McDermott should say he took over defensive play calling the last 2mins

Rigotz

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol…No it’s not gonna affect his chances.  Did it cost Kyle Shanahan his shot when he choked away the SB with a 28-3 lead?  They aren’t going to sit back and say it was Fraziers fault.  Mahomes and Kelce are special and the D was gassed.  Plus the squib kick didn’t happen, which is seen as the main reason.  

Doesnt mean he was ever getting a job, but nothing has changed in terms of teams interest in him.  If they wanted him before that they will still want him now.

Most certainly was, but that defense called was just as much imo. I could get it a little better if KC had no T.O's. They had all 3 in their pocket and you just can't call that type of D in that situation, especially when PM is the QB.

Even as stupid as the NFL is, no team is going to base a major hiring decision on a single play or final 2 minutes of a single game....they are going to base it on a large body of work.

The conversation stops right there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Ridiculous - Leslie Frazier has had top 5 and top 10 defenses for 4 out of the last 5 years, without any real superstars.  Yes, they got burnt by the Chiefs, but who hasn't?   The Chiefs have a great offense and they are playing on all cylinders right now.   

I think many of these teams that are looking for coaches would love to have a top 5 - top 10 defense.   That's not to say that he should be a head coach, but he has been a very good defensive coordinators for the Bills.  It's easy to say "fire him" which is ridiculous, to replace him with someone better that shares McD's philosophy would be difficult.  

If you've paid attention to this organization in how they operate from the Pegulas, to Beane to McD they all preach continuity.  This team most likely will look to hire from within to elevate to the position and hopefully the person they elevate will be someone who can add a wrinkle or two to the defense.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First of all, whatever you think of McDermott and Frazier, they are both men of character and integrity.  It is and should be the highest priority to maintain that.

Second, I expect that prospective employers are going to pay far more attention to what's said in private and in interviews than to what's said in a press conference.  There are probably a dozen guys who have some idea what actually went on, on the sidelines, in the last couple minutes of the game - coaching assistants, AV guys, trainers, players.  All these guys know people who know people on other teams.

Bottom line, useless and counterproductive notion.

Besides - how do we know that in fact McDermott DIDN'T weigh heavily into the defensive play calling in the last 2 minutes?  We've seen him on "mic'd up" sessions talking to the defensive captains during time outs and he's acknowledged weighing in at times before.

I'm not sure about "the corner there is supposed to play inside leverage". 

Erik Turner has some stuff up in his twitter feed

When you look at Turners film it’s rediculuos to see how open they left the middle of the field.  Way too much space and ground available to Kelce.  It’s like they conceded the FG to stop a TD attempt.  

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

When you look at Turners film it’s rediculuos to see how open they left the middle of the field.  Way too much space and ground available to Kelce.  It’s like they conceded the FG to stop a TD attempt.  

Yeah, I'll never understand it. Also it's almost like they thought KC didn't have any TO's.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It does look that way.

It reminded me of the Houston playoff game, where yes, you want your safeties to play deep, but not so *****in' deep they give up the first down (which they did)

I don't know whose mistake it was, but it was clearly a glaring mistake

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Ridiculous - Leslie Frazier has had top 5 and top 10 defenses for 4 out of the last 5 years, without any real superstars.  Yes, they got burnt by the Chiefs, but who hasn't?   The Chiefs have a great offense and they are playing on all cylinders right now.   

I think many of these teams that are looking for coaches would love to have a top 5 - top 10 defense.   That's not to say that he should be a head coach, but he has been a very good defensive coordinators for the Bills.  It's easy to say "fire him" which is ridiculous, to replace him with someone better that shares McD's philosophy would be difficult.  

If you've paid attention to this organization in how they operate from the Pegulas, to Beane to McD they all preach continuity.  This team most likely will look to hire from within to elevate to the position and hopefully the person they elevate will be someone who can add a wrinkle or two to the defense.

Eric Washington most likely, if anything changes.

What I would like to know is what was different in our defense Sunday compared to when we beat them earlier in the season. Is Trey White's presence the only thing? Did we play the same style of defense and just had more luck and made a couple of more plays in the previous game or did we tinker with what worked? I dont really remember enough about what we did the first time to know. If it was different on Sunday then why? If it wasnt different then why was it mostly ineffective? 

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Most certainly was, but that defense called was just as much imo. I could get it a little better if KC had no T.O's. They had all 3 in their pocket and you just can't call that type of D in that situation, especially when PM is the QB.

Yeah, but they also do not know what happened on those plays, and will hear Fraziers side of it still.  We don't know if it was Frazier or if the players poorly executed what was intended.  

Just saying, they are not going to give up on Frazier over that if they felt he was the right guy.  Anyone in the NFL knows its never a single persons fault.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It does look that way.

It reminded me of the Houston playoff game, where yes, you want your safeties to play deep, but not so *****in' deep they give up the first down (which they did)

I don't know whose mistake it was, but it was clearly a glaring mistake

Sean McDermott calls time out and re-position the players at the end of the games it happens all the time. I’ve seen him overrule a blitz call in Arizona before the  Hail Murray. He does the same conservative thing. He’s very stubborn. I was at the Houston game and I knew we were gonna give it up at the end because he has a pattern Being too conservative and  put the players way back. It seems like they’re stuck in a spot and told to stay there. I’ve seen it games that are one scores game. 

I was at the Houston Bills game the year before and Jerry Hughes came off the field yelling why can’t we blitz. Frazier has said that coach McDermott doesn’t like to blitz. 

McDermott is running that defense and he is the one making the calls at the end of close games watch him on TV. 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, but they also do not know what happened on those plays, and will hear Fraziers side of it still.  We don't know if it was Frazier or if the players poorly executed what was intended.  

Just saying, they are not going to give up on Frazier over that if they felt he was the right guy.  Anyone in the NFL knows its never a single persons fault.  

Yeah 100% agree regarding the Frazier talk. Just saying the defense called during that 13 sec factored about the same as not squib kicking did imo. I really feel it was the Defensive play calling the 13 sec and not anything executed poorly or not. With 13 on the clock only needing a FG along with all of their TO's, I was/still am baffled at Defense called.

3 time outs is main thing for me, made no sense the D falling that far back in what certainly seemed like prevent to me. When considering not only the QB we were defending, he also had his time outs. In that situation it's no question to stay with the same D you've played all along imo

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First of all, whatever you think of McDermott and Frazier, they are both men of character and integrity.  It is and should be the highest priority to maintain that.

Second, I expect that prospective employers are going to pay far more attention to what's said in private and in interviews than to what's said in a press conference.  There are probably a dozen guys who have some idea what actually went on, on the sidelines, in the last couple minutes of the game - coaching assistants, AV guys, trainers, players.  All these guys know people who know people on other teams.

Bottom line, useless and counterproductive notion.

Besides - how do we know that in fact McDermott DIDN'T weigh heavily into the defensive play calling in the last 2 minutes?  We've seen him on "mic'd up" sessions talking to the defensive captains during time outs and he's acknowledged weighing in at times before.

I'm not sure about "the corner there is supposed to play inside leverage". 

Erik Turner has some stuff up in his twitter feed

Why the free release from Kelce,  Sean & Frazier screwed up as bad as you could in the most critical time of the game.  The Hill pass was not much different,  wide open and no resistance at the line.  By the way the Bills could have just tackled one of the two on both plays and only receive a 5 yard penalty,  that is within the  new rules.  On both play Mahomes gets the ball out fast and they still only had 3 sec left,  had he have to hold on to the ball they would have run out of time even with timeouts.  Stupid coaching and now we watch the Chiefs go to another Super bowl

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

It was his call.  With 13 seconds they called a TO before each play KC ran,  McD got the team in and formulated a plan with the staff.  It was 100% his call he is the Head Coach.

If he not making the call there that's an even bigger issue.

Tasker and Brown on OBL stated they run those scenarios at the beginning of every practice.  McD admitted that execution was lacking on the kick off and the 13 second sequence  Frazier and McD put in the work and the players are suppose to execute. 

• Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry, just wanted to add regarding my response....all game Bills D played to keep KC from the big play. They certainly picked the worst time to go away from that imo

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah 100% agree regarding the Frazier talk. Just saying the defense called during that 13 sec factored about the same as not squib kicking did imo. I really feel it was the Defensive play calling the 13 sec and not anything executed poorly or not. With 13 on the clock only needing a FG along with all of their TO's, I was/still am baffled at Defense called.

3 time outs is main thing for me, made no sense the D falling that far back in what certainly seemed like prevent to me. When considering not only the QB we were defending, he also had his time outs. In that situation it's no question to stay with the same D you've played all along imo

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Frazier, I believe, wanted the Chicago job.  It looks like Ryan Pole from KC will be hired as their next GM.  I don't believe Frazier is under consideration by the Bears for HC.  I believe second interviews are Quinn and Caldwell.  

Yeah I think the same.  From what I have seen and heard, it seems the only place that really had any traction was Chicago in terms of interest in Frazier.  And now it seems the GM they are bringing has his eyes set on those other 2 like you mentioned.  

I would like to see a change at DC personally, but if Frazier doesn't get the HC offers, I assume he is going to be back unfortunately.  I want to see what another DC can do with Edmunds this year as well.  We have some decisions to make, and I think a lot of the issues with Edmunds could be tied to how he is used.  I would like to see him used in a more aggressive role, the way Parsons is used in Dallas, and see how he responds.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.