Miscommunication on Kick Off

njodogg

Side note on special teams.  Earlier in the game, we have our best punt of the game to pin them back.  On top of it the get a block in the back trying to spring Hill.  Our specialty gunner, on team for this purposes, runs of the field while covering kick.  Off setting penalties, re-kick, Hill huge return which altered our decision process for later in the game.

Jones should never take that penalty, this is his sole job on the team......

9 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Jiminy Christmas!  He's got it so turned around he's using the wrong words in his press conference!  

It's a pandemic of miscommunication if you ask me. 

Haha yes fair enough. I just can't imagine what the OP said is completely true with that level of dysfunction. Talks about the s/t coach resigning and implies frazier wanting to get out. 

Edited by london_bills

1 hour ago, njodogg said:

Apologize if this has been mentioned but wanted to share. 

I received a text message today from a buddy who is connected to plenty of Beat Writers and Pod Casters. He said his source said there was serious miscommunication on the kick off

" Mcd wanted to Squib. Message was never got to Bass. Farwell had them huddled and didn't tell him to Squib. Mcd and Frazier apparently got so flustered that players didn't know what to do on defense. The players wanted to run Quarters coverage. It was all botched. The phrase "most absolutely botched thing I've ever seen" from source. And Frazier wants out, wants Chicago job" 

He also heard that Farwell is "resigning"

Bye bye Frazier don’t let the door hit u on your way out bud. Go get me Fangio or Zimmer . Preferably Fangio because he’s not getting another head coaching job and he knows how to slow down the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

Something like the rumors in the OP make as much as sense as anything.

If anything, despite the confusion and chaos, it shines a more positive light on McDermott specifically, and the coaching staff in general.

If this is all true, it is of course totally unacceptable, but it doesn't surprise me that it happened---if it did.

Confusion often prevails in battle.  

"War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty."

-Carl von Clausewitz

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Only an idiot would willing admit to a situation as described above.  Poor execution by staff and team?  Sure.  We all saw that.  Failure to get a called play in followed by frustration and disarray?  No.  Even if true you can’t tell the world that.  It is so much worse.  You just have to learn from it an make sure it never happens again. 

Yeah that is true that he wouldn't admit to such miscommunication. I'm taking him too literally perhaps. I just think that it's not as bad as the OP is saying that the s/t Co ordinator will resign and frazier needs out, that they were flustered. I just think that Mcd got super cautious as he has done before, I can believe that he wanted it kicked out the endzone. Then the prevent defensive plays were so cautious

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

I don't believe Mcd wanted to squib. Let's see on farwell. Just can't be that much dysfunction 

I think it depends on what you think of McDermott to begin with.

Those who support him will be inclined to believe something like this rumor.

Those who dislike him will assume it's a lie fabricated to protect his reputation.

I would hope he's smart enough to have wanted a different kick than what he got--but then again--he does come across like a glorified gym teacher and always has.

44 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Still gutted. But the kick off was not the issue. Defensive scheme on the next two plays was the death blow. The fact that #10 turns a five yard pass into a 19 yard gain- mind boggling. Then the next  play allows TE to run unmolested for 23 yards reception - utter atrocity. (Their names deliberately omitted). Madden rolled over in his grave muttering his famous "prevent defense" quote. He was right!

Levi Wallace (who really needs to be replaced and could be the slowest starting CB in the league) should have knocked Kelse on his ass as soon as he left the line of scrimmage.  He did nothing just like he did on the Tyreek Hill TD.  We need speed and athleticism at the position.  Enuf w Levi.  Time to draft a CB that can come in and compete for a starting job.  Maybe that's Dane Jackson next year.  But our defense as a whole is not good enuf to win a Super Bowl.  I think we all saw that on Sunday nite.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It is my opinion that people make way, way, WAY too much of the kickoff. 

The Bills shouldn't have lost REGARDLESS of that.

Opposing team at the 25 yard line with 13 seconds left? Still no excuse to give up those defensive plays. 

Too much emphasis on the kickoff part, as if THAT was the most egregious error at the end of that game. The defensive playcalling on the final two plays of regulation is to blame. Coach can say all he wants about "execution", but rushing four linemen when everyone knew Mahomes would have to throw immediately is a coaching error. Rush two, drop nine, don't give so much cushion. Why do 10-year-old Madden players know more about how to handle that situation than guys like McDermott and Frazier? It's madness.

A FG attempt would have never been made if they had kicked it properly, that is the whole point. They would have only had 1 play and then a hail mary instead of 2 and then a kick. It was a monumental error...

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

A FG attempt would have never been made if they had kicked it properly, that is the whole point. They would have only had 1 play and then a hail mary instead of 2 and then a kick. It was a monumental error...

I get the point.

MY point is that there have been a few dozen instances since 1994 of a team going up by at least 3 and kicking the ball off with less than 15 seconds left on the clock. None of those teams lost. NONE of them. What the Bills did was historically inept and improbable.

I understand why the kickoff mattered. But people also need to understand why the kickoff wasn't the main thing that cost us the game -- the defensive playcalling that followed it was.

I know a guy who knows a guy....   Complete BS.  

Sal on WRG yesterday said he was right there with Jay Feeley and asked him at the time if the Bills would squib kick.  And a former NFL kicker said they shouldn't, that you kick it out of the end zone and rely on your D to play for 13 seconds.

They lost the game because the D played to not lose instead of to win in those 13 seconds.  And if Frazier supposedly wants to leave because of that, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

McD will have to chew on this for months now.  He has to decide if being aggressive on offense, as he did and rightly so, should be matched with being so passive on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think it depends on what you think of McDermott to begin with.

Those who support him will be inclined to believe something like this rumor.

Those who dislike him will assume it's a lie fabricated to protect his reputation.

I would hope he's smart enough to have wanted a different kick than what he got--but then again--he does come across like a glorified gym teacher and always has.

But I must admit, when the ball was kicked out the endzone, I didn't think they would get to field goal range in two plays. It's very cautious but I wonder what people were thinking at the time of the ball going out the endzone. Romo didnt like it

1 hour ago, njodogg said:

Apologize if this has been mentioned but wanted to share. 

I received a text message today from a buddy who is connected to plenty of Beat Writers and Pod Casters. He said his source said there was serious miscommunication on the kick off

" Mcd wanted to Squib. Message was never got to Bass. Farwell had them huddled and didn't tell him to Squib. Mcd and Frazier apparently got so flustered that players didn't know what to do on defense. The players wanted to run Quarters coverage. It was all botched. The phrase "most absolutely botched thing I've ever seen" from source. And Frazier wants out, wants Chicago job" 

He also heard that Farwell is "resigning"

Sadly Frazier will never get a HC job,  he is boring & conservative.  I am sure Bears fans see him as another Dick Jauron clone,  no unless Sean is told to fire him by the Pegulas were stuck with this loser.  Screaming he wants.....please do us all a favour and leave

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I know a guy who knows a guy....   Complete BS.  

Sal on WRG yesterday said he was right there with Jay Feeley and asked him at the time if the Bills would squib kick.  And a former NFL kicker said they shouldn't, that you kick it out of the end zone and rely on your D to play for 13 seconds.

They lost the game because the D played to not lose instead of to win in those 13 seconds.  And if Frazier supposedly wants to leave because of that, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

McD will have to chew on this for months now.  He has to decide if being aggressive on offense, as he did and rightly so, should be matched with being so passive on defense.

Exactly

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yeah that is true that he wouldn't admit to such miscommunication. I'm taking him too literally perhaps. I just think that it's not as bad as the OP is saying that the s/t Co ordinator will resign and frazier needs out, that they were flustered. I just think that Mcd got super cautious as he has done before, I can believe that he wanted it kicked out the endzone. Then the prevent defensive plays were so cautious

I was assuming that the crux of the story was true - that McDermott wanted a squib, which didn’t get through to the kicker, and that there was some disarray at the end of regulation.  While I’m not taking the full report as gospel - things get embellished - the basics seem plausible if not probable based on what we all saw.

Caution is often the result of disarray and uncertainty.  When in stressful, high stakes situations it’s better to not make the situation worse if you can’t make it better.  But obviously that is not nearly as good as being prepared and actively and calmly navigating those situations.

The team that had the coaching staff and team that was better prepared for that incredibly frantic and stressful situation won the game.  That makes sense because they had the far more seasoned HC.  Reid was in McDermott’s shoes when he was in Philly where he fared no better than McDermott did Sunday.  And if we would have won the OT toss, we’d still have won the game.  To be clear, I’m not beating up the coaches here.  They already have brought the Bills a long way.  They need to learn and grow from this game so that next time we can get over the top.  If they do, then this will be looked at as a galvanizing moment for the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Levi Wallace (who really needs to be replaced and could be the slowest starting CB in the league) should have knocked Kelse on his ass as soon as he left the line of scrimmage.   

If you pay any attention to the Bills, week to week, it is impossible not to notice how often opponents throw at the Wallace coverage.

Are they stupid?

Draw your own conclusion.

I know I have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.