Without Tre White

Thriftygamer83

Without Tre can remember sportswriters and analysts saying we were done.  Our defensive unit was forced to rely heavily upon safety zones and man coverages to catch up.  Let's be honest Tre is a future hall of fame corner back.  And, he brought more to the corner spot then anyone else.  We weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs or even get past the wild card without Tre.  A pick by Poyer changed the complexion of the Bills and Patriots game.  We should've of had to rely so heavily on Tre but he's the bread and butter of helping the defensive front get their pressure and generating the coverage sacks.  It showed in the end when we blew out KC earlier this season and had Tre.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Without Tre can remember sportswriters and analysts saying we were done.  Our defensive unit was forced to rely heavily upon safety zones and man coverages to catch up.  Let's be honest Tre is a future hall of fame corner back.  And, he brought more to the corner spot then anyone else.  We weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs or even get past the wild card without Tre.  A pick by Poyer changed the complexion of the Bills and Patriots game.  We should've of had to rely so heavily on Tre but he's the bread and butter of helping the defensive front get their pressure and generating the coverage sacks.  It showed in the end when we blew out KC earlier this season and had Tre.  

Love Tre and think he was definitely missed the other night.  But he’s got a long way to go before being considered Hall Of Fame level.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, mjfbillsfan said:

Just curious what, if any, news there is on his injury and time table to get back.  As a corner I can’t imagine he will be 100 percent next year.  

No full status slated until 2023 he's been cleared for 2022 on a spot duty and rotation basis.  We might wind up playing a more aggressive style.  With a tighter man to man coverage ratio instead of zone or bubbles.  Cleared with an ACL means that a player is spot duty for the next year and will come back the year after in full duties.

7 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

This is very weak sauce IMO.  Firstly, it’s not like KC wasn’t missing some key pieces of their team Sunday night.  In fact, they were missing more than the Bills were.  Secondly, some people myself included, discussed how egregiously thin our CBs and secondary corps were during the off-season.  IOL too.  Meanwhile tremendous cap and draft capital was poured into the DL, but we have only seen average to good results out of that so far.  It’s been a poor value for what’s been spent. 

While we weren’t going to find anyone who could fill Tre’s shoes, we could’ve gotten both another decent CB and S who could spell our starters without being total liabilities.  That might’ve been nice to have against KC.  McDermott went all in on the DL so they would have a very deep rotation and they could stay fresh.  But the secondary was paper thin going into the season and that definitely cost us Sunday. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

The only silver lining is Dane Jackson looks like at minimum solid depth. I'm wondering what we do with Levi in the off season. And I think we win that game with Tre as CB1. 

In fairness, them losing Tyrann Mathieu so early in the game kinda cancels out us missing Tre. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Better draft the best CB available just in case, ACLs are serious trouble for any player. Mostly mental though

This.  Tre will be back but no telling if he's going to be the same guy, and if we're going to get past KC we need to figure out how to cover their WRs/TE.  Of course, Beane will draft the best DL available first 2 rounds.  Maybe we can get a speedy CB in FA whose flaws can be mitigated by our Safeties

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In fairness, them losing Tyrann Mathieu so early in the game kinda cancels out us missing Tre. 

And a starting CB was out already, right? This game was lost by bad strategy for less than a quarter minute. When you’re competing at championship level, that’s all it takes. Individual players miss games, even in the playoffs. Sure the Chiefs scored more points than they did in the October meeting, and the defensive strategy probably reflected Whites absence. Still it worked because the Bills had the lead with just seconds left. The coaches proceeded to blow it in spectacular fashion. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

I don't know, I think Tre White makes one or two plays in a razor thin game that could change the outcome. He is better than any of our CBs by a country mile.

Players are sometimes unavailable, even star CBs. That’s why coaching matters. 

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

I don't know, I think Tre White makes one or two plays in a razor thin game that could change the outcome. He is better than any of our CBs by a country mile.

Bills adjusted their scheme once Tre went down - safeties picked up the slack so Levi & Dane didnt have to do everything.   Put Tre back in, Safeties can play more agressively.  We need Tre back, and we need another CB2. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, foreboding said:

He’s never on Hill or Kelce and when he is he is being burned. He might have made a play but you can see how much our Pro Bowl FS’s cover up for our CB’s. 

My take on it is their really isn’t a CB in the NFL who can cover these two. The answer to the question is better pass rush and well timed blitzes but our DC is too much of a gutless coward to do that.

I think we missed him against KC - but it's hard to know.  That game was a shootout no matter what.

Overall, it's hard to blame injuries. It's rare that a team gets through the season without losing a good or great player, or a few of them.  KC lost Mathieu very early on. We took some advantage of that, but I felt like we could have exploited that more (hate to sound so clinical about that - obviously, you never want to see a player get hurt in a big game, but the reality is that he was out & it gave the Bills an opportunity).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.