Mic'd up: Kelce outsmarted McDermott/Frazier

beebe

Guarding against the Hail Mary at best was dumb and worse playing scared. That is not “championship caliber.” And the most gut punching is fact that the timeout called by McD allowed Kelce to improvise and beat us. If we can see this as fan not sure how he doesn’t lose respect in locker room. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

That defense will be shown in coaching clinics on what never to do, for ever.    And  everyone on this planet except Frazier and McD, was saying to themselves cover Hill and Kelce.

Actually the more I watch it, the more fascinating it gets, knowing there were professional coaches, earning millions of dollars,  calling this defense.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How do you pride yourself on attention to detail and situational football and not kick it high to run click, hold the first play for penalty and then knock down inevitable Hail Mary that likely wouldn’t reach end zone. Sorry new poster but the clearer it becomes the more gut wrenching 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So…. What you’re saying…. Is that our defensive coaching staff was out coached by a TE?

The final 13 seconds really tick me off.  

We could have simply played our standard cover 2 shell and given up 10 yards per play and hosted the AFCCG.  We didn’t need to back off into prevent defense and give up 25 yards per play. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, beantownbill said:

How do you pride yourself on attention to detail and situational football and not kick it high to run click, hold the first play for penalty and then knock down inevitable Hail Mary that likely wouldn’t reach end zone. Sorry new poster but the clearer it becomes the more gut wrenching 

McD said he thought about the hold, which I dont believe because he didnt do it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GoBills17 said:

What could possibly go wrong with allowing a last second kick return in the playoffs?  Steve Christie, if you’re reading this please weigh in.

2 hours ago, y2zipper said:

It's a lot more complicated that this.

The reason McDermott lost the chess game is because his corner played the wrong leverage. It wasn't play selection.

The shell lineup is a disguise, and Kelce is supposed to think that the middle is going to be open. If it's an actual shell, the safeties stay closer to the deep middle and the corners are off on the outside to keep the play in front. When the ay actually develops, the safeties rotate to the outside and the corners are supposed to play the inside. The idea with 8 seconds left there is that Mahomes isn't going to be able to change the read and will either have to throw it away or throw into the double coverage.

What's supposed to happen instead is that Wallace is supposed to play inside leverage and funnel Mahomes' pre-snap read toward the safety help so Mahomes either has to throw it into the double coverage or throw it away and go for the hail mary. Instead what happens is that Levi plays the outside and there's no help in the middle.

I’m going to amplify this in a vain attempt to get y’all to put down the tar and feathers and point them in the right direction.

I have no idea if this is true, but it’s the most parsimonious answer and thus most sensible. When you consider the coaches took 2 time outs to see KC formations and had ample time to scheme—which makes more sense—the coaches being completely inept twice, or one player screwing up royally once?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m all for giving coaches benefit of the doubt but hard when we had 4 players  40 yards downfield, were playing defense with 7 and in the Kelce and Mahomes pressers after game pointed to knowing seam was open after the timeout. They then hit what was easy throw and catch without even really being contested. Tough to put all the blame on Levi when look at the entire picture 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills17 said:

I’m all for giving coaches benefit of the doubt but hard when we had 4 players  40 yards downfield, were playing defense with 7 and in the Kelce and Mahomes pressers after game pointed to knowing seam was open after the timeout. They then hit what was easy throw and catch without even really being contested. Tough to put all the blame on Levi when look at the entire picture 

But what if they were baited to think the seam was open only to have Wallace f&ck up and make it so? If executed correctly,  that’d be kinda brilliant.

5 hours ago, beebe said:

The video confirms some of the postgame quotes we saw. The Bills timeouts did indeed help the Chiefs. By the way, Kelce didn't speak very quietly even with Addison sitting right there? 

And Mahomes barking out his name, as if to say, "Cover him!" It's kinda wild. 

This is utterly embarrassing. 

Bye McD.

Yes it would but would you take your chance on playing cat and mouse and baiting Kelce or jamming at line and then having him tightly bracketed by Levi and Milano? If he makes unreal catch in double coverage so be it but that wasn’t even contested. They screwed up the kickoff, didn’t take holding penalty on first down and were outsmarted by Kelce… it just seems to be what happened based on the data points. Just really sucks as if any one of the 3 plays goes different they very likely win. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, beebe said:

The video confirms some of the postgame quotes we saw. The Bills timeouts did indeed help the Chiefs. By the way, Kelce didn't speak very quietly even with Addison sitting right there? 

And Mahomes barking out his name, as if to say, "Cover him!" It's kinda wild. 

What I find so interesting about this is that for all the hype about coaching, scheming, and so on, there is still ENORMOUS room in the game for athletes to simply go out there, ad lib a little, and make plays.

Run to the open spot and I'll throw you the ball.  It doesn't have to be a lot more complicated than that.

Makes me realize how important having the horses is.  Gotta have the athletes...that's 98% of the battle.

This is encouraging, as I firmly believe Daboll will be gone in a few days.

With Josh and guys like Diggs, we should be OK.

5 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Isn’t football just just incredible?!

12 months of planning.

18 Hour Days

7 Days A week

you ignore your kids, ignore your spouse

all in this Alpha Dog mentality to win at all costs.

and then …

a tight end (best in game mind you) says “huh…the seam is open.”

and the all that planning and prep comes down to #15 screaming “do it do it do it”

Sports…man.

Your comments echo what I just wrote myself.

It's not nearly as complicated as some would have you believe.

It's football--not AI development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.