Future is bright here! Andy Reid "couldn't win the big games" now he's about to coach in his 4th Super Bowl

TheFunPolice

For those criticizing McDermott, I say a little perspective is needed. He's a great young coach, who has created a strong culture here. AND if you get to a lot of playoff games, you'll have a lot of chances. Good coaches and good players are going to win eventually. 

Andy Reid, the loveable guy who "just couldn't win the big games" has a look at this:

Coaching in his 4th Super Bowl, with 1 title already

Coaching in his 3rd Super Bowl in a row, something only Schula, Levy and Belichick have done

Moving from #5 to #4 in all-time HC wins in the next 1.5 seasons 

Moving from #4 to #3 in all-time HC wins if he coaches another 6-7 years (he's only 63 now)

Possibly even move to #2 all-time behind only Belichick or Schula, depending on how long Bill coaches

If Bill retires in a year or two, there is a decent chance that Reid ends up with more wins all-time as a HC. 

What does this have to do with McDermott?

People were saying the exact same things some are saying now about McD: he can only take you so far, etc. 

No. You find a very good coach (and McD is a very good coach IMO) and you keep him. There are so many bad HC in the NFL. Keep building the program, and a guy who takes you to the playoffs year after year is eventually going to bust through. 

Unless it's Aaron Rodgers (sorry I couldn't resist) 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

You find a very good coach (and McD is a very good coach IMO) and you keep him. There are so many bad HC in the NFL. Keep building the program, and a guy who takes you to the playoffs year after year is eventually going to bust through. 

Exactly. To me, the Steelers are the model. Three coaches in 50 years. Stable ownership. A history of success. Even with 72 year-old Big Ben QBing from a stretcher, Tomlin has never had a losing record as HC. That’s the model. That’s how you keep the window open for as long as possible. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jimmy10 said:

Exactly. To me, the Steelers are the model. Three coaches in 50 years. Stable ownership. A history of success. Even with 72 year-old Big Ben QBing from a stretcher, Tomlin has never had a losing record as HC. That’s the model. That’s how you keep the window open for as long as possible. 

Disagree on that.  I'm OK with more than 3 coaches in 50 years.

Bills fans have an irrational fear of coaching changes because we have made a thousand of them in our history, and almost all of them were horrible decisions.  😂

That doesn't mean a coaching change has to be inherently feared or somehow bad moving forward.

It is certainly fair to suggest that for a while there, the knock on Andy Reid was he couldn't win the big game.

I remember like 5 years ago Mike Schopp making a quip on the radio that he would NEVER take KC on a bet in the playoffs b/c Andy Reid has "won nothing".

He made a big deal out of it at one point in time...

He's shut up on that point in more recent years!

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is Schottenheimer 2.0

Never winning any championship with him. Doesn't have it in him. How many games did the Bills fail to put away this year?

These idiots were protecting the sideline against a team with timeouts. You can't make this stuff up. How about not putting a body on Kelce. Even the Chiefs were like how stupid are the Bills. UNBELIEVABLE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Did we miss something?   Did the Chiefs already beat the Bengals?

I will be rooting for the Bengals this Sunday. If Burrow gets sacked 9 times again, if they let Hill or Kelce have a big day like Brown did against them, and give up 140 yards rushing again they will get run out of the stadium. I doubt Mahomes throws 3 picks like Tannehill did which ultimately gave them the game.

Just now, Evian said:

Never winning any championship with him. Doesn't have it in him. How many games did the Bills fail to put away this year?

These idiots were protecting the sideline against a team with timeouts. You can't make this stuff up. How about not putting a body on Kelce. Even the Chiefs were like how stupid are the Bills. UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll remember when you said "Never win a championship with him" . Bold Bills got a very good team next 12-15 years with Allen. That was such a arrogant, stereotype, opinion post here. 

You think like this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Evian said:

If McDermott goes 2-10 in the postseason from here until the end of his career, he’s Marty Schottenheimer.  Feel like taking that bet?

5 minutes ago, Evian said:

Marty? McFly? Is that you returning from the future with a sports almanac? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Evian said:

They weren't protecting the sideline. They wanted KC to throw it short. I wish McDermott would go into detail his plan but its obvious to me they wanted exactly what they got but thought they'd make a tackle quicker.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They weren't protecting the sideline. They wanted KC to throw it short. I wish McDermott would go into detail his plan but its obvious to me they wanted exactly what they got but thought they'd make a tackle quicker.

Wrong. Look at the million pictures on the internet. The left the middle of the field wide open. WIDE OPEN.

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Andy Reid learned from his early failures,  he was not afraid of firing assistants.  Let's see if Sean is willing to let Frazier go so this team can have a defence capable of winning playoff games.

McDermott isn’t afraid of firing assistants either.  Rather than keeping coaches out of loyalty like Chan Gailey or Doug Marrone would do he got rid of underperforming coaches like Rick Dennison, Danny Crossman, and Juan Castillo.  

Despite the last :13, Frazier has not underperformed.  There’s not a doubt in mind that McDermott will move on from Frazier if he feels it’s necessary based on his track record

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

If McDermott goes 2-10 in the postseason from here until the end of his career, he’s Marty Schottenheimer.  Feel like taking that bet?

I will take the bet he never gets this team to a Superbowl.  I could care less about your record unless you win a Superbowl it is meaningless.

The only thing that will keep Josh Allen from winning a Superbowl is Sean McDermott.  Get a real coach and we will win multiple Superbowls. Keep the Clapper as our headcoach and we will never win a Superbowl.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.