Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Whatcha' think a $13M guaranteed contract MLB in his walk year who makes no big plays, is very inconsistent in run defense and is coming off two straight seasons of 105+ passer rating allowed is worth in trade?

With all the coaching changes,  we can always hope a Bill O'Brien-esque GM to come into power elsewhere and give the Bills something nice for him but I kinda' doubt anyone would give up much to put him at MLB and teams that think they can transition him to OLB aren't going to want to try that experiment at that cap hit. 

Likely a 4th or 5th+ a 6 or 7. .  If our plan is to move him outside with him being our 3rd LB like you suggested, I’d rather trade him for any draft pick we can get.  No way we’d give him the money someone else would following next season.  

I think we plan on keeping him in the middle and not add an additional MLB

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If anyone offered a 2nd round pick for him I would do it in a heartbeat. The only other option in my eyes is pay him 9M and tell him he's moving to the outside.

I'm so tired of safe bend don't break defenses. We've witnessed them throughout Bills history. Let Frazier walk and sign Fangio. Stick Tremaine outside where he's belonged since day 1 and let your defense be more aggressive. 

Edmunds belonged with Walt Corey.  We need a Talley.

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

A stud isn’t beat on a playoff winning TD.

Our guys were exhausted and no one is a match for Kelce one on one, Kelce needed to be double teamed. Milano has been great for us so to think one play makes him a bum you are sadly mistaken.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Our guys were exhausted and no one is a match for Kelce one on one, Kelce needed to be double teamed. Milano has been great for us so to think one play makes him a bum you are sadly mistaken.

He’s been good not great. Half the blown plays people who don’t understand the Defense Blame on Edmunds are his missed reads or failure to get off the block. 

A Great cover linebacker doesn’t get owned by a tight end there in that moment of that game. 

Milano is good, Tremaine is also good.  Neither is great and how they got on the team really doesn’t matter after they are it’s a sunk cost and irrelevant. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He’s been good not great. Half the blown plays people who don’t understand the Defense Blame on Edmunds are his missed reads or failure to get off the block. 

A Great cover linebacker doesn’t get owned by a tight end there in that moment of that game. 

Milano is good, Tremaine is also good.  Neither is great and how they got on the team really doesn’t matter after they are it’s a sunk cost and irrelevant. 

Kelce is not just some TE, no one can cover him , Milano is very important to this team, now and going forward

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Kelce is not just some TE, no one can cover him , Milano is very important to this team, now and going forward

The lack of standards around here is always telling. Milano is not GREAT. He’s often weak at the point of attack and strong physical running teams attack him. 

He has good instincts and plays decisively but is small, lacks strength and has marginal speed.  

Tremaine is literally the polar opposite. 

when Carolina’s D was it’s best with this scheme they had elite Linebackers at both spots. It’s a problem. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The lack of standards around here is always telling. Milano is not GREAT. He’s often weak at the point of attack and strong physical running teams attack him. 

He has good instincts and plays decisively but is small, lacks strength and has marginal speed.  

Tremaine is literally the polar opposite. 

when Carolina’s D was it’s best with this scheme they had elite Linebackers at both spots. It’s a problem. 

Lol, and Edmunds is half the player Milano is but keep going with the hot take. The reason our defense is soft is because they are coached to keep everything in front of them instead of being aggressive and attacking.

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lol, and Edmunds is half the player Milano is but keep going with the hot take. The reason our defense is soft is because they are coached to keep everything in front of them instead of being aggressive and attacking.

This isn’t a hot take pal. I’ve watched these guys for years. Milano is a very AVERAGE linebacker. People are distorted is how they see he and Tremaine because of how they were drafted. 

Just look for big plays that lose Bills playoff games and you’ll see plenty of 58. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Edmunds is easily the most devise player in some time.  He rarely makes plays and often appears to play poorly in games.  Yet the guys from Cover 1 will literally argue with fans on Twitter trying to show how great he is and why the problems on the field aren’t his fault. It’s bizarre.

Personally I don’t think he’s good enough and a big reason why this defense is soft

• Agree 1

I think a lot may depend on who the DC is going forward. If Frazier goes, McDermott could opt for a coordinator with a more aggressive approach with regard to the front 7.  Whatever is decided, it’s a certainty that the weak run defense has to be addressed. Edmunds is a liability defending the run. 

Edited by SoMAn

48 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think most would agree that Milano is better than Edmunds. And if every Bills 5th rounder was as good as Milano, we'd be building a float for a parade down Delware Avenue. Milano's range and instincts are excellent. Is he an All-Pro? No, but he's not anywhere near part of the problem either. Mahomes to Kelce have made plenty of excellent players look bad, no?

6 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I think a lot may depend on who the DC is going forward. If Frazier goes, McDermott could opt for a coordinator with a more aggressive approach with regard to the front 7.  Whatever is decided, it’s a certainty that the weak run defense has to be addressed. Edmunds is a liability defending the run. 

How much autonomy do you guys think Frazier gets? Is he not running the McDermott Defense?

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think most would agree that Milano is better than Edmunds. And if every Bills 5th rounder was as good as Milano, we'd be building a float for a parade down Delware Avenue. Milano's range and instincts are excellent. Is he an All-Pro? No, but he's not anywhere near part of the problem either. Mahomes to Kelce have made plenty of excellent players look bad, no?

It’s absolutely confounding how the same people can watch both these guys play at the same time and think one is incredible and the other is replacement level. 

They are both middling. One is an over achiever and one is an under achiever to but to roughly the same mean. 

also has anyone noticed when Tremaine is out they don’t move Milano to Mike? What does that tell you?? 

one is Doug Flutie and one is Rob Johnson.. neither are going to dominate a game when you need it, or make that huge play when it matters. 

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Move him from MIKE 

The Mike and the Will are pretty much indistinguishable in Leslie Frazier’s nickel package. His 4-2-5 is essentially Buffalo’s base defense at this point, and it unfortunately puts a lot of undue stress on Edmunds and Milano during the course of a game. Both are athletic enough to handle their jobs well, but an elite offense like KC’s creates too many additional problems when Buffalo’s defensive unit is already missing Tre White and is not getting enough pass rush and containment at the edges from the DE’s.

But the solution is not to get rid of Edmunds! He’s universally regarded among NFL coaches and players as no worse than among the top 20 LB’s throughout the league. With his elite athleticism and his young age (23.5 years old), he has room to grow. He’s a captain of what has been a top-3 statistical NFL defense for 3 of his 4 years in Buffalo. He’s already made 2 Pro Bowls and is a first alternate for this season.

Let’s also face reality: we’re stuck with Frazier, McDermott, and therefore Edmunds for at least another season. But that’s okay! The LB’s, DT’s, and safeties on this team are perfectly fine. What is needed is another starting CB opposite a healthy Tre White, a Pro Bowl-caliber DE, and better production from Epenesa/Basham/Rousseau.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I have an idea. Pay him $400k for every TFL he gets. That will save some money. My bad, I forgot he's a glorified CB. Trade him and get as much picks as you can.

That would be $10.4 million dollars over his first 4 years. Not too shabby. I think he has made about $12 million so far, so that's not too different.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.