'm not sure they could have gotten a second for him last offseason.    Drafting a MLB in round 2 is a lot like drafting a RB that early though.   I want my all star personnel department to find that guy for less.

Edmunds' well documented issues and  inconsistencies his first 2 years were legitimately blamed on playing a new postion and being 20-21 years old. The sky was still the limit for him if everything clicked.

His 3rd season where everything was supposed to come together but didn't was blamed on a shoulder injury. His option was picked up.

This year, the 4th year he was healthy but plagued with the same issues again.  I think its safe to say that he is who he has shown to be all along and the hope that age and experience would fix his problems is just a pipe dream.

Edmunds is a hard worker, a good guy, an athletic freak that can move sideline to sideline and alter throwing lanes with his size.  Unfortunately he lacks the instincts, awareness, aggression, tackling, coverage skills, ability to shed blockers, and big play ability that the great mlb's in the NFL posess. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

Edmunds' well documented issues and  inconsistencies his first 2 years were legitimately blamed on playing a new postion and being 20-21 years old. The sky was still the limit for him if everything clicked.

His 3rd season where everything was supposed to come together but didn't was blamed on a shoulder injury. His option was picked up.

This year, the 4th year he was healthy but plagued with the same issues again.  I think its safe to say that he is who he has shown to be all along and the hope that age and experience would fix his problems is just a pipe dream.

Edmunds is a hard worker, a good guy, an athletic freak that can move sideline to sideline and alter throwing lanes with his size.  Unfortunately he lacks the instincts, awareness, aggression, tackling, coverage skills, ability to shed blockers, and big play ability that the great mlb's in the NFL posess. 

I agree… I don’t think he’ll have some kind of breakthrough season fans have been talking about since he was drafted.  He’s always going to be inconsistent.  His size and athleticism will help the defense and allow him to cover ground in zone defense.  But he won’t be the one to make the big INT or FF.  He’ll make tackles but very few of these will be a crucial stop behind the LOS when we need it.  

Ultimately I see him as being gifted but not a difference maker.  I don’t think you want to give this kind of player $12-$15M a season.  

But it sounds like the Bills think he can improve and will be willing to pay that.  I just am not as optimistic 

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I agree… I don’t think he’ll have some kind of breakthrough season fans have been talking about since he was drafted.  He’s always going to be inconsistent.  His size and athleticism will help the defense and allow him to cover ground in zone defense.  But he won’t be the one to make the big INT or FF.  He’ll make tackles but very few of these will be a crucial stop behind the LOS when we need it.  

Ultimately I see him as being gifted but not a difference maker.  I don’t think you want to give this kind of player $12-$15M a season.  

But it sounds like the Bills think he can improve and will be willing to pay that.  I just am not as optimistic 

This final 5th year (contract year) for him will determine everything. If Beane cannot find a trade partner we'll have to sit back and see how he plays. I just don't see him having that breakout season we've all been patiently waiting for.  And it will cost the organization an expensive 12.7 to get some closure. 

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Get Edmunds to take a team friendly deal similar to Milano.  Lower the cap hit for this year. Linebaker is very low on Buffalos list this offseason imo.  

I have no problem with keeping him if we can get him on a team friendly deal.   No, he's not the difference maker that we hoped he'd be, but he's still the primary reason we can play a 4-2 defense.  I think we need a real difference maker on the Dline.   We're still too ineffective there.  Would love a DT terror.

He is a better LBer than Milano. 

yes Bills should extend him. There is So much on his plate and gets little to no help from the DTs. 

remember Ray Lewis without DTs eating his blocks and making him fight blocks off. 

he is a top 15 MIke. In a league that needs both LBers to run sideline to sideline. So a 10-12M extension is fine for him. No one is saying he is worth the highest paid MIke in the league. 

sad thing Franchise Tag next year is not possible with him because of the Edge LBer getting lumped in there too. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

On 2/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, JohnNord said:

It does seem HIGHLY unlikely IMO that Edmunds will suddenly become a fast thinking, instinctive reacting LB and therefore become capable of making the big plays he to this point has not.

But not impossible.........Demario Davis and DeVondre Campbell would be examples of guys that became much better all around LB's 4-5 years into their careers after being low quality starters on their rookie deals.

The Bills made their mess with Edmunds and got themselves impaled on a $13M contract for 2022...........now they gotta' hope he corrects his issues..........I wouldn't touch his contract.........let him play it out and hope for the best.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

yes Bills should extend him. There is So much on his plate and gets little to no help from the DTs. 

remember Ray Lewis without DTs eating his blocks and making him fight blocks off. 

So just go out and get a Tony Siragusa and the Bills have another Ray Lewis on their hands?  :lol:

Edmunds simply doesn't make plays in any aspect of the game.

As @GunnerBill noted in the AFCCG.........one of the big problems Patrick Mahomes had was that he didn't have Logan Wilson on a string in coverage like he did wrong-way Tremaine.

• Like (+1) 3

My vote is no.  Or, if they do, they should move Milano.  Too much money invested in second-level defenders who don’t rush the passer.  I appreciate the argument that Edmunds covers a ton of ground in zone in this D.  But there’s only so much cash to go around, and on the D side of the ball I think we’ve learned it should go to pass disrupters, e.g., rushers, corners, or exceptional safeties.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So just go out and get a Tony Siragusa and the Bills have another Ray Lewis on their hands?  :lol:

Edmunds simply doesn't make plays in any aspect of the game.

As @GunnerBill noted in the AFCCG.........one of the big problems Patrick Mahomes had was that he didn't have Logan Wilson on a string in coverage like he did wrong-way Tremaine.

Yep go get a legit DT and Edmunds plays much better (already better than Milano) particularly against the Run. But man Milano can do no wrong with this Edmunds mob. 

the reality is Edmunds is a better LBer. The league sees it (See Salah) and the Bills see it. Look for an Edmunds extension this summer. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

he is a top 15 MIke. In a league that needs both LBers to run sideline to sideline. So a 10-12M extension is fine for him. No one is saying he is worth the highest paid MIke in the league. 

sad thing Franchise Tag next year is not possible with him because of the Edge LBer getting lumped in there too. 

I don't think he's better than Millano, but that may just be my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I don't think he's better than Millano, but that may just be my opinion.

Milano makes the same mistakes as often as Edmunds does from the easiest LBer position to play. And he his talked about as an elite LBer around here. 

edmunds has more on his plate with these defense. Makes the same mistakes Milano does and is talked like he is trash. 

Reality is Bills players have talked about all Edmunds responsibilities and how much he is asked to do. Why does the coaching staff put so many responsibilities on a “trash” player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.