McDermott should say he took over defensive play calling the last 2mins

Rigotz

Prior to Sunday's game, Leslie Frazier had a small chance to become a head coach.

That would have netted us two third round picks due to the Rooney rule. He's not worth that.

After the 13 second debacle, I think that chance has slipped down to 0%.

So, I'm curious what you all think about this idea...

If McDermott states in his next press conference that it was his decision to play conservative in the last 2 minutes (or even 13 seconds) ... does that salvage some of Frazier's marketability? Even if it creates a 1% chance, it's good for the organization and he should jump on the grenade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Prior to Sunday's game, Leslie Frazier had a small chance to become a head coach.

That would have netted us two third round picks due to the Rooney rule. He's not worth that.

If McDermott states in his next press conference that it was his decision to play conservative in the last 2 minutes (or even 13 seconds) ... does that salvage some of Frazier's marketability? Even if it creates a 1% chance, it's good for the organization and he should jump on the grenade.

Nobody is going to believe it.  The only chance there is if there is a franchise Quarterback comes out next year.  So a team who fired there coach needs that Qb so they need a fall guy to get them to go 0-18 or 17 whatever the NFL extends the season to.  So who better then to fill that role then Lesile Frazier,  hell he can blame the media and ownership for his teams debacle.

• Vomit 1

15 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Frazier's very much worth that. 

We'll be lucky either way, getting the picks or having him stay.

Oh, and yeah, I bet there are a ton of teams out there thinking, 'Hey, that guy couldn't stop Pat Mahomes playing out of his mind, let's not hire him.'

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think he should tell the truth

This'n. And he will.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott isn't going to say this,  but the pre-snap line up on the plate I got the Chiefs into field goal range doesn't matter because it's a coverage disguise. 

The play was two deep disguised as a shell. Pre-snap it is supposed to look like the middle of the field is wide open but then postnap the quarters are supposed to play inside of forced the receivers to the outside so the pre-snap read and the post-snap read don't match. The corner there is supposed to play inside leverage to force Kelce to break to the outside where there is safety help but instead the corner played the outside and Kelce got to the middle.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

First of all, whatever you think of McDermott and Frazier, they are both men of character and integrity.  It is and should be the highest priority to maintain that.

Second, I expect that prospective employers are going to pay far more attention to what's said in private and in interviews than to what's said in a press conference.  There are probably a dozen guys who have some idea what actually went on, on the sidelines, in the last couple minutes of the game - coaching assistants, AV guys, trainers, players.  All these guys know people who know people on other teams.

Bottom line, useless and counterproductive notion.

Besides - how do we know that in fact McDermott DIDN'T weigh heavily into the defensive play calling in the last 2 minutes?  We've seen him on "mic'd up" sessions talking to the defensive captains during time outs and he's acknowledged weighing in at times before.

13 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

McDermott isn't going to say this,  but the pre-snap line up on the plate I got the Chiefs into field goal range doesn't matter because it's a coverage disguise. 

The play was two deep disguised as a shell. Pre-snap it is supposed to look like the middle of the field is wide open but then postnap the quarters are supposed to play inside of forced the receivers to the outside so the pre-snap read and the post-snap read don't match. The corner there is supposed to play inside leverage to force Kelce to break to the outside where there is safety help but instead the corner played the outside and Kelce got to the middle.

I'm not sure about "the corner there is supposed to play inside leverage". 

Erik Turner has some stuff up in his twitter feed

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Because McD is sooooo involved in the defense, losing Frazier has less impact and may indeed have some benefits, picks being one of them.

Daboll would be a huge change though.

Anyhow, to me, if they stay, fine. If not, part of the game. The Bills will move on.

Josh seems a leader enough to voice his opinions if a new OC is hired, and has learned 95% of what he could learn from Daboll, which makes it not that dire either.

For all their failings, you don't get such stats as this year with bad coordinators! 

• Agree 1

Frazier is a good coach. If we lose him there is a learning curve for the new guy, unless he has prior DC experience and is respected and trusted by the players. The Bills shouldn’t be throwing anyone under the bus. Especially Frazier the dude who just got a #1 ranked D from a team that lost its best corner with 5 games to go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah they did

Getting draft picks is fine, but fixing such issues is more important. At the level where Bills are competing, we will need a steady DC who wont panic or try to get too cute in critical situations. We have to overcome the Chiefs barrier in the playoffs but need to also keep in mind that we need to better counter act teams such as the Titans and Colts. 

• Agree 1

Frazier needs to go, period.  The D was way too soft and predictable all game long, really, all season long, and last year also.  Bend and don't break is great against the Mac Jones, Jets, Falcons, etc.  We faced 2 elite QB all season long.  We went 1-2.  We got shredded by Brady in the 1st half of the Tampa game, then lost in OT.   We beat Mahomes in the regular season when he was adjusting to new coverage looks from D's, and lost in the Playoffs (again), after he figured out the defense we and others used against him, yet we used the same D against him as in the regular season that he clearly figured out by that time.  

Next year we face several elite QBs.  

We need a better DC.  Not pressing at the LOS on Kelcie and Hill w/ 13 seconds left is horrid.  

46 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Frazier is a good coach. If we lose him there is a learning curve for the new guy, unless he has prior DC experience and is respected and trusted by the players. The Bills shouldn’t be throwing anyone under the bus. Especially Frazier the dude who just got a #1 ranked D from a team that lost its best corner with 5 games to go. 

#1 ranked D was inflated by facing 2 elite QB's all season long.  It was a cupcake fest.  And lets not forget his inability to stop the Colts.  They scored 45 points on this D running the ball all game.  Frazier is bad.  Timid, bad, and does not understand that his scheme does not work with our personnel.  If we had a guy like TJ Watt it may work, but it does not work with average front 7.  It's putting a TON OF pressure on the secondary, which held up really well all year.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

You guys are nuts. No way do the Bills act this far out of character.  Additionally, McDermott, Frazier and Dabol are staying in Buffalo unless and only if Dabol or Frazier are offered HC opportunities elsewhere. The Pegula’s have publicly mentioned the value of continuity.

With that said, the Bills will take a hard look at roster and schemes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It may be very likely that they bring in some different assistant coaches and maybe even a “consultant” of some sort to help with the D. (Yes the #1 D). 

Three glaring issues on the Defensive side to fix:

- Get home pass rush that results in sacks

- softness against the run

- Too much reliance on soft coverage 

I’m curious to see what the offseason brings. I really believe the Bills will be even better next year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

It really is not necessary regardless of the exact circumstances here.  He’s the HC.   Ultimately it is his responsibility.  He chooses his staff, he chooses how involved to be in scheme, preparation and play calling - and in what situations to do so.  Ditto for personnel on the roster (along with Beane, whom he chose) and on the field.  McDermott should be first and foremost where responsibility is concerned, be it good or bad. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You guys are nuts. No way do the Bills act this far out of character.  Additionally, McDermott, Frazier and Dabol are staying in Buffalo unless and only if Dabol or Frazier are offered HC opportunities elsewhere. The Pegula’s have publicly mentioned the value of continuity.

With that said, the Bills will take a hard look at roster and schemes, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It may be very likely that they bring in some different assistant coaches and maybe even a “consultant” of some sort to help with the D. (Yes the #1 D). 

Three glaring issues on the Defensive side to fix:

- Get home pass rush that results in sacks

- softness against the run

- Too much reliance on soft coverage 

I’m curious to see what the offseason brings. I really believe the Bills will be even better next year.

I agree with all the above. But to the bolded about getting home. We do seem to consistently fall short. Sunday's game however felt like a containment issue rather than Mahomes being squirmy. We would get guys up the middle, but then there is no DE to keep him in side. Or the left side would win their battle and the right side would be nothing but green grass. Really frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

No team hiring a retread like Frazier after Sunday,  Frazier is just a puppet for Sean and his conservative coaching ways.  Remember Sean got fire by Andy Reid because he could not carry on how Jim Johnson coached and called defensive plays.  Johnson was an attacking/blitzing style DC cordinator and Sean wants to be conservative and keep everything in front.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

I don't know, he may still become a head coach.

Do the 49'ers regret hiring Kyle Shanahan after the way he choked in the Super Bowl a few years ago?

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Lol…No it’s not gonna affect his chances.  Did it cost Kyle Shanahan his shot when he choked away the SB with a 28-3 lead?  They aren’t going to sit back and say it was Fraziers fault.  Mahomes and Kelce are special and the D was gassed.  Plus the squib kick didn’t happen, which is seen as the main reason.  

Doesnt mean he was ever getting a job, but nothing has changed in terms of teams interest in him.  If they wanted him before that they will still want him now.

Edited by Alphadawg7

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Its no longer enough to just be better than they were this season. Reid, Vrabel and Reich will also be trying to do it. The goal should be to leapfrog the others else we will forever be playing catch up with the Chiefs the way Marino & Shula did in the early 90s

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.