ESPN Top 50 Free Agents

Royale with Cheese

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As many have said, picking up Gescki would be huge. But it would require him to take a little less than 10-12M which he's projected. He would also be making more than Knox which might not go over well. Max Williams would be a more affordable TE2 and great blocker. I think either Scherff or Chandler Jones will be the big FA haul costing approx. 16M/yr. Our future CB2 will come in the 1st round. 

Dream big... Scheff AND Chandler Jones...

41 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills are in a far different position with Josh leaving his rookie deal. 2021 you saw a much more conservative approach. Retaining the teams own talent was their big moves (sizable deals given out to Milano, D.Williams and Mongo) and they supplemented through the draft mostly. I think this off-season will look similar to 2021. They will likely resign their own players (Phillips, Wallace, T Jones, Mac and Hughes or Addision) and then maybe make one or two mid-level additions like the Bills did with Sanders and Trubisky. 

Which would be great, keep the talent you have, add a bit of depth and a role player and then fill out your remaining needs via the draft. 

What you say doesn't change my point, which is that the Bills are not likely to be chasing other teams' big name free agents.

• Like (+1) 1

DJ Chark is one I would look at - he has near-elite upside and has to be respected with his speed.  Has been trapped in a dumpster fire FO/QB situation and would be a massive add to this offense.  He has shown game-breaking abilities.  With Adams/Godwin and others drawing humongous numbers, he is one you can get to come to Buf for a "prove it" under JA and let him test the market again after a massive year/2.

23 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

1. Of those "Top 50" MAYBE 20 will actually hit the market.

2. Did I say 20? More likely 10-15.

3. JC Jackson will not live up to a FA contract. He's not as great as he's made out too be...and will be vastly overpaid by someone IMO

Here we go with the Zack Ertz & JJ Watt garbage again....I hate this stuff :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think Schreff is excellent, however he will be extremely expensive. I'd take Conner Williams at a lower price. If Mitch Morse calls it quits as is being speculated...Bradley Bozeman is a great target. Austin Corbett has versatility to play G/C. Another less expensive "good get" IMO. 

I am with you on Chark. I think he's got real potential to break out on this offense. Gesicki was criminally under used in Miami. 

That's provided any of those players even see the FA market, of course. 

Who is speculating?  Fans?  Makes no sense, coming off his best season and is only 29.

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's free with Disney+.   As is Hulu.   So any fan of pop culture(Marvel, Star Wars, Disney animation) or practically anyone with kids, a tv and a job probably pays for ESPN insider (or steals it).

So while I would never pay for it exclusively........show me someone who doesn't have it and I'll show you someone still using a dial up modem who has only ketchup and Coors Light in their fridge.  ;) 

I have Disney+ and didn't realize Insider was included. I know ESPN+ is, but didn't know about insider. Thanks for that info

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It's nice that it's not behind a pay wall. Thank you. Here's another: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/. You can sort by position, type of free agent, etc. and it also provides the market value for more attractive free agents.

The Bills are not going to sign high-priced "I've heard of him free agents." It's not what they do. Only a few of you are actually thinking like Beane.

Truth. Here are Beane's notable free agent signings by year:

2017: Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Stephen Hauschka, Taiwan Jones, Leonard Johnson

2018: Vontae Davis, Chris Ivory, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, Matt Barkely

2019: Spencer Long, Cole Beasley, John Brown, Frank Gore, Mitch Morse, Jon Feliciano, Quinton Spain, Ty Nseke, Tyler Kroft, Kevin Johnson, Andre Roberts La'Adrian Waddle, EJ Gaines, TJ Yeldon, Lee Smith

2020: AJ Klein, Darryl Williams, Brian Winters, Mario Addison, Quinton Jefferson, Vernon Butler, Tyler Matakevich, Josh Norman

2021: Mitchell Trubisky, Matt Breida, Efe Obada

I might have missed a few. The point is obvious though.

While I agree in the past Beane hasn't picked up too many high priced FAs, it takes two to tango.  Imagine if Olson chose us, or Watt. Those are both big name players

What I have seen, is Beane doesnt throw out large contracts in FA.  He prefers 2 year deals with flexibility to adjust on the fly.  I could see him trying to entice a pretty decent FA to come to Buffalo and be the player to put us over the top.

I also believe we will only sign 4-5 players this year, Beane structures his roster so he doesn't need to bring in 10+ new faces (2019 being the outlier).  Expect 2ish depth players, 1-2 key backups, 1-2 potential starters. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If you are guaranteed a Super Bowl then yes you go with the one Super Bowl but if your choice is a 50% shot at a Super Bowl one season and then plummeting your odds for the next 9 years or a 25% shot to win each year for the next 5 years which one are you taking? Right now I think the Bills are approaching it as though the playoffs are a complete crap shoot and you are best off trying to get as many opportunities to come out on top as opposed to betting hard on a short term run. 

I think the Bills right now are best to bet on their own drafting and player development and not make too many splashy moves that may cripple the team long term and not have the desired impact short term anyway.

ESPN+ is fantastic for hockey, esp for an out of market fan. The rest on ESPN+ is mostly filler but the amount of hockey games you get with it is a great value. 

Combine ESPN+ with Disney, those 2 channels are on in my house most nights. I watch that more than Directv. It's a great value.

I watch all Sabres and Bonaventure games. Plenty of other hockey and college BB on if you want.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Meanwhile, two of the teams that were aggressive in the off-season(and trade deadline) and don’t shy away from big name FAs in the Chiefs and Rams look to be meeting up in the SB…. Really wish McBenae would change their philosophy a bit and go with a more “all in” approach. Conservative from the top down. 

This is called cherry picking Scott.

You know who else were aggressive in the offseason?

- Pats

- Jets

- Jags

- Dolphins

- Tennessee 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Who is speculating?  Fans?  Makes no sense, coming off his best season and is only 29.

I have Disney+ and didn't realize Insider was included. I know ESPN+ is, but didn't know about insider. Thanks for that info

Yes, fans as well as a couple of the "in the know" types. Nothing concrete...which is why I used the world "speculating".

Makes no sense? He's 29, has had a history of concussions and just welcomed a new baby. Yea, wouldn't be a huge shock if he pulled a Patrick Willis and walked away while he can and enjoys his family and life after football. 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is called cherry picking Scott.

You know who else were aggressive in the offseason?

- Pats

- Jets

- Jags

- Dolphins

- Tennessee 

A worst case scenario is the Saints. 74 million over the cap. Brees retired . Payton knew it was a bad situation. So hes gone. They won't be competitive for 5-10 years. Only one team a season can 'win now". 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is it really that hard to understand my point? 

The Chiefs and Rams, both perennial playoff teams, identified their weaknesses last off-season and aggressively pursued them via FA to help get them back to the SB… the Bills took a more conservative, careful with money approach. I hope they adopt more of that aggressive behavior, but they are conservative by nature. 

You keep cherry picking.  There are teams that spent a lot in FA and nothing really showed for it.  

You act like we never spend any money and want us to be the top spender every single year.  We were top spenders in 2019 and the last 2 years we used money to retain White, Dawkins, Allen, Hyde, Milano and Poyer.  Those are players that help us.

We have won the division 2 years in a row and made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years....you still act like this is the 2015 Bills or something.

I can't imagine you being a Colts fan in the late 90's/early 2000's.  "Manning is 0-3 in the playoffs!  Clean house!"

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is it really that hard to understand my point? 

The Chiefs and Rams, both perennial playoff teams, identified their weaknesses last off-season and aggressively pursued them via FA to help get them back to the SB… the Bills took a more conservative, careful with money approach. I hope they adopt more of that aggressive behavior, but they are conservative by nature. 

The Chiefs strengthened through the draft. Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith were vital to their improvement. You are cherry picking. Besides they haven't won anything yet.

The poster child for this strategy are the Rams. Stafford, Ramsey, Miller, Whitworth.  Lets see if it works for them.

Edited by Seoulofstone

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

What you say doesn't change my point, which is that the Bills are not likely to be chasing other teams' big name free agents.

I am not sure what got lost in translation but I am agreeing with you that unlike 2020 and 2019 the Bills will not be spending big money on free agents and it will look more like 2021 where the big moves are talent retention.

2 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

The Chiefs strengthened through the draft. Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith were vital to their improvement. You are cherry picking. Besides they haven't won anything yet.

The poster child for this strategy are the Rams. Stafford, Ramsey, Miller, Whitworth.  Lets see if it works for them.

KC traded a 1st and 3rd for Orlando Brown and a 2nd while they also signed Thuney to a big money contract. KC made very aggressive moves to help their Oline. But I do agree that the Rams are the more “extreme” example.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, BarleyNY said:

Every time I see an ESPN insider article linked I have the same thought: Someone paid for ESPN insider?

I mean, show me someone who pays for ESPN insider and I’ll show you someone who puts ranch on their wings.  🤭

On 1/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

That was my thought. … 😂

It comes with my Disney+ subscription.

D+, Hulu, and ESPN+ (which includes Insider) in the bundle for like $15/month.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:00 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

If Payton leaves NO that might be an opportunity.

Panther’s don’t have a second or third round pick.

We have a guy in NY we might do business with on a Giants team that could be blown up.

NO might be a good place to look for FA since the team is apparently 61M over budget.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes, fans as well as a couple of the "in the know" types. Nothing concrete...which is why I used the world "speculating".

Makes no sense? He's 29, has had a history of concussions and just welcomed a new baby. Yea, wouldn't be a huge shock if he pulled a Patrick Willis and walked away while he can and enjoys his family and life after football. 

Speculating is lazy thinking. He's had his healthiest season this past one, lot of players have babies. It would be a huge shock for someone who is so valuable to a top team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.