McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

Publicly apologize to the city and fans?

Dude, you have some serious issues. Get help.

I, personally, would like McDermott to do the GoT walk of shame through the city of Buffalo for losing us that game.  

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well he does resemble Scott Norwood a lot. 😔

He's got years of missing routine extra points and FGs to enter Norwood's domain. One of the things I notice when rewatching old games is how lucky they were for every made PAT. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I, personally, would like McDermott to do the GoT walk of shame through the city of Buffalo for losing us that game.  

Appropriate considering the last 13 seconds of this game was like being denied Margaery Tyrell's walk.  

Edited by benderbender

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ever managed a team of people? 

yup every day

I have been a plant manager for 7 years now and have had a manager title with people under me for 21 years who is very well versed in Toyota Manufacturing and Business processes

And your point it what exactly? That he can only be focused on the defense and just let special teams be on the most important kick off of the year? You really don't think he was involved in that situation and just let it be? No direction or communication with the STs whatsoever? But yet, as he has said: "This is Leslie's defense", and he micromanaged the hell out of that?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It would have been one damn gutsy call though 👍

Yes, going for 2 and not making it would have SEEMED terrible, but think about it for a second.  Let's say that we were 2 pts ahead in the last 13 seconds, doesn't it seem logical that we would have played tighter at the end, thinking that by allowing that yardage would result in a LOSS rather than a tie.

Sure, a tie is a bummer but better than an immediate loss!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Totally agree with this.  I wish fans on this board would follow the example of that 25 year old QB.  In his interviews with the press, not once did he point the finger at anyone.  In fact, he said even had things played out differently in those last 13 seconds and in OT, that would not have guaranteed a Bills win.  They are learning from this and moving on.  That is called emotional intelligence.  That is another reason why this QB is as great as he is.

2.5 days in, let me be as objective as possible. 

We are not Josh Allen and there is a reason why the word fan is a diminutive. The ‘13 seconds’ is ALL on the Head Coach to defend the wunderkind performance of his young Superstar QB! 

He failed miserably, both in the Squib Kick option and the setting of the Defense to prevent that FG. The ONLY goal in these efforts is to preserve victory, through the elimination of a very scarce commodity- TIME! Thus, with that small amount left in the game, you must, must eliminate 6-7 seconds through a squib kick, even if the return man gets to the 35 or 40. That leaves ONE and only one attempt to get 30-40 more yards. For that play, you must hold, disrupt, etc. both Kelce & Hill for another 5 seconds.

Which leaves KC with one Hail Mary attempt from the 50 assuming a Holding Penalty call!

So, it is more than reasonable for angry fanatics to demand that their HC explain, why those things weren’t accomplished, let alone, apparently not even thought of! 

Full disclosure:

I am one who normally thinks that Prosecutors & Investigators of major crimes should never disclose the hidden details of how they reached their successful guilty goal. 

Likewise, if in Pro Sports, a HC or Manager has an advantage, insight, detail as to why success occurred, he/ she is a fool to disclose it. 

HOWEVER, the only down side to McD telling his version of what he planned and executed, would be to disclose that he wanted to Squib Kick for future, similar, situations. And after a Billsy Millennium of total FUBARs and hell, he should of.

NOT to throw anyone under the Bus, just to confirm that he knows the correct strategies and that those will be rectified in the future.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

yup every day

I have been a plant manager for 7 years now and have had a manager title with people under me for 21 years who is very well versed in Toyota Manufacturing and Business processes

Thoughts on the Toyota Supra? I am approaching midlife crisis. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Alpha, this has been discussed here.  @BADOLBILZ posted some analysis on it, I posted some analysis on it.  And there are different ways of looking at it.

-If you want to look at draft pick investment, you can look at (say) picks in the top 3 rounds since 2018 and say it's roughly equal between offense and defense.  6 picks on defense, 7 on offense.  If you want to go back to 2017, 7 picks on defense, 9 picks on offense (These are both counting the trade for Diggs as a 1st round pick)

-Another way to look at it though, is that we have 1 (or 2, counting Diggs trade) first round pick on Offense.  We have 3 on Defense.  Then if you look at FA acquisition, we have signed an additional 3 former first round picks on D - and Zero former first round picks on O

It's certainly incorrect that "we have ONLY addressed the defense for 5 years" .

But I think it's a fair POV that we have WEIGHTED our investment, through FA acquisitions and top draft picks, towards defense the last 5 years

It does not help that two of our second round picks on offense Zay Jones and Cody Ford, appear to be busts (and possibly a 3rd round pick on offense in Moss).

See now this is a fair assessment, good post.  I do have a few counter points that need to be considered though:

1. We have invested more picks on offense than you guys have tallied.  We used multiple picks on Allen, Diggs, Ford, and Knox to trade up get all of those players.  Those have to be accounted for as part of the investment into the offense, especially since some of them were premium picks. 
  2. Fans still over emphasize the first 2 rounds.  Rosters and championship teams are built through out the draft.  The OP I objected to seems to only count the first 2 rounds as how we address positions.  Yet our day 3 selected players in Davis, Singletary, Knox, Brown, Milano, etc have all been vital parts of our team and some of our best players this year.  
  3. We have hit bigger on key offensive additions, meaning less holes to fill, in both the draft and free agency signings.  Allen and Diggs are grand slam additions.  Cole Beasley was a tremendous FA grab.  When you hit on your first try with some of the best at their respective positions, it means less needs to be addressed.  

So for me, I think it can be argued we have invested more into the offense in terms of draft picks when you factor in the cost to move up and get some of those guys, and there has been a balance of building and addressing needs on both sides of the ball. 

End of the day, some people like the OP I think are just still salty we went DE back to back last year, because there are not real merits to his actual claims that we have prioritized the defense for 5 years.  I mean we are also the top offense in the league over the last 2 years, that didn't just magically appear.  Again, those comments not directed to you at all, but back at the OP I responded to.  Your post was a fair and well composed counter point.  

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

yup every day

And your point it what exactly? That he can only be focused on the defense and just let special teams be on the most important kick off of the year? You really don't think he was involved in that situation and just let it be? No direction or communication with the STs whatsoever? But yet, as he has said: "This is Leslie's defense", and he micromanaged the hell out of that?

Then, surely you have had something come up that was a pressing matter and you had to trust your subordinates to run things while your attention was one a priority matter, correct? You would assume they would run things they way you have it in your mind but they have different ideas

All I'm saying is it happens. Focusing on the defense and trusting his ST coaches knew what to do is very plausable.

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

What picks were they Einstein ?  Are you telling the Bills should trade every year there First, Second, Third round picks for fourth, Fifth, Six round picks.  Every Other teams GM’s would love you “Yeah you don’t need your  first, second, third round picks give them to us because you have fourth, fifth and a six round”. 

The fact you think only the first 2 rounds matter tells me I don't even need to discuss football with you again.  Especially on a team that has Milano, Knox, Davis, Singletary, Levi, Brown, etc on it all playing vital and impactful roles who did not come here the way of the first 2 picks.  Literally you have not said one factual or relevant thing in this discussion...just whining about a handful of early picks in the draft as if that is the only thing that matters to building a team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.