$2.8M Bills Cap Space (after signing Reserve/Futures)

ColoradoBills

43 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It's going to be tight and we do have to watch how the restructures will impact future years. It comes down to what year or 2 you push the chips in, knowing that you will have one year where the bill comes due and you have to time that right. 

CB is not going to be a simple position to fill and I'm fairly certain Levi is gone, unless he takes quite a bit less...

I hope that we are nowhere near pushing the chips in.  The Bills overspent in some places and now you’re right, it is gonna be tight.  They have to be smarter and draft better going forward or they will have to make that decision on pushing in sooner than we’d like.  Here’s hoping we can be more like the Steelers and Ravens rather than the Eagles in that regard. 

I agree on Levi.  Some team will pay him.  The Bills should be quiet during the first wave (or two) of free agency.  They have to find a corner there though.  And then probably another somewhere in the draft.  I worry about when Tre will be back and rounded into form next season.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Lol.  It’s always so hilarious to read fans say that players should - or even better yet, WANT to - be paid millions less than what they are worth so that the team can get a ring.  But let’s get some stuff straight first.   Diggs did not get a raise.  The Bills converted some of his 2021 salary into a signing bonus to free up cap space.  He did not get any more money.  Also despite being a top 5 WR he is currently 17th in AAV.  That position will drop further after free agency, even after Amari Cooper gets cut.  Diggs should be comfortably top 10 at least.

Why should he take less than he’s worth?  So another player can get paid more?  So YOU can have a marginally better chance at seeing the Bills win a championship?  You want a man to give up eight figures for that?  And you want him to do it to play with a QB that didn’t give up a dime on his new contract (nor should he have)?  Please.  The man is one of the best WRs in the game (just ask anyone on this board) and he deserves to be paid as such.

lol…it’s always hilarious to read people that don’t understand contracts… or restructuring incentives into bonuses mean, or well business…. 

Or that lash out against incorrect inferences they make themselves 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I hope that we are nowhere near pushing the chips in.  The Bills overspent in some places and now you’re right, it is gonna be tight.  They have to be smarter and draft better going forward or they will have to make that decision on pushing in sooner than we’d like.  Here’s hoping we can be more like the Steelers and Ravens rather than the Eagles in that regard. 

I agree on Levi.  Some team will pay him.  The Bills should be quiet during the first wave (or two) of free agency.  They have to find a corner there though.  And then probably another somewhere in the draft.  I worry about when Tre will be back and rounded into form next season.

Oh we definitely have to worry about when Tre will be back and how well he will hold up over the season. It is a large concern of mine...

When I say push the chips in, I mean load up for a 1 to 2 year run (with some older fellas) and have 1 down year the following season with the expiring contracts. Look at how the Pats changed their team over the course of Brady's career - that is a bit more where I was going with that...

• Like (+1) 3

trade Edmunds.  Replace with Klien.  Draft replacement.  

I'm not sure cutting Beasley is a great idea.  He was big in the KC game, and we have little depth beyond Diggs and Davis.  

We need to draft a WR, and hopefully get an impact front 7 player in FA.  

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Oh we definitely have to worry about when Tre will be back and how well he will hold up over the season. It is a large concern of mine...

When I say push the chips in, I mean load up for a 1 to 2 year run (with some older fellas) and have 1 down year the following season with the expiring contracts. Look at how the Pats changed their team over the course of Brady's career - that is a bit more where I was going with that...

yeah, I'd love to get Wallace back, he had a similar PFF grade as Tre when Tre got hurt.  Jackson is a great backup, but I'm not sold on full time starter.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm not sure cutting Beasley is a great idea.  He was big in the KC game, and we have little depth beyond Diggs and Davis.  

yeah, I'd love to get Wallace back, he had a similar PFF grade as Tre when Tre got hurt.  Jackson is a great backup, but I'm not sold on full time starter.  

It's a tight rope to walk this year, but we will have multiple windows through Josh's career. A drafted wr will need a year or 2 to be able to be effective enough to be a regular player. Beasley I just don't know what we do with, his cap # is too high and I'm not sure he would take a cut to stay. I also balance that out with his social media this season I would imagine both Beane and McD were not happy with it. We may draft a WR, but don't be surprised if we go the vet route again to buy a little time.

OL is a concern since we will lose Feliciano, Morse would be a huge loss. OL in FA don't hang around long and you always over pay in FA. This position much like CB get even more overpaid due to the time it takes to develop them and there aren't a million of the like wrs and rbs.

With tre going down, I'm certain the scheme changed a bit to limit Jackson's exposure. He certainly got better playing, but I'm not sure I want him to be cb2. I almost think this is the position you spend on in FA or via trade and get a little splashy.

Edit: we also can't turn a strength into a weakness and limit our passing game options. We build on our strengths there

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I don’t know when, why, or who started this whole ‘unicorn’ thing, but can we just stop it already. 😏

Allen is a Unicorn standing on top of a Pegasus.  Accept it.

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Replace Edmunds with Klein watch Bills defense get lit up in the pass game.  He’s a run down LB.  You want to replace Edmunds you don’t do it with a guy like Klein.  

7 hours ago, Bills Maniac said:

Klein, are you kidding me.  He's been an awesome contributor when called upon.  He tied for the lead in sacks last year.  Don't blame him for them not putting him in on what should be countless packages as we love to live in Nickel and he's very good against the run and getting after the qb.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I love this time of year.. people saying to cut this or that player to create cap room only to over pay to bring in replacements… 

Or the replacement will be sitting there waiting for them to draft at the bottom of the 3rd and will be a starter off the bus 

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

If this team resigns Mac they can then either go with a veteran approach by signing someone like Sanders as a WR4 or they will have to draft a player in the first three rounds. Either way I like Beasley but I can see him as a cap casualty or they have to not resign Mac possibly. Lots of little decision to make on the roster. 

Trade Edmunds (not because I think he's a bad player), use the pick we get to draft his replacement, use the $12.5 mil savings to re-sign McKenzie, Bates, Wallace, Phillips, and if possible Hughes.

I really hope the Bills don't restructure too many players to free up space, that just pushes the problem to next year when we have even more FAs we need to sign and Josh's contract jumps up even higher.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or the replacement will be sitting there waiting for them to draft at the bottom of the 3rd and will be a starter off the bus 

This is kinda my point... What draft  value do you think Edmonds will have in when the new team also has to pay the guy $12 m... Are you confident you are drafting his replacement with the draft pick you get back ?

2 hours ago, Adam727 said:

Trade Edmunds (not because I think he's a bad player), use the pick we get to draft his replacement, use the $12.5 mil savings to re-sign McKenzie, Bates, Wallace, Phillips, and if possible Hughes.

We can make moves to free up $ from releasing players who have aged out, and replacing with younger guys.

Keep looking for offensive weapons & defensive playmakers in the draft like CB, Edge, TE, WR. We can find serviceable depth at OL, DL, LB. 

At the same time we need to find a new OC in the likelihood Daboll lands a HC job. Promoting Dorsey seems logical provided Schoen doesn’t poach him. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

This is kinda my point... What draft  value do you think Edmonds will have in when the new team also has to pay the guy $12 m... Are you confident you are drafting his replacement with the draft pick you get back ?

He was the starting MLB on *statistically* the #1 defense in the NFL this year and he's only 23 years old.  Am I off base thinking the Bills could get a mid to high 2nd round pick for him from a team that is rebuilding with a bunch of cap space?  

1 minute ago, Adam727 said:

He was the starting MLB on *statistically* the #1 defense in the NFL this year and he's only 23 years old.  Am I off base thinking the Bills could get a mid to high 2nd round pick for him from a team that is rebuilding with a bunch of cap space?  

Yes ...

I always like to flip these hypotheticals ...if he played elsewhere . . Would you want the Bills to give up a second round for him and pay him $12 m for a 1 yr rental?

One playmaker on offense (elite speed/shiftiness - could be a RB or WR) and one playmaker on defense (edge, CB, big/disruptive DT) would be my dream off-season.

Agree with poster who said that we continue to get beat by Hill, Kelce and Mahomes.  We're damn near even with the Chiefs across the board, talent-wise, but not playmaker-wise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.