With McDermott, you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Success

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

The Bill's missed White lots vs the Chiefs. One of the things keep haunting me. If had White... He greats at shutting WR, granted might gave up yards but not in a big way. Would make Mahomes thinking even for a second longer.

He’s is very good at tackling too. 

• Like (+1) 2

Remember how everyone was saying to fire McDermott after the loss to NE?  And how the Bills would’ve luck to finish 8-9?  No one overreacts like Bills fans.  I agree with what @Bangarangsaid.  McDermott will get hired in a second if the Bills moved on.  The Pegulas have made some bad decisions but not that bad.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Remember how everyone was saying to fire McDermott after the loss to NE?  And how the Bills would’ve luck to finish 8-9?  No one overreacts like Bills fans.  I agree with what @Bangarangsaid.  McDermott will get hired in a second if the Bills moved on.  The Pegulas have made some bad decisions but not that bad.

We're a special kind of damaged at this point 😂

Yeah that loss sucked bad. Let's not get crazy, just about everything about this team is somewhere between above average to elite.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Success said:

Same with Beane.  We have a coach & GM who have turned this team around COMPLETELY from the drought years.  They've brought in the right players, coached them up, gameplanned well and changed the culture.  

The Buffalo Bills are now one of the best teams in the league, and have a window that's open for miles.

I don't know what happened in the last 13 seconds of that game, but clearly, coaching errors were made.  From the kickoff, to the soft coverage, to singling on Kelce, to rushing 4.  But I saw those kinds of coaching mistakes all weekend, in all 4 games.  McVeigh is generally considered one of the best up & comers, and that game was almost a comedy of errors while the Rams gave up a 20 point lead and almost let that slip away. And look at Reid, who we all agree is one of the top coaches in the league now - Philly fans celebrated when he moved on.  He had years of futility in big games there, and was particularly known for terrible clock management.

We have a good one.  McD may never be elite, but there are so few elite coaches out there.  He's very good, and you stick w/ that.  He'll keep learning, and keep getting better in these situations.

Great post. I'll add:

Let's assume there is a badass, elite coach out there who is definitely better than McD. (I'm sure there is, somewhere, somehow. No on is arguing that McD is the greatest coach of all time.) Given their history with the Bills and Sabres, what on earth makes people think that the Pegulas are just the owners to find that coach? Or Beane? He's never hired a coach. Even the best football minds (not the Pegulas, though their hearts are in the right place) struggle to find good coaches. It's as hard as finding good QBs. Most teams miss a lot more than they hit. The odds of this leadership group finding a better coach than McD are super low.

As many have said, one of his greatest strengths is his willingness to self-assess and to work on his weaknesses. And he seems to be very ego-free in terms of his relationships with his staff and players, so he will continue to try to bring in the people that can help him. Let the man grow. Let him evolve. Let him coach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

Same with Beane.  We have a coach & GM who have turned this team around COMPLETELY from the drought years.  They've brought in the right players, coached them up, gameplanned well and changed the culture.  

The Buffalo Bills are now one of the best teams in the league, and have a window that's open for miles.

I don't know what happened in the last 13 seconds of that game, but clearly, coaching errors were made.  From the kickoff, to the soft coverage, to singling on Kelce, to rushing 4.  But I saw those kinds of coaching mistakes all weekend, in all 4 games.  McVeigh is generally considered one of the best up & comers, and that game was almost a comedy of errors while the Rams gave up a 20 point lead and almost let that slip away. And look at Reid, who we all agree is one of the top coaches in the league now - Philly fans celebrated when he moved on.  He had years of futility in big games there, and was particularly known for terrible clock management.

We have a good one.  McD may never be elite, but there are so few elite coaches out there.  He's very good, and you stick w/ that.  He'll keep learning, and keep getting better in these situations.

You sound like a domestic abuse victim when you say this... 

But I was so sad before him, and I know he's not perfect, no one is. He just needs another chance. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

When you can lead a team to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor as your QB, you are an elite coach IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

You sound like a domestic abuse victim when you say this... 

But I was so sad before him, and I know he's not perfect, no one is. He just needs another chance. 

This is just a ridiculous and offensive analogy.

Patience in times when things don't go well oftentimes is the better path forward than reacting out of emotion.

This team needs the stability that they have at GM, head coach, and QB1. 

If McDermott and his staff don't learn and grow from this ending of the season like they did with how last season ended (going for it 4 times on 4th down against KC on Sunday after kicking field goals last year), then there needs to be serious questions.

But, now is the time to just worry about replacing Deboll and any other coaches that are hired away and trying to improve the roster heading into next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don't want to fire McDermott.   I'm pretty fed up with Frazier though.  

That being said, McDermott deserves the heat he's getting.  He literally lost us this game.  Live and learn, but there's a reason why people around the league feel sick for Bills fans... it's not often a team loses a game, of this magnitude, due to a complete coaching meltdown.

Heat?!? He would probably laugh at a comment like this. If we let him go, he's not gonna be unemployed for long. Also, if we win the coin toss and score a TD, Reid would have had the coaching meltdown. Reid's coaching was just as bad. Some here missed that. 

Coach has shown time and time again he can adapt and grow.  I trust we’ll get better as a team from these last two years of heartbreak.  He’s done nothing but show the growth mindset and kept the team humble and hungry.  I believe it in my bones that we’ll make some good changes to the roster for next year and come out swinging.  

6 hours ago, Success said:

If this team goes on to finally win a SB in the next few years nobody will care much about this loss.

But on the flipside, you still have to consider that team has reached their ceiling with McDermott and he's not the long term answer and/or the guy that Allen will win a SB with.

He's not on the seat in 2022, but nobody can sit here and say he's 100% safe if this team fails in the postseason again next year and heaven forbid loses to the Chiefs for the 3rd straight year. This is realistically when a change could happen.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don't want to fire McDermott.   I'm pretty fed up with Frazier though.  

That being said, McDermott deserves the heat he's getting.  He literally lost us this game.  Live and learn, but there's a reason why people around the league feel sick for Bills fans... it's not often a team loses a game, of this magnitude, due to a complete coaching meltdown.

The brain fart heard round the world.

3 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

Patience in times when things don't go well oftentimes is the better path forward than reacting out of emotion.

This team needs the stability that they have at GM, head coach, and QB1. 

If McDermott and his staff don't learn and grow from this ending of the season like they did with how last season ended (going for it 4 times on 4th down against KC on Sunday after kicking field goals last year), then there needs to be serious questions.

But, now is the time to just worry about replacing Deboll and any other coaches that are hired away and trying to improve the roster heading into next season.

u know JimBob its not even that I think a majority of posters wouldn''t call for a firing if they thought it was indeed warranted. It reads to me that a majority of folks who post here think McD is not perfect but keeping him right now is practically a no brainer for allll the reasons mentioned. Continuity, record, culture, even achievements. Looking for a coaching unicorn and finding one is Not the same thing. People want the sure thing coaching hire  Unicorn..it doesnt exist!!!  To me u fire McDermott for a severe downturn in the franchises record. We are nowhere near that place obviously

I mean coaching changes happen and WILL happen with this team, possibly Daboll or Frazier. as you stated.. in the front office they already have. NFL= Not For Long..unless you have McDermotts record as coach here.......a fanbase needing a coach would want he and Beane and thank their lucky stars to have them.   I consider McBeane a unit that won't be divided. Glad they are ours Yes.

m

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.