$2.8M Bills Cap Space (after signing Reserve/Futures)

ColoradoBills

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Based on the simple tools they have i opened up 25 mil in cap space fairly easily.

Restructured Stefon Diggs
(Saved: $5,745,000)

Restructured Tre'Davious White
(Saved: $6,686,250)

Restructured Dion Dawkins
(Saved: $4,730,000)

Released Cole Beasley
(Saved: $6,070,576)

Released Tyler Matakevich
(Saved: $2,500,000)

Released Matt Haack
(Saved: $1,200,000)

Release Klein to save another $5.5 Mil and now you have money to make a run at Chandler Jones, Davante Adams, or trade for Mack, possibly two of the three.  Go full Rams mode.

Release Star I believe another $5-$6 Mil in Savings.  With the run defense being as porous as it's been, and his lack of dependability to be available on any given Sunday, no way they can justify bringing him back unless he agrees to a massive restructure as well.

Plus I remember reading the team rolled $10 million over in cap space as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

prolly not, but we can tread water w our jags w some restructurings and letting dead wood walk and make just enough room for a chandler, and basically hope to win in the draft.  I think that's how you win the chip next season.

we don't pay our guys any less in meaningful terms than KC or the rams do, but they have play makers all over and we simply have allen balling out of control and a bunch of like better jags.  

i'd rather draft a stud, but that's less likely than moving around money for jones imo

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Release Klein to save another $5.5 Mil and now you have money to make a run at Chandler Jones, Davante Adams, or trade for Mack, possibly two of the three.  Go full Rams mode.

Release Star I believe another $5-$6 Mil in Savings.  With the run defense being as porous as it's been, and his lack of dependability to be available on any given Sunday, no way they can justify bringing him back unless he agrees to a massive restructure as well.

Plus I remember reading the team rolled $10 million over in cap space as well.

we have so many guys on this team who barely play better than 1st and 2nd year players i see all over the place.

given that our wins were all 12+ points, and we lost every single close game, i don't think changing these dudes would be a huge problem.

our D balled out statistically this season, was pretty awful last season.  zero difference in results, we lost to the same team.  it was closer this season, but no thanks to our D, it was cuz allen just gets better and our 2nd year wr stepped up, our 3rd year rb stepped up, and a back up LG and a raw rookie RT improved 3 spots on our OL (since williams kicked inside to RG, where he is decidedly average but paid like an all pro)

49 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see much if any.  Josh is under his 5th year option this year.  His big hits don't start until 2023.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

2022 is not the 5th year option.  The 5th year option was a little over $23 million all cash & all on cap.  They restructured 2022 as follows.

Base salary $4,100,000, $500,000 workout bonus, and a $42,400,000 option pickup which they are spreading out over the next 5 years on the cap.  In total the Bills are paying Josh $47 million this new year, but because of spreading out last season's bonus (2021) over 5 years and this year's option over 5 years his cap hit got reduced from $23,016,000 to $16,380,000 while he's pocketing an additional $23,984,000 over what he would have received on the 5th year option.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Per Spotrac Link in OP above, Bills only rolled over $2.345mm

Yeah I read that wrong, just looked it up. Rolled over 2.3 giving them 10 before all the futures contracts they signed.

Either way, lots of fat to trim to get the cap # into a good place, as this team underperformed expectations in the regular season, and I don't see Beane taking the "run it back" approach again, he's too smart for that.

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

2022 is not the 5th year option.  The 5th year option was a little over $23 million all cash & all on cap.  They restructured 2022 as follows.

Base salary $4,100,000, $500,000 workout bonus, and a $42,400,000 option pickup which they are spreading out over the next 5 years on the cap.  In total the Bills are paying Josh $47 million this new year, but because of spreading out last season's bonus (2021) over 5 years and this year's option over 5 years his cap hit got reduced from $23,016,000 to $16,380,000 while he's pocketing an additional $23,984,000 over what he would have received on the 5th year option.  

I know all the internal numbers of his contract.  The fact remains his extension starts next year and all the change in cap hits for

this coming year is on what is his 5th year option.

In other words, Beane used the new contract to lower Allen's cap hit this year.  A year that he needs more cap to make a push.

Josh Allen is playing this year under his 5th year option.  He played 4 years under his original rookie contract, 1 year under his 5th and another

6 years starting in 2023 regardless of what the actual cap hit reflect.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

This. They could save another ~$10MM by cutting Darryl Williams and AJ Klein as well.

Use that money to get an impact player at either position.

Klein, are you kidding me.  He's been an awesome contributor when called upon.  He tied for the lead in sacks last year.  Don't blame him for them not putting him in on what should be countless packages as we love to live in Nickel and he's very good against the run and getting after the qb.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bills Maniac said:

Klein, are you kidding me.  He's been an awesome contributor when called upon.  He tied for the lead in sacks last year.  Don't blame him for them not putting him in on what should be countless packages as we love to live in Nickel and he's very good against the run and getting after the qb.  

I agree and also think Klien stays next year.  I'm going to speculate that Klien restructures by giving up some salary in return for more

guaranteed money.  I think he will do that and I think Beane will ask for it.

Based on the simple tools they have i opened up 25 mil in cap space fairly easily.

Released Cole Beasley

Released Matt Haack

We can definitely make some room. Next years FA is important. Knox, Singletary, Poyer, 5th year for Oliver. When we restructure 2022, it will pull from 2023.

Id prefer to open enough space to resign our own. Maybe a couple depth signings. But I’d hate to restructure in a year where McK and Philips are our biggest decisions, and be in a spot where keeping Knox, Poyer, and Ed eat up our entire space. 

The key is McBean getting more immediate production out of top 100 picks this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bills Maniac said:

You don't pay a backup LB $5+ million.  I get he's been solid when called upon, but you can't keep everybody and the value isn't there at that number.  He needs to be counting around $1-$2 Mil against the cap, tops.  

Bad enough we're on the hook for around $12.5 for Edmunds...

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

Released Cole Beasley

Released Matt Haack

Not sure that you can really save all that money in restructures 

release Addison, Hughes (or have him take a big cut), Feliciano, T. Jones. 

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

True, but then article then says it gives them 10.9m in cap space for next season. 

Unless this is after the 11 players signed to future contracts. 

The current Spotrac $'s I cited is after the Futures contract.

Technically every vet that is signed from now on with have to displace a lower player's cap hit.

Thus, resulting in a little less than his contract calls for.

I merely used today's numbers to start the season's discussion.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

How many players do we have under contract?  Our cap space need to be weighed along with that.

also

No other way around it....when you start paying a  unicorn QB you HAVE to draft well no more 2nd round picks sitting on the DNP and hardly giving any production.

I don’t know when, why, or who started this whole ‘unicorn’ thing, but can we just stop it already. 😏

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

We can definitely make some room. Next years FA is important. Knox, Singletary, Poyer, 5th year for Oliver. When we restructure 2022, it will pull from 2023.

Id prefer to open enough space to resign our own. Maybe a couple depth signings. But I’d hate to restructure in a year where McK and Philips are our biggest decisions, and be in a spot where keeping Knox, Poyer, and Ed eat up our entire space. 

The key is McBean getting more immediate production out of top 100 picks this year. 

I couldn't agree more.  Beane is looking out for the future and will do whatever he can to improve next year too.

I will be watching to see if some of the players he lets go to open up cap for re-signing of our own can be traded.

Every little bit going forward will help.  One of those late 3rd day guys could be a hit 2 years from now.

Released Cole Beasley

Released Matt Haack

If Morse retires (God I hope not) is that another 11 million?

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Cap space almost definitely is going up from the cut back last year

It will, but to my understanding it will go up to its pre-agreed maximum of $208M which is the figure Spotrac is working with

Beane may or may not read us some tea leaves in his post- season presser

My guess is that the Bills will clear about $16k of roster space with perhaps 2-3 cuts and a couple of re-signings or renegotiations.

They will use that to try to re-sign Phillips, Zimmer, Bates, and  yes, Wallace (sorry folks).

Neal, Boettger and McKenzie as lower priorities.

They will hope to have some cash after that to go after 1-2 mid-price FA for the returner/speed guy position and at DE.

I could be wrong and they might prioritize bringing back Hughes or Addison - I don't think they had the development that they want from the young guys at DE yet.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Not sure that you can really save all that money in restructures 

release Addison, Hughes (or have him take a big cut), Feliciano, T. Jones. 

Addison and Hughes are already free agents.  There is nothing to release.

Feliciano may be released, as may Ford.

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

$7.5mm savings.  $3.75mm Dead cap hit

If he retires, the Bills can ask him to repay the remaining portion of his amortized bonus.  I don't know if they would.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.