Gabriel Davis on GMFB

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As for all of the needs you are talking about...........defensively there are more ways than one to do a better job against the Chiefs...........but it's likely you won't be able to hold them under 35 in Arrowhead in a playoff game either way.    

We had our chances to hold them under 35. We failed because of limitations at pass rusher, MLB, and CB. That's how we bridge the gap. You're basically saying try to build the team to win a shootout. I hate that philosophy. Shootouts are coin flips, sometimes quite literally as we just saw. Whoever has the ball last wins and it's impossible to control that outcome. I don't want the Chiefs pulling the Bills into a game of hot potato every year.

Pittsburgh stopped KC on 5 consecutive drives to start the game including one where they scored a defensive TD. That performance combined with our offense is a 28 point blowout over the Chiefs. I know TJ Watt and Cam Heyward aren't walking into OBD anytime soon. But I'd like to see us do whatever it takes to add a game changing front 7 player this year. Make a splash trade or FA signing. Give anything to make sure that a 35 year old Mario Addison isn't the Bills best opportunity at bringing Mahomes down behind the LOS.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve the defense. That certainly plays into McD's proclivities and our draft history. Nonetheless, coaching mistakes have occupied the majority of posts on 13 seconds. Best way to counter KC is to match them with playmakers on offense. We need to add a top end explosive WR to stress the opponents D even more and take some of the burden off of Allen.

i dont 100% agree...  i think as good as the offense is playing, a 1 player upgrade would be minimal.  get your d-line worked out and that shuts down a good offense and bolsters the secondary.   i dont care how much is invested right now in the D.  the D is where we see the biggest gains in a big game. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We had our chances to hold them under 35. We failed because of limitations at pass rusher, MLB, and CB. That's how we bridge the gap. You're basically saying try to build the team to win a shootout. I hate that philosophy. Shootouts are coin flips, sometimes quite literally as we just saw. Whoever has the ball last wins and it's impossible to control that outcome. I don't want the Chiefs pulling the Bills into a game of hot potato every year.

Pittsburgh stopped KC on 5 consecutive drives to start the game including one where they scored a defensive TD. That performance combined with our offense is a 28 point blowout over the Chiefs. I know TJ Watt and Cam Heyward aren't walking into OBD anytime soon. But I'd like to see us do whatever it takes to add a game changing front 7 player this year. Make a splash trade or FA signing. Give anything to make sure that a 35 year old Mario Addison isn't the Bills best opportunity at bringing Mahomes down behind the LOS.

we see things the same way...😃

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Oh I'm all for them improving the D.

And those are the positions I'd address..........sign Von Miller........sign DeVondre Campbell...........sign Donte Jackson.     All do-able if they make it to FA, IMO.

Move Edmunds to OLB and play more 4-3 to help stifle teams that are trying to run at you............and become much more multiple and opponent specific.  

Use the draft to add YAC receivers and speed and OL help for the future.

But don't get your hopes up that you are going to keep the Chiefs from putting up 5 TD's in a game where each team might have 12 possessions..........put the game in your QB's hands.     The Chiefs have spent a lot on D too and they play well but they know their identity..........they are Patrick Mahomes team and they don't take the ball out of his hands like the Bills did with Allen a few times Sunday.

And also don't think the Chiefs are just going to lay back and let you catch up to them............they greatly improved their OL and bolstered their defense this year.........they probably won't be as stupid as they were when drafting Clyde Edwards Helaire as a luxury pick with the Bills right on their tail now.    They will likely try to bolster their secondary and get even faster on offense now.   They won't be stationary.    LA and Denver(if they get Rodgers) will be after them in division too.

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh I'm all for them improving the D.

And those are the positions I'd address..........sign Von Miller........sign DeVondre Campbell...........sign Donte Jackson.     All do-able if they make it to FA, IMO.

Move Edmunds to OLB and play more 4-3 to help stifle teams that are trying to run at you............and become much more multiple and opponent specific.  

Use the draft to add YAC receivers and speed and OL help for the future.

But don't get your hopes up that you are going to keep the Chiefs from putting up 5 TD's in a game where each team might have 12 possessions..........put the game in your QB's hands.     The Chiefs have spent a lot on D too and they play well but they know their identity..........they are Patrick Mahomes team and they don't take the ball out of his hands like the Bills did with Allen a few times Sunday.

And also don't think the Chiefs are just going to lay back and let you catch up to them............they greatly improved their OL and bolstered their defense this year.........they probably won't be as stupid as they were when drafting Clyde Edwards Helaire as a luxury pick with the Bills right on their tail now.    They will likely try to bolster their secondary and get even faster on offense now.   They won't be stationary.    LA and Denver(if they get Rodgers) will be after them in division too.

Not totally disagreeing with you, but you could argue that one of Reid’s biggest blunders in the game was precisely that, taking the ball out of Mahomes hands on 3rd and 1 deep in our territory and running an incomprehensible option play that blew up in their faces. They ended up having to kick a FG instead of scoring a TD easily and taking command of that game.

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh called the ankle breaker route. Things we don't always know as fans. Elite QB's do so much more than we even know. Daboll is probably having success because of Allen.

I believe you are probably right...Brady after those first two years started to change plays regularly - sign of a QB who finally gets it making the need for a genius O coordinator not as important. Having said that you still need an O coord who can scheme for the games but the in game adjustments can be more of a QB-Coord tandem than just the coordinator. I didn't think much of Allen (other than a great arm) until this year but he has turned my perspective on him 180 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, Andy1 said:

Gabe is developing very nicely. I think we lose 2/3 of Sanders, McKenzie or Beasley. If so, they need to draft receiver. Either a big physical type or speed. Hopefully Stevenson also develops. 

If Sanders and McKenzie are gone, I vote for speed. If the Bills think he's the BPA at #25, I'd be very happy with Jameson Williams.  He happens to have good size at 6'2", but also has 4.3 speed.  He'd go higher except he had an ACL tear in the college post season.  If the Bills don't go that route,  I like a receiver I just learned about at Buffalo Rumblings.  Calvin Austin III is small, but may be the fastest player in the draft.  The Bills could get him in the second round and possibly the third, though the third round might take a trade up.  It would give the Bills a Tyreek Hill like receiver.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, whorlnut said:

Or how about this?  A round 1 WR!!!!  It can happen…we really can draft more than defense in the first you know…

How about no.

We have more than enough receivers in house. The more I think of the past season the more I think we make an effort to acquire the best CB available whether by Draft or FA. 

On 1/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, HappyDays said:

Rosseau could be that game changing player next season.   I  agree that we need to invest in another CB as our two safeties are long in the tooth and next year could be a break year for them and our CB1 is coming of a major knee injury.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, whorlnut said:

Are you serious?  Read his post. We need to make sure Allen has enough weapons and protection that he can sustain this kind of excellence. If you think we need to run it back on offense and blow everything on defense I don’t know what to tell you. Heck, we tried running it back with the same line as last year and look what happened. 

I agree and you better believe KC is thinking the same, how can they keep up in the AFC everyone is trying to get better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.