Sean Payton stepping down as the Saints coach

Greg S

6 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think if he leaves GB then Rodgers ends up in IND, PIT, or DEN, in that order of likelihood.

Leaving the NFC North will be bad for Rodger's career. I don't see him "owning" any divisional competition from those destinations. He has now what Brady had in the AFC East. Weak divisional foes.

8 minutes ago, Utah John said:

This is pretty logical, but you have to look at the AFCN teams too.  I think Pittsburgh will have to make a very bold and expensive move to bring in a QB. and it's not clear the Colts are set with Wentz.  The Browns keep adding shiny expensive toys sprinkled around their lineup but the downside is lots of guys not good enough to be competitive -- and Mayfield might be out, and the Browns really miss another top receivers.  So the Bengals to me are the AFCN favorites going in, and with their schedule, 13-4 doesn't seem out of reach.

Don’t sleep on the Ravens playing with a chip after they had 97% of their players put on IR in 2021.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Great coach. To get that roster with the three headed ugly monster at QB to 9-8 this year was a hell of a coaching job. 

I doubt he is done. Just done there. After a year or two out I am pretty sure he comes back. Mike McCarthy's seat just got a LOT hotter. He is the coach Jerry covets the most. 

Only problem I see is 2 control freaks butting heads. Remember Jimmy Johnson 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, theRalph said:

Leaving the NFC North will be bad for Rodger's career. I don't see him "owning" any divisional competition from those destinations. He has now what Brady had in the AFC East. Weak divisional foes.

They were discussing that on WGR this morning and made a similar point. They also said IND would be the clear #2 spot.

I agree and think he could similarly own the AFC South. TEN, HOU, and JAX could very well be worse than MIN, CHI, and DET, next year after regression to the mean. Plus, working with Reich, the Indy O-line, and Taylor could be enticing.

20 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Question...He has three years left on his contract with New Orleans.  Since he was not fired, would there need to be compensation to NO if someone tries to hire him as their head coach?  Is he free to take another HC position?

Compensation would be required unless NO for some reason terminates his contract. Kinda like when Marshawn came back to the raiders but the Seahawks technically still possessed his contractual rights 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

He might not want one. 

Maybe, but unless he’s got a health problem or family situation, I bet he coaches this year.  8 job openings and probably at least another 15 that would drop their current coach for him.  Heck, I like McDermott but I’d be mighty tempted to drop him for Payton.  

19 minutes ago, theRalph said:

He obviously is sticking this in someone's rear. 

Just like that contract ;)

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Great coach. To get that roster with the three headed ugly monster at QB to 9-8 this year was a hell of a coaching job. 

I doubt he is done. Just done there. After a year or two out I am pretty sure he comes back. Mike McCarthy's seat just got a LOT hotter. He is the coach Jerry covets the most. 

I think the DC deserves a lot of the credit.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.