Mic'd up: Kelce outsmarted McDermott/Frazier

beebe

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What I find so interesting about this is that for all the hype about coaching, scheming, and so on, there is still ENORMOUS room in the game for athletes to simply go out there, ad lib a little, and make plays.

Run to the open spot and I'll throw you the ball.  It doesn't have to be a lot more complicated than that.

Makes me realize how important having the horses is.  Gotta have the athletes...that's 98% of the battle.

This is encouraging, as I firmly believe Daboll will be gone in a few days.

With Josh and guys like Diggs, we should be OK.

Your comments echo what I just wrote myself.

It's not nearly as complicated as some would have you believe.

It's football--not AI development.

Well, I agree with your sentiment. But it also requires a coach/coaching staff who trusts their players and their instincts and values their input. That's what Andy has done in KC. When the Chiefs trailed by 10 pts, 8 mins left, facing 3rd-and-15 in the Super Bowl vs the 49ers, and Mahomes hit Tyreek deep, it was Mahomes - not Andy, not Bieniemy - who asked for that particular play call. 

I think McDermott is a really strong coach. He has his flaws like all of them do, and he's still learning, but from a leadership standpoint I think he is as good as anyone and he reminds me of a Mini Andy. That said, I think when push comes to shove, the Bills will ultimately realize that pairing Allen with an offensive minded head coach is going to be the best recipe for long-term, sustainable success. Andy has churned through several OC's in his time - from Pederson to Nagy to perhaps Bieniemy - all a result of the success of his offense. But Andy has been the stabilizing force and will continue to be as long as he's there.

Allen, if he stays on this track, will be earning OC's like Daboll their head coaching jobs too. But without that stabilizing force at head coach, it's going to be somewhat annoying to constantly re-learn or re-tool the offense every three years, unless the Bills are able to develop/promote from within and keep the same system intact.

Edited by beebe
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

One again McClappy has proven that in critical moments, he chokes.  Period.  Just an awful sequence of horrendous coaching that started with the kickoff.  McClappy may be great throughout the week, but on gameday, in critical situations, he's the last guy I want coaching my players.  Ugh.  No doubt, he cost us a Super Bowl.  Allen deserves better.  So depressing.

50 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

And there’s good old # 49 - Johnny on the Spot. Mr. First Down

If that's a comment on the Kelce catch its unfair.  Edmunds is lined up deep over Hill on the other side of the formation.  If anything the fact that Edmunds is in on the tackle shows his lateral speed.

3 hours ago, y2zipper said:

What's supposed to happen instead is that Wallace is supposed to play inside leverage and funnel Mahomes' pre-snap read toward the safety help so Mahomes either has to throw it into the double coverage or throw it away and go for the hail mary. Instead what happens is that Levi plays the outside and there's no help in the middle.

Maybe; or maybe not.  If Wallace is lined up correctly, the only inside help is Milano who appears to be dropping into zone.  Milano initially steps toward Hill and away from Wallace.  That opens up the middle for Kelce. 

Without knowing what defense was called you can't say who screwed up.  Wallace? Milano? Frazier? McDermot?

35 minutes ago, beebe said:

Allen, if he stays on this track, will be earning OC's like Daboll their head coaching jobs too. But without that stabilizing force at head coach, it's going to be somewhat annoying to constantly re-learn or re-tool the offense every three years, unless the Bills are able to develop/promote from within and keep the same system intact.

This is why if daboll gets hired away it's important to keep the same offensive philosophy, play-naming, etc.

6 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

#93 on the Bills Obada is lined up right near Kelce on the 2nd play. All he has to do is slightly get in his way or actually hit him within the 5 yards and either Kelce doesn't catch that ball or he does but there is no time left.   Instead he takes off on a fruitless pursuit of Mahomes! All because our bozo coaches instructed the Defense to rush 4 and even if the players thought that was a bad plan, they couldnt deviate from it. So frustrating to watch how easy that was for Mahomes and Kelce. The Bills player who tackles him is at least 5 yards away from Kelce when he catches it.  The Chiefs players and their fans must be laughing their asses off at our utter stupidity and caution on both those plays. Sickening!

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry about this. 

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry about this. 

Maybe some of our players should of done some freestyle of there own and disregarded the whole play call by McDermott and Frazier 

Frazier needs to go.  His passive defense is awful.  He can take Mr. Passive Tremaine Edmunds with him.  

2 hours ago, GoBills17 said:

Yes it would but would you take your chance on playing cat and mouse and baiting Kelce or jamming at line and then having him tightly bracketed by Levi and Milano? If he makes unreal catch in double coverage so be it but that wasn’t even contested. They screwed up the kickoff, didn’t take holding penalty on first down and were outsmarted by Kelce… it just seems to be what happened based on the data points. Just really sucks as if any one of the 3 plays goes different they very likely win. 

We just handed them the game with no resistance.  Not jamming Kelcie is absurd.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, beebe said:

Video also confirms Orlovsky's analysis of the play from yesterday.

Milano reading the QB'S eyes in this situation instead of understanding the game situation. I hate that our players couldn't react better to what KC was trying to do. I saw it from my couch and was screaming at the TV to tighten up on Kelce.

3 hours ago, Preds said:

One again McClappy has proven that in critical moments, he chokes.  Period.  Just an awful sequence of horrendous coaching that started with the kickoff.  McClappy may be great throughout the week, but on gameday, in critical situations, he's the last guy I want coaching my players.  Ugh.  No doubt, he cost us a Super Bowl.  Allen deserves better.  So depressing.

What were the other times?

I can't sleep man. How do Milano and Wallace not react better to Kelce here? It's driving me insane. It's TRAVIS KELCE! 

Both players know safeties are deep. Nothing to worry about there. Wallace knows there is absolutely no one else on that side of the field. Kelce then tightens up! When you see Kelce get tighter wouldn't you think something is coming? Mahomes screams to Kelce! 

It's going to haunt me.

8 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Let's be honest here.

McDermott is no match for Reid.

McDermott is playing checkers while Reid is playing chess

Reid didn't do it. Kelce created his own route based on what the Bills players showed. 

Just like on 4th and 13 TD to Gabe Davis. Allen changed Davis' route, not a coach. Players play!

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 3

90% of people in here have no idea what they’re talking about (I don’t either). All echo chambering the same drivel, it’s like a freaking episode of black mirror in here. 

You all really think the most likely scenario is that the Bills defensive coaching staff, who have near 50 years combined experience at the highest level of the sport, that they simply didn’t know what to do?

Or is it more likely that an extremely tired player had their brain freeze up in the moment and just accessed the wrong muscle memory at the worst possible time?

Look how close Hughes was on that pass to Kelce. If, as the poster earlier suggested, and Wallace played inside leverage and having the shell disguise trick the Chiefs into attacking a disguised double coverage, and Mahomes had to actually double pump it, Hughes crushes him. Holy crap, the whole thing, was a set up to fool the chiefs, and the four rushing lineman was a trick to manipulate the line call to get Hughes an open run at a sack fumble game over. It almost worked. McD said they practice that scenario over and over throughout the year, wanna guess what they likely were trying to do? Seriously, if you think the scenario of we’re up by three in Arrowhead with under 20 seconds left and Chiefs have all their timeouts wasn’t practiced day one in their first closed training camp. I mean come on guys, it’s just way too likely a scenario and would motivate the heck out of the players all year. 

Anyway, my favorite are the people saying that Diggs and Knox were taken out of the game so effectively, while Davis put up 201 with 4 tds, including a 75 yard bomb at the (first) key turning point of the game.

That sequence should have gotten the Bills the win, there should not have been a drive for KC with 1:54 on the clock. After that Davis bomb TD, iirc the defense got the stop and the bills got the ball back and went on the 17 play drive. Biggest reason they lost was the briefest lapse in execution by the Bills offense that lead to the 4th and 13 or whatever where Davis caught his 3rd td.

The goal was to score with under a minute and KC taking all their timeouts. That dump off to Singletary that he didn’t drop (or really whatever the play call was there possibly) was low key they reason the Bills lost, because they basically had to call a winning play there, there was no choice.

That drive was set up to be a 25 play drive to salt the game away going into the end zone like the first drive of the game. Think Texas vs USC style (honestly, Josh Allen’s performance in this game was really similar to Vince Young’s in that game).

You give the ball back with 2 min and three time outs to Mahomes, what do you think is going to happen? Worst part, they were already clearly spent, but then ended up chasing Hill 90 yards across the field on that touchdown and that just totally gassed them for overtime. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

this thread is not helping me move on 

We have Josh Allen and the rest of the AFC East doesn't.  Mahomes will have to deal with Herbert at least twice a year.  Burrow and Jackson will try and take each other out every year.  The AFC South is a joke without an elite quarterback.  We may not be the best team every year but because we play in the AFC East we'll be best positioned to get the #1 seed over the next five years assuming Beane and McDermott do their job.  This loss was BRUTAL but our future is bright.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.