ESPN Top 50 Free Agents

Royale with Cheese

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's a great corner. I disagree. He would be great to pair with White. But I do think he will be too expensive, and if New England lets him go their defense will be much worse.

He's a good #1 corner. He's a great #2 corner.  He will likely be paid like a top 2 or 3 CB on the NFL. Bo way he is worth that IMO.

1 hour ago, colin said:

chandler jones could have been the difference in a few games this year, including the sadness explosion on sunday.

id grab clowney and jones on short contracts, would be huge upgrades on houghs and addison.

we could use an OG, TE2, and some kinda speed on O.  we need another corner, but i think we can get one kinda late in the draft.

the real value tho is one single pass rusher who can get the job done.  its what we are missing

No, no, for God's sake no. This comes up every year. Just no

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cray51 said:

If we have the chance on a one year deal.... I'd consider bringing back Gilmore.  Tre and Gilmore can play such good blanket coverage, force teams to throw inside where Edmunds has length, and could give us a best in the NFL secondary.

I know we can play zone a lot as well, but Gilmore is a steroid Levi Wallace

Good point, I thought about that too. My first choice would be JC Jackson but we’re talking Tre White money for sure. Gilmore at the right price is not a bad idea.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I trust Beane to be careful and not go crazy with contracts. If you want sustainable success you can't just sign every name. You have to find value. The worst thing that can happen is to think we have to go all in. We don't. We have the most important piece to contend with for a long time.

Now it's time to find their counterpart on defense,  Edmunds isn't, neither Rousseau. (Or at least find another Lorax to lead them)

Donte Jackson is kind of an interesting conversation as a DB. Former Panther who was drafted to play in Ron Rivera's system. 

You want speed? 4.32 40 works. He is somewhat slight of build and has had an up and down career so far with coaching changes and injuries and such. But I think the potential is there. 

Former teammate of Tre White at LSU, who advocated for the front office to draft Jackson in 2018. Maybe he was on our radar, but he went in the second round, and we traded those picks to move up for Josh and Tremaine. 

I do not think he will be back in Carolina, and quite honestly would be a big upgrade that will likely come at a reasonable cost. 

At about the 12 second mark, watch him chase down Jaylen Waddle: 

Some rookie year highlights, playing for Rivera:

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Every time I see an ESPN insider article linked I have the same thought: Someone paid for ESPN insider?

I mean, show me someone who pays for ESPN insider and I’ll show you someone who puts ranch on their wings.  🤭

It's free with Disney+.   As is Hulu.   So any fan of pop culture(Marvel, Star Wars, Disney animation) or practically anyone with kids, a tv and a job probably pays for ESPN insider (or steals it).

So while I would never pay for it exclusively........show me someone who doesn't have it and I'll show you someone still using a dial up modem who has only ketchup and Coors Light in their fridge.  ;) 

• Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I trust Beane to be careful and not go crazy with contracts. If you want sustainable success you can't just sign every name. You have to find value. The worst thing that can happen is to think we have to go all in. We don't. We have the most important piece to contend with for a long time.

Rams are in the NFC title game... Bucs won last year... I think they built a solid foundation, now you go add a few "elite" level players.

Get rid of Star, Beas, Klein, Sanders, and restructure here and there, Bills go out and get themselves Chandler Jones and trade for Khalil Mack.

Can't just keep running it back, you try once fine, but a splash is needed here and there.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Donte Jackson is kind of an interesting conversation as a DB. Former Panther who was drafted to play in Ron Rivera's system. 

You want speed? 4.32 40 works. He is somewhat slight of build and has had an up and down career so far with coaching changes and injuries and such. But I think the potential is there. 

Former teammate of Tre White at LSU, who advocated for the front office to draft Jackson in 2018. Maybe he was on our radar, but he went in the second round, and we traded those picks to move up for Josh and Tremaine. 

I do not think he will be back in Carolina, and quite honestly would be a big upgrade that will likely come at a reasonable cost. 

My thoughts exactly.

Projected to get around $10M per year by PFF.......which is steep for a guy who is still more potential than performance though......but he IS likely to actually make it to free agency because of the Panthers other big investments in CB.

Sneaky cost-efficient "one player" makeover for the D might be Packers LB DeVondre Campbell.   

Projected to get 2 years @ $6.5M per...........he could succeed Edmunds at MLB.........put Edmunds outside where hopefully he could just do more running and hitting..........and play more 3 LB sets.

Addresses both susceptibility to the run and QB containment issues.     With so many experienced players in the unit it is time that the defense started to morph into something more multiple.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My thoughts exactly.

Projected to get around $10M per year by PFF.......which is steep for a guy who is still more potential than performance though......but he IS likely to actually make it to free agency because of the Panthers other big investments in CB.

Sneaky cost-efficient "one player" makeover for the D might be Packers LB DeVondre Campbell.   

Projected to get 2 years @ $6.5M per...........he could succeed Edmunds at MLB.........put Edmunds outside where hopefully he could just do more running and hitting..........and play more 3 LB sets.

Addresses both susceptibility to the run and QB containment issues.     With so many experienced players in the unit it is time that the defense started to morph into something more multiple.

I actually wanted Campbell last year. I am guessing he and the Packers do everything to keep him there, because it seems he finally found a home. But that dude is a good player and has been for some time, but he's a nomad. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Cordarelle Patterson.  He's 31, so he shouldnt be expensive,  but he brings versatility as a 3rd down RB, WR and at worst is a good kick returner. 

Would absolutely love this. Reliable kick returner/punt returner, a terrific 3rd down RB, can pull spot start duty at WR, can even start at RB if needed. A true Swiss Army knife and seems like a process kind of guy. 

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me Scherff is the guy who ties this o-line together. And you have to think he is looking for a change and wanting to win. Andrew Norwell makes sense too, as a guy just below Scherff. 

DJ Chark would add a different dynamic, and his still young with upside coming off an injury again. 

If we get away from the small slot guy, Mike Gesicki, PSU guy with upside. I hate him, because he always makes plays against us, so go get him. two tight end sets, with he and Knox would create an interesting Dynamic, along with Diggs and Davis...those are some big, fast weapons. 

I'd be all over this acquisition.

He played T at Iowa--I wonder if he could get by at Center in a pinch.

Beane and McDermott greatly favor OLmen who can play all up and down the line.

We need to get some QUALITY guys on this line, and fast.

You can wish but in reality wait to the FA period to start.  Teams will resign or tag top FA.  Beane will do his usual routine of signing mid level guys to fit specific roles.  The Draft will be for positions of need.  

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

So many ancient, old or often injured guys on that list.  I still can't believe Justin Houston still plays!  What a career.  

I'd look into Fournette to pair him with Singletary. 

right! he went in 2nd rd the Dareus year didnt he?  man what a blunder of a pick in a HOF draft class!! barfffff

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me Scherff is the guy who ties this o-line together. And you have to think he is looking for a change and wanting to win. Andrew Norwell makes sense too, as a guy just below Scherff. 

DJ Chark would add a different dynamic, and his still young with upside coming off an injury again. 

If we get away from the small slot guy, Mike Gesicki, PSU guy with upside. I hate him, because he always makes plays against us, so go get him. two tight end sets, with he and Knox would create an interesting Dynamic, along with Diggs and Davis...those are some big, fast weapons. 

I like the idea of Gesicki, but I think bringing him in means we do not re-sign Knox next year. I am seeing reports of $10-$13M per year for MG. I wouldn't hate it, but Knox is an important part of this team and locker room. I don't think the FO is willing to move from him just to have both TE's for 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I actually wanted Campbell last year. I am guessing he and the Packers do everything to keep him there, because it seems he finally found a home. But that dude is a good player and has been for some time, but he's a nomad. 

You'd think GB would try to keep him.........but if Rodgers leaves(likely if only due to salary cap) Campbell might want to go where there is an established QB.    Depends how much he wants to win.

I think it should be abundantly clear by now that Edmunds has too much physical talent to just let him get worked over like a dope against good QB's by having him play center field in this defense.    It was one thing when he was cheap.........now the $13M guaranteed cap hit comes.     They need plays made for that money and they aren't going to get them from him as currently aligned.

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

I like the idea of Gesicki, but I think bringing him in means we do not re-sign Knox next year. I am seeing reports of $10-$13M per year for MG. I wouldn't hate it, but Knox is an important part of this team and locker room. I don't think the FO is willing to move from him just to have both TE's for 2022. 

Yeah that makes sense. My stance is that if they aren't going to invest in a slot guy, might as well invest in two tight ends who can play in the slot. 

Maybe a cheaper guy might be Ian Thomas, who they seemed to really like at draft time. Maybe a Maxx Williams type guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.